Gaming dimensions

4 posters

Go down

Gaming dimensions Empty Gaming dimensions

Post by mickdude2 1/9/2013, 5:38 pm

Recently I was watching a video series done by a group known as 'Extra Credit'. Whether or not you've heard of them, they raise interesting points on gaming and the dimensions expressed within a game. Several of their videos are thought-provoking and informational, and it's obvious they do their homework.

Take This video for example. Here, they discuss what makes a game pleasurable and why. They narrow it down to nine categories: Sensation, Fantasy, Narrative, Challenge, Fellowship, Discovery, Expression, and Submission (or Abnegation). Watch the video for full explanations on each, but my point (yes, there is a point buried under all this) is that minecraft, in some way, contains all of these nine points. I won't give away it all, but they do talk about minecraft's unique ability to capture these traits. What I want to hear from you is how you think oasis captures some (or all, for our try-hard's) of the core gaming goals.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Gaming dimensions Empty Re: Gaming dimensions

Post by Grimtongue 1/10/2013, 1:30 pm

Very interesting stuff.
Grimtongue
Grimtongue
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 1/10/2013, 5:47 pm

I am going to have to bookmark that video. I really want to watch it and see their comments on minecrafts ability to draw such complex people into what looks like such a simple game.
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by commander_chair 1/10/2013, 6:15 pm

mickdude2 wrote:What I want to hear from you is how you think oasis captures some (or all, for our try-hard's) of the core gaming goals.
Isn't it simple? we have cookies.
commander_chair
commander_chair
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down