Leagle
Kevo235
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Wall of Protest Empty My Wall of Protest

Post by Kevo235 5/29/2012, 3:52 pm

My Wall of Protest 2wrgmcj

This is protesting the diamond block rule. Protesting is not against the rules, but punishing me for building with diamond blocks is.

The way I see it, if I get punished; so be it. I don't want to be on a server that has pointless rules like this. People often ask why i'm so against this, and why I don't just let it go.. my answer to that is another question: why be so defensive of it? We made the rule when we didn't have LB, now we have LB... what's the point in the rule now then? There is none, so get rid of it, that's my stance.

If nothing happens, there's no reasons to have the rule also. Why have a rule that we don't enforce? That's crazy!

In closing, I don't want to see anyone punished for building with a block that's harmless, that's why I want rid of the rule.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

My Wall of Protest Empty Re: My Wall of Protest

Post by Leagle 5/29/2012, 4:37 pm

Wow you do like to overreact.

Aslo some tips:
The wall is very plain.. just a flat wall of nothing.
Make it more dynamic, like a nice roof ontop of it or something.
Also make a pattern in the wall, that would be cute.
Leagle
Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 5/29/2012, 4:49 pm

Leagle wrote:Wow you do like to overreact.

And the wall is plain. If you are going to make a statement, make it big and make it impressive.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 5/29/2012, 5:17 pm

Just a quick FYI

I found a diamond block (or rather two guests found a diamondblock) that was pretty well hidden near bedrock level. I know who placed it and these guests made quite an effort to steal said block and presumably use it for themselves. (I obviously took the block and stored it somewhere safe).

Again, why fix this rule when the rule itself is fine? No offense but you are making it seem as if we have categorized diamond blocks as a banned item. Even if we have LB it's just an overall pain in the ass to recover the diamonds, and by the time that the grief is fixed the damage is already done.

Leave this topic alone, please.

madscientist032
madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

https://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 5/29/2012, 6:57 pm

madscientist032 wrote:Leave this topic alone, please.

I will stand for what I believe in. Also, there is a rule that says you can't build with diamonds, so, with all rules, we need to enforce it, which I think is wrong. In simple terms. Also, I said that in my post. I bet nobody even read it.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertPanda 5/29/2012, 7:22 pm

So you're driving it to the point of either we punish you, or abolish the rule.
InvertPanda
InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 5/29/2012, 8:17 pm

InvertPanda wrote:So you're driving it to the point of either we punish you, or abolish the rule.

Please don't punish kevo. He's one of my favorite staff.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 5/29/2012, 9:28 pm

InvertPanda wrote:So you're driving it to the point of either we punish you, or abolish the rule.

Kind of. I don't think anyone has the heart to punish someone for doing this, so i'm just, in a way, showing you how pointless it is to have it.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MrShatang 5/29/2012, 9:31 pm

Leagle wrote:Wow you do like to overreact.

Aslo some tips:
The wall is very plain.. just a flat wall of nothing.
Make it more dynamic, like a nice roof ontop of it or something.
Also make a pattern in the wall, that would be cute.
Some windows might make it nice too.

MrShatang
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by JAMESTHEJRAGON 5/29/2012, 9:32 pm

First of all.... Why does anyone care how the wall looks? Its "The wall of protest" little pun anyone? Also, yeah I would like very much to build a diamond house next :P, GO DIAMOND BLOCKS!
JAMESTHEJRAGON
JAMESTHEJRAGON
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MrShatang 5/29/2012, 9:55 pm

JAMESTHEJRAGON wrote:First of all.... Why does anyone care how the wall looks? Its "The wall of protest" little pun anyone? Also, yeah I would like very much to build a diamond house next :P, GO DIAMOND BLOCKS!
Dude I was just joking around with leagle.

MrShatang
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by vampiresfire 5/29/2012, 11:27 pm

Yeah im with kevo on this not because i want to build with diamonds but because the argument to keep the rule is so weak.

I have heard a lot of crappy arguments for the rule but the best one is its a grief magnet. Now we could get into how gold is really no different from diamond and so on but given im bored with that argument.

Grief magnets are good because they attract a would be griefer away from other stuff such as farm animals. So grief magnets help us purge griefers from the server and or identify them. given we don't like griefing it is logically consistent that we take steps to identify and remove them.
vampiresfire
vampiresfire
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 5/29/2012, 11:32 pm

vampiresfire wrote:Yeah im with kevo on this not because i want to build with diamonds but because the argument to keep the rule is so weak.

I have heard a lot of crappy arguments for the rule but the best one is its a grief magnet. Now we could get into how gold is really no different from diamond and so on but given im bored with that argument.

Grief magnets are good because they attract a would be griefer away from other stuff such as farm animals. So grief magnets help us purge griefers from the server and or identify them. given we don't like griefing it is logically consistent that we take steps to identify and remove them.

This pretty much sums up what I was about to write.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

My Wall of Protest Empty Sword of protest!

Post by JAMESTHEJRAGON 5/30/2012, 4:08 pm

In support of Kevo, and diamond blocks, I have built a Legit Diamond sword, using diamond blocks of course.
[img]My Wall of Protest 2012-018[/img]
JAMESTHEJRAGON
JAMESTHEJRAGON
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle 5/30/2012, 4:57 pm

JAMESTHEJRAGON wrote:In support of Kevo, and diamond blocks, I have built a Legit Diamond sword, using diamond blocks of course.

Ok i'm going to make something very clear right now.

Kevo came to the staff with the idea to legalize diamond blocks.
We've had a big discussion about it, which included me going against this and to prevent the rule change from happening.
There were also some staff who had their doubts and some who'd agree with kevo or me.
After a while kevo still chose to change the rule and legalize the diamond blocks.

However, this went without an definite vote or agreement of all the staff.
We had a poll running for some time on if we should change the rule or not.
In the end, the majority of the staff chose not to change the rule and to keep it as it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other then that.
For the protesting, Kevo is right on the topic that protesting isn't against the rules.
However! That does not give you any rights to break any of the rules!
You are still breaking Rule [IV - D. & VIII] with the diamond block creations.
And i am pretty sure you both know that there will be consequences if you continue on building protest monuments.
This also applies to any other members who plan on protesting with diamond block creations/monuments.

Let this be a warning.
Leagle
Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 5/30/2012, 5:16 pm

Leagle wrote:Let this be a warning.

I'm guessing you still haven't read my post. (well, not everyone reads things, but it helps form an argument)

Here's the deal: that's exactly what I was going for; a warning: what's after the warning? A ban? Go ahead, see how that looks on the convicted thread. "Banned player: Kevo235, Reason: Building with diamond blocks" Your threats won't stop my protesting. The wall stays.

Secondly, on the topic of the staff decision, you're right. However, I feel that the players should have the right to choose what rules they're governed by. After all: we were all players at some point. If we make Oasis Authoritarian, i'm out. I don't want to play on a server that likes to boss me around.

Seriously though, someone provide a valid reason why diamonds shouldn't be allowed... and don't say because they can be griefed, because everything can be griefed.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Heisenberg 5/30/2012, 5:17 pm

I'm going to be honest, this is the reason I want them to stay banned. People use diamond blocks for the sake of using diamond blocks. If diamond blocks were used just for decoration this would be less of a problem, but I've seen new $50 donors build whole houses out of them to show off their new command. If it was simply the centrepiece of some decorative wall, or atop a grand pillar of awesomeness it would be fine. The problem is people overuse them just for the sake of it. IMO a much better protest would be to build something were diamond blocks are actually needed, not building the grief wall of China. Build something were diamond blocks are needed, like a sprite or something creative. I tried every other block on my Stark Tower, but none looked as accurate and good as diamond blocks.

On the subject of my tower, I asked Andrew beforehand if I was allowed to use diamond blocks. He said yes, as we have LogBlock. I'm fairly certain if we started having huge diamond monuments popping up and being griefed constantly his opinion may change. Diamond blocks, IMO, should be used sparsely and only when no other block looks as good.

Edit: Or just disable /i diamondblock;diamond and make the gem and block creative only. This allows staff to use it (Hopfully purging the donors that will overuse them) and make it so staff can place the blocks for the donors, after asking why and judging whether or not it's needed.
Heisenberg
Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by JAMESTHEJRAGON 5/30/2012, 5:41 pm

I dont know if that aimed at me taccy, but I dont have /i, so yeah :P, also I do think not allowing /i diamondblock/diamond would be cool, but maybe the donors who can spawn would like to touch on the subject.
JAMESTHEJRAGON
JAMESTHEJRAGON
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Heisenberg 5/30/2012, 5:45 pm

JAMESTHEJRAGON wrote:I dont know if that aimed at me taccy, but I dont have /i, so yeah :P, also I do think not allowing /i diamondblock/diamond would be cool, but maybe the donors who can spawn would like to touch on the subject.

It wasn't at you, diamond tools for statues are something I've wanted to do for a while.
Heisenberg
Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 5/30/2012, 6:08 pm

Taccy wrote:If diamond blocks were used just for decoration this would be less of a problem, but I've seen new $50 donors build whole houses out of them to show off their new command.

Well, I never said that we have to allow them all the way. Final, King and I have talk and I think that the best solution would be a middle-grounds. Allowing diamond blocks until they are used to a level that is overusing them. That level is to be decided by a staff vote. Something like that.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 5/30/2012, 6:23 pm

Kevo235 wrote: the best solution would be a middle-grounds

I have to agree with kevo on this point. In our cities, we don't allow people to build with all cobble or all one substance. Diamond block should be like this.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH 5/30/2012, 11:38 pm

As odd as it may seem.....
I'm going to support Kevo in this one.

While I still really don't care if diamond blocks are banned or not, Kevo and quite a few other players are really passionate about this.
Some good points have come up for both sides of the argument, but as far as I'm concerned there really isn't any reason for them to remain banned for use. We have LB, we've got it covered.

So while I only speak for myself, not for staff as a whole, I support this "protest".
Of course I won't change the rule without the consent of the majority of staff,
but I won't be banning anyone who I catch using said blocks.

Keep in mind, if another staff bans you, then that's your problem, I won't be of help there.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 5/31/2012, 12:25 am

ChaosTheoryJRH wrote:Keep in mind, if another staff bans you, then that's your problem, I won't be of help there.

That's fine, i'm sure the fallout of the action would be enough reason for someone not to do it. Thank you for your input, Justin.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 6/5/2012, 6:43 pm

So, the rule is changed?
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner