About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP..

+5
Gweedo358
Krazo
Kevo235
DialupConnection
TheFluffyKitsune
9 posters

Go down

About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP.. Empty About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP..

Post by TheFluffyKitsune 12/5/2012, 8:10 pm

I've already discussed this with a few people, but here's the thought about getting Temp-banned if you exit from a PVP match. What if you lose connection and cannot get back on for a while? I've been getting "End of Stream" errors lately and cannot get back on for at least ten minutes each time, no matter how many times I relog, and i'm pretty sure i'm not the only person with this problem. This sort of thing can probably be easily be sorted out, depending on the staff member, but this is a thought when I first heard about our little temp-ban-for-pvp-quitter policy.
TheFluffyKitsune
TheFluffyKitsune
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP.. Empty Re: About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP..

Post by DialupConnection 12/5/2012, 8:14 pm

In all the cases I've seen of PVP logging, the staff members have asked why they DC'd, so I don't think there is much worry in an accidental temp-ban.
DialupConnection
DialupConnection
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP.. Empty Re: About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP..

Post by Kevo235 12/5/2012, 9:31 pm

I saw a guy PVP log and he tried to say that the other guy was cheating. He mentioned nothing about crashing, so I don't think that's a thing. If it is, though, you can just be banned from PVP world due to the lack of a stable internet/computer until it's fixed.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Krazo 12/6/2012, 2:48 am

Kevo235 wrote:If it is, though, you can just be banned from PVP world due to the lack of a stable internet/computer until it's fixed.

To me, that is rubbish. Now it's like you may not play because of your connection, what if his/her parents don't have enough money for a faster connection but he/she still wants to play on oasis. PvP and survival.

There is no solution to the disconnecting in PvP, only the mind of the staff that bans or doesn't ban the player.
Krazo
Krazo
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 12/6/2012, 1:18 pm

If that's going to be the new 'my brother was on my account, he's the one that griefed' thing, i'm not going to stand for it. Lack of a stable connection sucks, but other people should not have to pay because of it.

My opinion still stands.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Krazo 12/6/2012, 1:45 pm

Kevo235 wrote:If that's going to be the new 'my brother was on my account, he's the one that griefed' thing, i'm not going to stand for it.

Wasn't this about the pvp logging?

Oh and about the pvp logging.

Kяazo wrote:only the mind of the staff that bans or doesn't ban the player.
Krazo
Krazo
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gweedo358 12/6/2012, 1:51 pm

I have been listening to people chat about this in game and I have come to this conclusion after I saw Pax temp ban someone, People would rather be temp baned than loose there stuff, so I say if a player combat logs then remove the stuff from the inventory without a tempban or both if the problem keeps occuring. The main problem with combat logging is extreamly hard to prove and when it comes from someone fighting that person that is hearsay, and not that I dont believe them, It could be used as a tool to remove people they dont like.
Gweedo358
Gweedo358
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 12/6/2012, 2:19 pm

It seems extremely unlikely to be randomly logged out while fighting a person, since most fights take 1 minute max from my experience with pvp, and it seems to be happening a lot. So either someone isn't telling the truth, or we've been hit by a stroke of unluckiness. Also, it's not like it's a permaban or anything.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyCapollo 12/6/2012, 3:15 pm

I think there is an easy solution to this problem. Like Gweedo said most players would rather accept the one day ban rather than lose all of their gear. So instead of just a tempban make it an inventory wipe or teleport them to jail of some kind in PVP and let them fight it out with the person they had been fighting. Some of you are probably thinking that PVPlogging isn't a big deal, but if you think about it in terms of griefing you'll understand. Most grief noobs log off after they grief to try and escape the consequences of their actions, just like PVPloggers, therefore there should be a harsher punishment for breaking one of the few rules in PVP.
JoeyCapollo
JoeyCapollo
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

Back to top Go down

About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP.. Empty Again, back to the first question..

Post by TheFluffyKitsune 12/6/2012, 3:25 pm

JoeyCapollo wrote:I think there is an easy solution to this problem. Like Gweedo said most players would rather accept the one day ban rather than lose all of their gear. So instead of just a tempban make it an inventory wipe or teleport them to jail of some kind in PVP and let them fight it out with the person they had been fighting. Some of you are probably thinking that PVPlogging isn't a big deal, but if you think about it in terms of griefing you'll understand. Most grief noobs log off after they grief to try and escape the consequences of their actions, just like PVPloggers, therefore there should be a harsher punishment for breaking one of the few rules in PVP.
But that brings us back to the original question: what if it isn't our fault that we log off? What if there was a power outage and we couldn't contact Oasis in any form? Should players that lose connection and cannot get back on immedeatly deserve that much of a punishment?
or teleport them to jail of some kind in PVP and let them fight it out with the person they had been fighting
If this idea is ever approved, and the situation i'm talking about happens, then the person may have to wait a VERY long time.
TheFluffyKitsune
TheFluffyKitsune
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyCapollo 12/6/2012, 3:45 pm

XboxFantic wrote:
But that brings us back to the original question: what if it isn't our
fault that we log off? What if there was a power outage and we couldn't
contact Oasis in any form? Should players that lose connection and
cannot get back on immedeatly deserve that much of a punishment?

The chance of this happening is probably close to as likely as getting struck by lightning. For one when you are in pvp, and you start lagging, you either a. relog, or b. go to spawn and wait it out. In no way does it make sense to wait until you are fighting someone to log out. Secondly its rather obvious when someone freezes to logout, where as a disconnection could happen while you are still moving or even swinging. I just believe that the idea of getting disconnected by external means during a fight are very very unlikely and staff shouldn't waste time trying to figure out a system for something they can't control.
JoeyCapollo
JoeyCapollo
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heisenberg 12/6/2012, 3:57 pm

I was always under the impression the bans were PvP world only. Being banned from Oasis altogether is was too harsh if its a one time quit.
Heisenberg
Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP.. Empty RE

Post by Revilo410 12/6/2012, 4:21 pm

Right Guys, After I saw this post naturally I went away and I thought about it for a bit, and I ended up thinking, well there isn't really a solution.

Until today that is when I remembered my experience with server consoles. On a console when a players disconnects there are a variety of messages. I know checking the console every-time a person PVP logs can be laborious but it's the only solution I can think of.

Player <name> Disconnect.quitting = They logged out
Player <name> Disconnect.generic_reason = They closed their MC window

These would be the 2 to watch out for, anything else is crashing such as:

Player <name> Disconnect.EndOfStream

The punishment if they are found guilty I am not 100% sure about, but I think it should come along the lines of that they are Banned from PVP world for a period of time, and maybe have 2 or 3 chances before they are perma-banned from PVP world.

Well thats just my input on the topic ;)

Hope it's been vaguely useful haha.

Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtraSauce 12/6/2012, 4:40 pm

revilo410 wrote:Right Guys, After I saw this post naturally I went away and I thought about it for a bit, and I ended up thinking, well there isn't really a solution.

Until today that is when I remembered my experience with server consoles. On a console when a players disconnects there are a variety of messages. I know checking the console every-time a person PVP logs can be laborious but it's the only solution I can think of.

Player <name> Disconnect.quitting = They logged out
Player <name> Disconnect.generic_reason = They closed their MC window

Player <name> Disconnect.EndOfStream

The punishment if they are found guilty I am not 100% sure about, but I think it should come along the lines of that they are Banned from PVP world for a period of time, and maybe have 2 or 3 chances before they are perma-banned from PVP world.

Well thats just my input on the topic ;)

Hope it's been vaguely useful haha.

I've been thinking about that since the beggining of this post, didn't know how it worked tho.
ExtraSauce
ExtraSauce
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFluffyKitsune 12/6/2012, 5:04 pm

revilo410 wrote:
Player Disconnect.quitting = They logged out
Player Disconnect.generic_reason = They closed their MC window

Player Disconnect.EndOfStream
Yea, that helps. Not real sure if it'll help out all too much, though, since I believe that only Admins and Owners can view the console. Please correct me if i'm wrong about that though..
TheFluffyKitsune
TheFluffyKitsune
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

About the Temp-Ban process for quitting from PVP.. Empty RE

Post by Revilo410 12/6/2012, 5:05 pm

Yes that is a downside

Only admins can view the console.
Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down