4emersons
ThunderHorse
JinxisJinxed
BABlaze
9 posters

Go down

Patriot Idea Empty Patriot Idea

Post by BABlaze 1/17/2018, 11:43 pm

I think it would be neat to change Trusted plus to Patriot as a name because then it would be more of a separate rank vs a extension of trusted. 

-Patriot in my opinion has a neater ring to it.
-It would be more interesting to get a new rank than the same one with a + on it.
-It wouldn't imply your a 1st class trusted vs 2nd class like tr+, but more that you were promoted to something entirely different.
-It would be more flexible in its definition because its less attached to trusted allowing it to evolve.
-Just as an analogy I would rather become a mod than something like member+++++++ etc.\

-Also I don't mean this as tr+ is bad I'm just saying this might make it more interested like when vet was changed to Oasian.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Patriot Idea Empty Re: Patriot Idea

Post by JinxisJinxed 1/18/2018, 12:26 am

Patriot, personally, has a very american based tone about it? It just doesn't really fit with what Oasis is..I wouldn't be opposed to a new name, but I really don't think that this is the one. I sorta do like Trusted and Trusted plus though, somewhat of Oasis classic.
JinxisJinxed
JinxisJinxed
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderHorse 1/18/2018, 9:29 am

No need to change oasis into something its not. Patriot is an american word not used much anywhere else. Majority of players are from other parts of the world. I say leave things the way they are now
ThunderHorse
ThunderHorse
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by 4emersons 1/18/2018, 6:02 pm

I agree with what Thunder and Jinxed said. In my opinion, the term "patriot" would not fit well into our rank system as it pretty much says that you love your country and is mostly used in American culture. 

In your original post in this thread, it sounded like you don't want Trusted+ to sound similar to the trust rank. But that is the entire purpose of Trusted+: to reward people who are extra trustworthy, but still short of other things like Oasian or staff ranks. It is meant to be a better version of Trusted. Your analogy about Mod being like "Member++++++++++" does not relate to your argument well. Mod, when compared to member, has a completely different set of expectations and requirements as well as different qualifications. Same with architect, veteran, oasian, etc.. However, trusted+ and trusted has the same qualifications, expectations, etc., just to a higher extent for Trusted+. 

That is just my take on it. I could be wrong about that, but that is how I believe it to work. I am an oldie who tends to resist change and have not been active on the server in a long time. I am a fan of the classic ranks. I never liked the term Oasian. For however much influence an out-dated player like me has, I say we should leave it the same.
4emersons
4emersons
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze 1/18/2018, 6:39 pm

Okay I get where your coming from with the tr+ being an extension of tr but in that case why not something like vet-trusted, I just think tr with a + after it is a bit boring for a prefix change. Also the mod analogy wasn't meant to be like a literal thing just a simple sample (like member+++++ is Oasian or guest+ is member etc) to get my point across so I'm sorry if you took that the wrong way. As for the patriot being an American thing I was going for patriot to Oasis but now that I think about it something like Virtuous which is more universal would fit better.

Also just to touch on what 4emer said about not 100% liking Oasian I think its kind of odd as well just cause it sounds more like your an oasis citizen aka member vs an enthusiastic member of oasis. So not to say that it doesn't fit, cause it does, but it seems kind of conflicted and slightly confusing for new players but that's just an opinion so ye.

Just as another opinion to add to this page I do like how Oasis is now but it's nice to have a change every once and a while cause it keeps the new players coming and the old ones coming back. If nothing ever changed on Oasis the old players would get bored and the new ones would join newer servers. They have map resets almost exactly for this reason.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lina 1/18/2018, 8:24 pm

Member, Trusted, Trusted+, artisan, veteran, and the staff ranks are somewhat self explanatory. If I saw Patriot or Virtuous I'd just think it was a custom prefix. Switching to abnormal rank names would make things confusing to both new players and returning players. I never liked "Oasian", but at least it relates to Oasis. /thoughts

tl;dr If it isn't broken don't fix it
Lina
Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 1/18/2018, 11:01 pm

Id just like to point out how the people saying “patriot” is an American term that people from other parts of the world wouldnt relate to are all Americans...

Patriotism was a thing before y’all starting dumping tea in the Delaware. The French Revolution, WWI, the Bolshevik Revolution, these were all done by people who called themselves patriots.

And come on. Dumping tea in the Delaware? Thats so wasteful. Y’alls is just ignorant.
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by JinxisJinxed 1/19/2018, 7:03 am

In somewhat replying to Shnoork about the patriot bit, I know the term is used in many other places as well and it's not just an American based word, but with culture and society today, the whole "'Murica" business, America has sort of, I don't know, dirtied isn't the right word. It's become a bit warped in my opinion. As for the ranks themseleves, I might be relatively new to Oasis, but I do agree with Lina. When I joined, even after never playing on an SMP or really any server before, the ranks were pretty easy to understand. Perhaps some other name in the future could be added or changed, but for now, I think what we have does a darn good job.
JinxisJinxed
JinxisJinxed
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaine 1/19/2018, 11:24 am

This idea really makes me think. I don't know if the word patriot really suits the server. It could if this was an all american based server but I know of people who live in other countries. Its also that people are used to the ranks of the server already and instead of changing a rank that is already well known maybe try to make an idea of a new rank and have an idea of what to name it. Many have got used to this rank system of Trusted-Trusted+-Artisan Etc so that would confuse people but it also will maybe be weird to change a rank that has been here for such a long time. Its not a bad idea but I think you could change your idea word to something different and see what the community thinks. I really like your ideas blaze but maybe do some revisions? The exstention to trusted makes a lot of sense because its like saying that people are really a trusted member. At least for me I would say to keep trusted+ as it has been a part of the server for a while and there are a lot of people who would be obset with it.

-Blaine

Last edited by sadie1850_ on 1/19/2018, 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding stuffs P2)
Blaine
Blaine
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze 1/19/2018, 1:53 pm

Okay so I get where your coming from Lina and it makes a lot of sense cause it probably would confuse some of the old players for a while. Also since so far all of the people here seem to be in favor of keeping tr+ it might be a better idea to go more along the lines of what Sadie brought up. 

I have made some revisions to my idea and I was thinking about the possibility of creating a new rank. this would be less confusing than changing old ranks names and still introduce some new material to the system.

Anyways I was thinking of something along the lines of Virtuous (the name can be changed this is just an test) being a rank for people that support the server hugely but behind the scenes and don't get noticed that much. this would be good for people who are not great builders or don't have enough voters to get Oasian.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 1/19/2018, 5:28 pm

Your prefixes are too vague and mystical. They dont ACTUALLY denote any sort of rank.

When you see a bunch of people in chat with trusted, your first thought is “Oh, I guess those guys all have the same rank. They’re trusted.” And then you see t+ you go “Ohey, that must be one more than trusted,” but when you see virtuous or patriot, you’d be more likely to think thats a clan or something.

When it comes to ranks, you want them to be functional. While those ideas are good for a personal prefix, they dont make as much sense when they’re full blown ranks. Makes the server sound like some role playing MMO
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze 1/19/2018, 7:19 pm

Okay so if I were to change the name of the rank to something like Pathfinder or Pioneer or Merchant would they fit better.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lina 1/19/2018, 8:29 pm

Pioneer and pathfinder suit Guests or Members, since they imply starting out and exploring. Merchant sounds like an economy rank.

Something like "Citizen" may work, since it implies the player has been here for a while aside from being Trusted. When I think of a citizen, I think of someone who has settled into the community. Oasian sounds more devoted, so citizen feels like it fits between the two ranks. Citizen is already in use on a lot of servers. New players coming from other servers would find it familiar.

There are probably more original choices that aren't used as often as Citizen is on other servers. Regardless, any T+ replacement needs to imply its position between Trusted and higher ranks.

I still don't think changing trusted+ is going to improve the server much, but there are some ideas.
(Just because I don't think it's a good change doesn't mean you can't work towards it; I'm not trying to shut you down.
T+ does kind of suck, I just don't know what would replace it or if it's worth replacing at this point )
Lina
Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze 1/20/2018, 2:41 pm

Okay so after some thought and communication I believe the term "Honored" would best suit this rank. It isn't too "americanized" like patriot, it isn't too mystical like virtuous, it doesn't imply staff, and it does imply your more than trusted.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaine 1/21/2018, 7:49 pm

I could live with that.

-Blaine
Blaine
Blaine
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze 2/5/2018, 1:03 pm

Bump

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Emna 2/5/2018, 5:24 pm

BABlaze wrote:Okay so after some thought and communication I believe the term "Honored" would best suit this rank. It isn't too "americanized" like patriot, it isn't too mystical like virtuous, it doesn't imply staff, and it does imply your more than trusted.
ok but...
honor
or
honour
Emna
Emna
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by lickyman 2/5/2018, 10:33 pm

honor is too american, honour is british and not american so yeah
lickyman
lickyman
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

http://www.latlmes.com/breaking/oasis-smp-best-server-ever-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 2/5/2018, 11:32 pm

Ok, how about a crazy thought.

What if... we dont change it

Trusted+ is kinda ugly, buuut it makes sense. Most of the suggestions we’ve gotten so far dont really speak for Oasis. If you want to replace this plain, boring rank, replace it with something that is somehow representative within the community.

Like when Veteran became Oasian. Much more fitting, and it freed up Veteran for more higher ups. You should be trying to find the new Oasian. Otherwise, whats really the point in changing it at all?
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderHorse 2/6/2018, 11:50 am

Shnoork wrote:Ok, how about a crazy thought.

What if... we dont change it

Trusted+ is kinda ugly, buuut it makes sense. Most of the suggestions we’ve gotten so far dont really speak for Oasis. If you want to replace this plain, boring rank, replace it with something that is somehow representative within the community.

Like when Veteran became Oasian. Much more fitting, and it freed up Veteran for more higher ups. You should be trying to find the new Oasian. Otherwise, whats really the point in changing it at all?
ThunderHorse
ThunderHorse
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down