I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree.

+2
Blaine
LenTox_245
6 posters

Go down

I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree. Empty I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree.

Post by LenTox_245 12/13/2018, 10:56 am

First off, Apple overprices all of their products. When it was first released; $1,000 for the iPhone X. I don't know why someone would pay that much for something as small as a phone. You aren't even really paying for the product anymore, it seems all the product's prices are high because of the brand. Also, even though its not a really strong part of the argument, they have created so many useless (in most cases) products or software that is just apple-themed. iCloud, iPad, ApplePay, and AppleMusic, just to name a few. I also dislike how closed-source (I think thats what its called, correct me if I'm wrong) their operating system(s?) are. Android is a much more open OS and (although its wrong, i know) you can download hacked versions of apps, you can edit the system, and you can also (even though its a bad thing lmao) brick your device if you aren't careful. I have used Samsung for the past 5 years and each phone has served me well, and although I am switching to the Oneplus 5t soon, I wish I could afford a newer Samsung phone, but I am looking for something different. In late December 2017, Apple was accused of slowing down older iPhones. There were eight lawsuits against Apple, including one for almost $1 trillion. The suits claimed that Apple defrauded customers by not disclosing its actions sooner. Over 2 years ago, Apple made a software change in the devices so they could slow down older devices to 'preserve battery performance'. Many consumers believed this was occurring naturally as the phone aged so many people bought new devices, instead of replacing the phone battery at a fraction of the cost. 'Apple has $268.9 billion in cash and marketable securities, more than $250b of which it's holding outside the U.S. As the result of the Donor Relief Act of 2017 (aka the Trump tax cuts), Apple can now bring that money back into the U.S. at a 15.5% rather than 35% tax rate. Rather than investing in manufacturing plants and jobs in the U.S., though, the company is planning a huge stock buyback.' (Inc. https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/7-reasons-weve-fallen-out-of-love-with-apple.html) Apple has also not been as bold and creative recently, only making the minimum upgrades to new phones to keep current Apple users comfortable with the company and buying the newest handsets as they are released. The first phone(s) to introduce wireless charging appeared late October in 2013. The first iPhone to finally incorporate wireless charging was the iPhone 8 that was released in late September 2017.
I need to leave for now but I will keep editing this so please let me know how y'all feel about this

Last edited by LenTox_245 on 12/13/2018, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added some more reasons)
LenTox_245
LenTox_245
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

https://www.youtube.com

Back to top Go down

I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree. Empty Re: I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree.

Post by Blaine 12/13/2018, 3:07 pm

Well, I can agree that apple overprices SOME of there products but some of there products are worth the money you pay. The new 2018 MacBook air is only 1060 dollars. This may sound like a lot but you have to understand how compact and how great the display on the Laptop is. The computer weighs under 5 pounds and has 8 gigs of Ram. Along with a fast SSD. It also comes with a lot of other applications that can help you. It has iMessage and Facetime that come with the phone too. You have the ability to download apps and also have a easy operating system to work with. Also, your argument about some of there products being useless is in my opinion very wrong. iCloud, iPad, ApplePay, Apple Music are all useful. Especially iPad and iCloud. Just because the company that makes it is Apple does not mean it deserves automatic hate. Also, you said that the OS for the iPhones is bad but in fact it is very amazing! It is simple and userfriendly. You have the ability to contact loved ones from out of the country without an international play because of iMessage. I actually agree with apple 'slowing down older devices' because you have to agree that they can't be working on 20 iPhone models at the same time just because people want them faster. I feel like the iPhones are really underrated because of all of the features they have. Maybe some of the features are stupid to you but in some cases are very useful. For example, Some may say that the face ID is usless and does not work but in fact, it does work because if it didn't why would they release it to billions of people? Wireless charging? I couldn't care less about wireless charging. All you Samsung followers hate apple because of there price and how bad there products are but in reality all of the points you made are opinion based and don't apply to everyone. Maybe there products are expensive but you have to agree that they are getting cheaper by the model. Also, one more thing, You can get 16 gigs of ram in a computer that is under 5 pounds. It is all about personal preference so therefore your argument is more of a opinion of a business.
Blaine
Blaine
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree. Empty Re: I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree.

Post by Persephone 12/13/2018, 5:23 pm

I think this image originally posted by SilentSub on the oasis discord server is relevant here

I hate Apple. Prove me wrong, or tell me why you disagree. YtGCI3b
Persephone
Persephone
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Just_Wanna_Vouch_For_Lina 12/13/2018, 5:43 pm

Just a reminder:
Apple thinks a tablet is worth $1700.

A Tablet...

Just_Wanna_Vouch_For_Lina
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Lina 12/13/2018, 6:30 pm

Y'all i logged in from starbucks just to participate in this apple storytime

I don't hate apple, but their computers leave much to be desired for me, especially for their price tag.

When I started college for art in 2012, they encouraged us to buy apple computers because "you'll need them eventually for professional use, and they're the best for 'creatives' ".  The school had a deal with the apple store and got students a (very slight) discount. I got a macbook air for $1300. It was good for one thing: browsing the internet. That's it. When i tried to run any of the adobe suite programs I needed, it sounded like a jet plane about to take flight. Not even minecraft runs on that thing without overheating in 20 minutes. My current laptop* is cheaper than that piece of garbage, and I can't even resell it for half of what I bought it for. And honestly? Everything I "needed" the mac for could be done just fine from my personal laptop a the time, and my personal laptop wasn't even that great.

//////
edit: I checked the specs when I got home and that macbook air was a core i7 with ssd and 4gb ram; I can't believe I spent $1300 on hot garbage.
I feel like they're great for people who only need to browse, play light games, or write on the go. It was good when I didn't want to carry my heavier laptop to class or cafes when I had an essay to work on. Maybe it would've run a bit batter with more ram >-> but $1300 was already over budget.
The *laptop I have now is only 4.8 lbs, with ssd, i7, 12gb ram, 1tb storage, and  it's 15.6" - perfect for travel and home use. It runs minecraft and my other games just fine, and I can count on it to run multiple programs at once when I'm working on a project. It was about $1100ish when I got it, and it's about $880 now.

The true selling point for mac, in my eyes, is (like Blaine mentioned) the display. I have seen the difference between my laptop and the macs regarding screen display. Colors do show up more correctly on the mac. It is a significant difference. I just don't feel it's enough to justify that price for my purposes. For someone who lives and breathes adobe creative cloud, it's absolutely a cutting edge difference. My primary uses for it are to adjust levels on photos and scans, or design form templates for the office though. Sometimes I do use it for vector art, some simple design work, or I mess around with wacom, but I'm getting by just fine by printing proofs and color correcting as needed. I can also play with my display settings and set the light more neutral. It's not as Perfect™️ as mac, but it's close enough.

//////

Their desktops are solid, from what I've done with them on campus. Both schools I attended offered free access at the computer labs. They're super expensive though. They were still slower than my laptop, but I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the computer itself, or the network and heavy long term usage.

Apple peaked for me with the ipod line. I love my ipod classic, there's so much storage. I keep replacing it with a refurbished one since they all inevitably die of hard drive failure (the first and last ipod model with moving parts, iirc). The other iPods are nice too; less storage but smaller and more durable. I like the itunes library for organizing playlists, and you can add music from your cds and any mp3 files. The classic screen was big enough to watch little mp4 videos on too. Ipod is the only apple product worth the money to me right now.

I know the iphones take glorious pictures, but they're still way out of my price range. I am considering a new phone within the next couple years though, since I've had this droid for about 5 or 6 years now.  I need something that takes good pictures but won't set my bank account on fire. Either that, or I'll invest in a nice digital camera.

Yeet

Wow, I missed the part about the arbitrary slowing of phones. The lithium-ion aging looks like a cop-out to save face. Those batteries are used in a wide assortment of products. Name me one other company who throttles their products, without their customers' knowledge, due to an aging battery. Apple sells battery replacements. Why would someone want a slower phone when they can simply change the battery? Slowing without the customers' knowledge or consent is shady. I understand this aging had a unique impact on the iphone, but had Apple been upfront about their shortcomings, people would've known to replace the battery. I can't justify burning $1k on a phone with no longevity. Yikes.

Last edited by Lina on 12/14/2018, 1:16 am; edited 4 times in total
Lina
Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentSubscriber 12/13/2018, 8:12 pm

Howdy, as some may know, I am Anti apple. Its not from just blind hate. I had an Ipod, and Ipod nano. I've used apple tv (and set them up countless times) Same goes iphone, ipad, macs, macbooks. I've set them up and tried to troubleshoot them when broken. Anyways...

Its only somewhat recently that apple has become worse and worse.

For the "Creativity" aspect. Yes, for earlier macs (And I'm talking early) the screens were well made and were better for displaying color. Nowadays, Macs and MacBooks are subpar for pretty much anything except looks (which I'll get to later) This isnt just the fault of apple (adobe and apple feud is interesting, look it up if you have a chance) Modern screens are just as good if not better going higher up. For their phone screen, they are nice. I'm currently repairing a 4s, and the screen looks quite nice and is sharp. Nowadays they are just making the same screen and charging more, or with the case of the R, worse screen with a higher cost. If you look at other companies, they have equally as colorful screens with good response times as well. 

The Camera. I am not a camera guy. I know a little, but nothing too crazy. But personal comparison shows that at cameras at that price point, it isnt anything too crazy.

The OS.
Not a fan of MacOS. I find it hard to look at and use. While it has changed, the customizability has never really been there and like it or not, alot of programs are not made with mac in mind. Windows rules the business world (and the hacked world).  This is a personal opinion, but I'm not a fan of how it feels to use. It feels slow. While I agree its good for internet surfing users, for people who have to get stuff done, its lacking

The Price!

This is the biggest problem I have with apple. Their products would be fine, If they didnt charge so much for them. As shown by Chaos on Discord,
the cost is too high. Charging 1k for a phone is highway robbery. And the computers are too much for their power. Why would anyone buy this? Product Associaton, thats why.

Apple trys to appear to be for the elite, the richest of the rich. So people that have no clue what they are doing buy it for the looks. It isnt uncommon to see apple products in a place where there is a socioeconomic divide. You have people with lower incomes buy iphone to try to stay with trends and appear more successful than they are. Then people with disposable income, buy them as the marketing works on them too and so the buying continues. I have to give it to apple, their marketing works. They established themselves with good products for the weathy and then decreased their quality and increased the cost, very clever.

The look also gets people. Apple products look sleek and cutting-edge, emphasis on "cutting". Their products are small and light. Its designed to look modern and high tech. touchscreen all over! function bar? who uses that, touchscreen it is! in comparison to other companies, the style and look is very nice. The phones look good as well. they are great for people who have no need of anything past a web browser or instagram picture taker.

Finally, innovation. Not only apple, but phones havent seen any real innovation in some time. Jobs may have not been the best person, but He helped make phones what they are today. But since then, innovation has been minimal at best. Larger screens, flatter devices, if it keeps up, there will be a day where the iphone will be as large as the ipad. personally, I'd trade slimness for more usability. The same goes for computer,s with the desire of slimmer computers we have forgone many useful features. Ethernet: gone, usb: 2 at most, sd or mini sd: Gone, displayport: gone, HDMI:gone. THE F@!$@!!**%@! AUX PORT: GONE! *and samsung says its going to become a "prenium feature" we have lost alot in the desire to become slimmer than a credit card. 

To kind of wrap this up, I dont think apple is a bad company. As a company, they are ingenious. They charge high rates for shite products and have many many fingers in many pots. If you get one apple device, you have to get them all for them to work nicely. innovation has been down accross the board and rehashing the same product over and over again with a higher cost each time is great for apple, horrible for the endusers/

-Silent
SilentSubscriber
SilentSubscriber
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCajwveudwmWWcs3b3ItnTnw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down