flomzilla
ThunderHorse
HealthMagazine
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

new laptop - Page 2 Empty Re: new laptop

Post by raidenraccoon 6/25/2014, 4:57 pm

Helthmagazine wrote:thing is i only have $600-$700 to spend.. ok so the AlienWare is out ... so im guessing the Acer? unless someone finds a better laptop for same price or cheaper.. Thanks guys for your opinions i am taking them seriously though so dont *please dont* give false info .. Thanks again :D

Then you may find this one feasible: ASUS R510DP-FH11

It's $100 more than the Acer you were initial considering (a penny under $700). But it's also got a 2.5GHz CPU vs the 1.6GHz of the Acer.

In fact, the CPU in this Asus seeme generally better in 95% of the specs: Comparison

Comparison 2

Looking back at your first post, I can guarantee that the Acer will not play GTA or COD. At least not well at all. Expect a ton of lag, very low frame rates and most likely frequent crashes of the games.

The Asus is more suitable. I can play Skyrim on my laptop that has 2.1GHz & no dedicated graphics on low settings. The Asus has dedicated graphics (as does the Acer, but the low GHz will do it no justice).

Last edited by raidenraccoon on 6/25/2014, 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

http://raidenraccoon.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 5:04 pm

raidenraccoon wrote:
Helthmagazine wrote:thing is i only have $600-$700 to spend.. ok so the AlienWare is out ... so im guessing the Acer? unless someone finds a better laptop for same price or cheaper.. Thanks guys for your opinions i am taking them seriously though so dont *please dont* give false info .. Thanks again :D

It's $100 more than the Acer you were initial considering (a penny under $700). But it's also got a 2.5GHz CPU vs the 1.6GHz of the Acer.

In fact, the CPU in this Asus seeme generally better in 95% of the specs: Comparison

Comparison 2

Looking back at your first post, I can guarantee that the Acer will not play GTA or COD. At least not well at all. Expect a ton of lag, very low frame rates and most likely frequent crashes of the games.

The Asus is more suitable. I can play Skyrim on my laptop that has 2.1GHz & no dedicated graphics on low settings. The Asus has dedicated graphics (as does the Acer, but the low GHz will do it no justice).

Hey dude this actually seems like a pretty good laptop.. let me check it up.
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/25/2014, 5:07 pm

Honestly, if the portability of a laptop is not important, I can build you a beast of a gaming PC for $650 to $700, and that includes my labor fee and shipping costs. Plus, you get to choose your case, fan colors (if you want LED lights) and operating system. Also, no junkware making the computer slower as with prebuilt computers (and laptops)
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 5:11 pm

raidenraccoon wrote:Honestly, if the portability of a laptop is not important, I can build you a beast of a gaming PC for $650 to $700, and that includes my labor fee and shipping costs. Plus, you get to choose your case, fan colors (if you want LED lights) and operating system. Also, no junkware making the computer slower as with prebuilt computers (and laptops)
 i need a laptop though and if you can custom make me a laptop then id pay you for labor. and for the parts up to $700 

but about the laptop you wrote (the asus) heres the Graphic Difference

Last edited by Helthmagazine on 6/25/2014, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 6/25/2014, 5:13 pm

Accusing_panda4 wrote:Well while nvidia is good graphics card company but if you've got my computer they're not very helpful they just keep on giving me the same update I already have.

That would be the updating software that is installed with the drivers failing on you. I never use auto updates.

Protip: If it aint broke dont fix it.
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 5:23 pm

raidenraccoon wrote:

Comparison 2

dude wait this laptop cant even play bf4 on medium without getting 25 fps or less.. i read on a review that the acer can play MW3 on max on all settings...
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/25/2014, 5:28 pm

Helthmagazine wrote:
raidenraccoon wrote:Honestly, if the portability of a laptop is not important, I can build you a beast of a gaming PC for $650 to $700, and that includes my labor fee and shipping costs. Plus, you get to choose your case, fan colors (if you want LED lights) and operating system. Also, no junkware making the computer slower as with prebuilt computers (and laptops)
 i need a laptop though and if you can custom make me a laptop then id pay you for labor. and for the parts up to $700 

but about the laptop you wrote (the asus) heres the Graphic Difference

Not possible to make custom ones outside of working for a laptop manufacturer ^^; for now I can only build desktops

Any way, the graphics difference won't be noticeable based on that chart.

It will, however, being the Acer with the GeForce, due to it's under performing CPU, the Geforce will actually perform worse than the Radeon.

The Geforce only out performs the Radeon by very little anyway. When you factor in the differences in the CPUs of both laptops, the Acer will not be worth your money opposed to the Asus.

The safer bet is to get the Asus, with the faster CPU, if you're aiming to game.
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/25/2014, 5:31 pm

Helthmagazine wrote:
raidenraccoon wrote:

Comparison 2

dude wait this laptop cant even play bf4 on medium without getting 25 fps or less.. i read on a review that the acer can play MW3 on max on all settings...

Then again, Battlefield 3 & 4 are also very picky about performance. They're best played on Desktops with higher end graphics. COD is less resource demanding graphics wise.

If you feel better with the Acer, I believe the CPU can be upgraded later on. ^^
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 5:35 pm

how do i upgrade CPU?????
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by flomzilla 6/25/2014, 5:37 pm

Paxination wrote:
Accusing_panda4 wrote:Well while nvidia is good graphics card company but if you've got my computer they're not very helpful they just keep on giving me the same update I already have.

That would be the updating software that is installed with the drivers failing on you.  I never use auto updates.

Protip: If it aint broke dont fix it.

Except for my minuscule performance improvements.
flomzilla
flomzilla
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 6:21 pm

dude how can i upgrade my CPU???
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/25/2014, 6:24 pm

Helthmagazine wrote:how do i upgrade CPU?????

tbh, unless you're trained like myself, I don't recommend it.

But (this is a VERY short example of a long and difficult process. Laptops are WAY harder to get into opposed to a desktop):

• Find a CPU that fits your laptop's socket (example, mine has a PGA 988 socket. It had a 1.5GHz Intel Celeron B800. I found a 2.1GHz Core i3 that was PGA 988)
  • MAKE SURE TO USE ANTI STATIC PROTECTION/ESD PROTECTION
  • Follow the repair manual (usually found on the manufacturer's website) and open up your laptop down to where you have access to the CPU, it's heatsink, etc
  • Remove the heatsink
  • Clean the heatsink of the thermal paste
  • Remove the old CPU
  • Place the new CPU in the socket (be sure not to touch the shiny center (ie: the die). It'd be bad for fingerprints, oil or other debris like dust, lint, etc, to get on it) 
  • Apply NEW thermal paste to the die and spread it evenly on the die (there's thermal paste that can be bought with a brush that makes even application 90% easier)
  • Replace the heatsink
  • Put your laptop back together
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 6:47 pm

uhm will any repair laptop store do it for me? i dont want to open it incase ill break oit :X
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 8:23 pm

Ok guys screw this im going to go all out and spend $1,000 to get the MSI Leopard
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/25/2014, 8:38 pm

Helthmagazine wrote:Ok guys screw this im going to go all out and spend $1,000 to get the MSI Leopard

To answer your previous question: Most but not all

Regardless, great choice!
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 8:53 pm

lol i just gave up being a cheap (even though ii have no money i only have $180 now) im saving up so might as well get my moneys worth and spend another $300-$400 for as beast laptop then a laptop with slower cpu and worse Gpu & Intel... XD sorry for making all of you waste your time.   and thanks racoon for helping me alot> :D
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh 6/25/2014, 11:23 pm

I agree with raidenraccoon this is pretty good choice of laptop, its specs are a little faster than my old system (0.1 GHz more and 500 GB more memory) that ran minecraft at fast at a render distance of 8-9 smoothly. It may run differently than mine since it was a windows XP.

Also try ' shopping around ' to see if you could find one with better specs and/or less priced.
Gr00veDriftTreh
Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/25/2014, 11:55 pm

Groove i "shopped around" for over a month XD and i decided im buying the MSI Leopard.. :D
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/26/2014, 1:21 am

actually you know what? the ASUS G75VX is better ill go with that XD ( cant make up my mind )  

Please help, racoon? XD im sure the G75VX is better (and bigger and sicker design) it has better everything
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/26/2014, 2:41 am

Helthmagazine wrote:actually you know what? the ASUS G75VX is better ill go with that XD ( cant make up my mind )  

Please help, racoon? XD im sure the G75VX is better (and bigger and sicker design) it has better everything

You mean this one: Amazon listing
Well...the graphics is better. It'll handle a lot. Just don't think it's worth $1800 imo.

However, if you're willing to dish out that much, go for the newer and more available model: The G750JX. It's a few hundred less anyway, plus it's graphics are better than the VX, as well as it's CPU (same CPU as that Leopard you linked)

I honestly think the MSI Leopard with the i7 4700HQ will be the best bang for your buck.

However, the Asus ROG laptops mentioned are definitely better ventilated and the G750JX's graphics does out perform that of Leopard's a bit.

So, in the long run, the Asus I linked (or generally any like it, like the G75VX) will last longer due to the better ventilation. CPUs get quite hot during gaming. Heat = more damage to the components. Damage to the components = nasty problems and eventual 'death' of the system.

How ever, you can make the Leopard last long to by getting a usb laptop cooler like this one: Just $20

I got mine at Best Buy for the same price (though that one on newegg seems better built and made by a reputable brand)

SO, for several $100 less, get the Leopard and buy a $20 laptop cooling pad to set the laptop on, especially while gaming.

Really, the only reason to get the G750JX over the Leopard is because Newegg is very trustworthy and you are guaranteed to receive your item plus their customer service is great. Defective item = guarantee for a replacement at very little to no cost (most of the time is no cost), where as you take a big gamble buying anything off of eBay.

(also, this is not a waste of my time. I completely enjoy researching and helping someone get the best possible deal for what they're looking for in a PC/laptop)
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/26/2014, 11:50 am

no i can find the G75VX for only $990 (its used) they have alot in stock so prolly when i save up they will still have it
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon 6/26/2014, 2:43 pm

Helthmagazine wrote:no i can find the G75VX for only $990 (its used) they have alot in stock so prolly when i save up they will still have it
 And if not, the Leopard will still be a great choice. ^_^ I wish you the best in your venture to save up! Which ever you end up buying will be great for you.
raidenraccoon
raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/26/2014, 3:42 pm

lol thanks dude XD ill be getting around another $300 on the 11th through 13th and then im selling my Chromebook on ebay for $90 bidding and $140 buy it now .... soo ill prolly get it by the end of the summer
(ill have $700 and then my bro will lend me the rest) lol (saying my whole life story XD)
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/26/2014, 4:00 pm

ok raiden sorry again i have a question is it worth the extra $200 to get the
G75VX-QH72-CB
 (when its out of the sale its in now) or the stay under $1,000 and get the G75VX-RH71-CA or the G750JW-DB71

Last edited by Helthmagazine on 6/26/2014, 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthMagazine 6/26/2014, 4:00 pm

they all have different SSD and HDD and more differences 

Thanks again :X
HealthMagazine
HealthMagazine