PSA: Mob Chunk Limits!

Go down

PSA: Mob Chunk Limits! Empty PSA: Mob Chunk Limits!

Post by Revilo410 4/11/2018, 6:23 pm

Hi everyone,

When Mojang altered the way in which collisions work in Minecraft a while back, they unfortunately made it the most memory intensive part of the game! Every time mobs collide it puts a heavy load on the server and can create various forms of lag and drop the TPS. As such, a few maps ago we imposed mob limits per chunk. This means that if you put more mobs than this limit in a single chunk they WILL despawn. Up until now I've never seen any issues with this system, it is just a simple and effective way to reduce lag.

However... I have now learnt that it can be a problem with people keeping various types of villager etc. So if you want to have all the different types of a villager, so you can maximise on your trades, and they all walk into a single chunk at once, some will despawn if the limit is exceeded. And this could well be all villagers of a single type which is not ideal.

Unfortunately, because it causes so much lag to keep mobs squished together, we cannot just remove this limit. So I am here to tell you about it and how it works so you can keep farming mobs safely without any despawning!

The limit per chunk is 100 mobs! BUT THIS IS NOT A TARGET

What is a chunk? A chunk is a 16x16 block area which goes all the way from the sky to the bedrock. You can see the chunk boundaries by doing the keyboard command f3+G.

If you put 100 mobs, animals and baddies like zombies etc, in one of these then they can and will very likely start to disappear. So it would be beneficial to structure your "grazing areas" in such a way that you dont have more than 100 in this 16x16 block.

The plugins will also block spawning new mobs in an area which is already at the limit, so dont waste your items trying to breed animals etc!

This system will not affect 90% of players, but if you are in the 10% that have some big farms, you need to be careful, and if you are in the probably 1% that have very seriously and carefully organised farms with different breeds, coloured sheep, etc. then you need to plan even more carefully! If you are unsure of any of this information feel free to message me or speak to an Administrator in game. We are happy to help!

The strict limit of 50 has now been upgraded to 100 to give you slightly more flexibility. This is NOT a target in any way shape or form. If your farm causes lag to the server because of excessive numbers of mobs then you are in violation of the "lag generating structures" clause of the rules which I quote below. Please aim to have around 50 rather than 100 if you can!

THE RULES wrote:Builds which generate excessive amounts of lag as determined by staff are strictly prohibited. Examples include large scale automatic farms, redstone clocks and large numbers of mobs or animals crammed into a small location. Building upon the top of the nether is strictly prohibited! In the event a build is deemed to generate excessive amounts of lag it must either be dismantled or modified in a way to bring lag generation down to an acceptable level as determined by staff. Staff have explicit permission to kill mobs if there is a very large amount in a small location to reduce lag. We recommend you spread out any mobs you own in large pens. Mobs are currently limited to 100 per chunk by our plugins, but this is not a target!

I hope this post has been helpful to at least some of you!

See you in game!
- Oasis Staff

Last edited by Revilo410 on 3/21/2019, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

PSA: Mob Chunk Limits! Empty Re: PSA: Mob Chunk Limits!

Post by Revilo410 4/25/2018, 12:45 pm

UPDATE: The limit has been upgraded to 100 to give players as much flexibility as possible. This is NOT a target, please refer to the section of the rules quoted in the post above for guidelines!
Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down