+4
Shnoork
Paxination
Jellyfish_Fields
NETSHAEK
8 posters

Go down

Should we have a longer AFK time?

Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS I_vote_lcap22%Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 4 ]
Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS I_vote_lcap78%Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS I_vote_rcap 78% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS Empty Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS

Post by NETSHAEK 6/16/2016, 11:28 pm

I love oasis SMP. It is the best survival server I think that I've ever played, but I have one MAJOR problem with it, you can only AFK for one hour before you get kicked. It is one thing to kick someone for causing lag on the server, but kicking someone for just being AFK for a while is EXTREMELY annoying. The worst part to me is if you get kicked for idling too many times your banned regardless of if your AFK was being a nuisance to the server or not. For instance: I am trying to get emerald to fuel a beacon so I decided to make a large automated sugar cane farm to trade paper with the librarians for emeralds. This works well, but when it only produces so much it would be nice to just have a solid 6-8 hour AFK session and get all the sugar cane I will ever need (Obviously and automated farm will not cause lag if you AFK for a long time and let it collect). When I can only AFK for an hour it gets really hard to get a whole lot of sugar cane easily to make my four layer beacon pyramid. I 100% agree people who AFK at grinders too long (or other places) and cause server lag should be kicked and warned accordingly, but I believe that if someone wants to AFK at an automated farm that does not effect the server in any way then that player should be able to do so as long as he or she wants. In order to get automated farms to harvest you need those chunks loaded and putting those farms near your house helps with that, but I commonly have the issue of I am out of the area that allows the farm to produce. This is why we should have at least a longer time to AFK. I would be satisfied if the limit was pushed to three hours, two hours would be nicer but not optimal. If staff keep an eye out for people who cause lag with their AFK they can kick them and inform them of the consequences if their behavior continues. This whole one hour AFK thing ticks me off beyond measure. This is just one circumstance where a longer AFK time is nice, and there is so many more. I hate this rule.
NETSHAEK
NETSHAEK
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Back to top Go down

Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS Empty Re: Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS

Post by Jellyfish_Fields 6/16/2016, 11:39 pm

I think the one hour for AFK before being kicked is more than reasonable.

If you need to AFK for longer than an hour and you aren't causing any lag, just pop in every so often to get rid of your AFK status and move around a little. There's no need to increase the amount of AFK time.
Jellyfish_Fields
Jellyfish_Fields
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS Empty Re: Only having one hour to AFK is RIDICULOUS

Post by NETSHAEK 6/16/2016, 11:41 pm

Jellyfish_Fields wrote:I think the one hour for AFK before being kicked is more than reasonable.

If you need to AFK for longer than an hour and you aren't causing any lag, just pop in every so often to get rid of your AFK status and move around a little. There's no need to increase the amount of AFK time.
There are many times when I AFK that I work on something, like earlier today I went AFK and mowed the yard, my yard is large and it takes more than an hour to mow. When I came back in I had been kicked for being AFK too long. I am not about to stop mowing the yard in the middle just to clear an AFK status.
NETSHAEK
NETSHAEK
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 6/16/2016, 11:44 pm

1st. You dont get bant on my server for AFK many times.  Ever.

2nd.  Your gone for an hour.  Why is it so important that you stay on the server while your not infront of your pc?

Sounds like to me your AFK farming and just pissed cuz you cant get as much loot.  Oh btw, AFK farming is bant on our server.

You know what erks me?  When peeps get on my server and setup auto afk farms to just sit there and not be social.  Sit there and not play on my server.  We are one of the best community servers out there for a reason.  Not for afking on the server all day long.

Afking while mowing the grass?  lol.......its not changing anytime soon.
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 6/17/2016, 7:15 am

If you ask me, afk shouldnt be a tool. Its a nice thing to have if you need to step away from the computer for a minute, thus the term "afk". If you need so much sugar cane, you can build a bigger farm or just buy some. Its probably going to be rather cheap given that its a sustainable resource. There should be no circumstance in which you step away from the computer to deal with something real quick and it takes 3 hours. Come on man, dont go aboosing those nice shiny plugins.
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 6/17/2016, 7:53 am

Three things.

1 - the AFK timer used to be 10 minutes. People complained it was too short, so we upped it to 60 minutes. Nobody has complained since we implemented this back in 2013.

2 - AFK = Away From Keyboard. If you aren't at your computer for more than an hour, than you are considered to be TRULY AFK. Therefore there is no reason for MY server to have to continue to waste precious CPU cycles and other resources with YOUR auto farms if you choose to be idle for such a long period of time. (By the way, AFK farms are NOT allowed!!)

3 - We are not changing the AFK idle timeout threshold. Period. It is staying at 60 minutes. If you do not like how we run things than you can either suck it up and play or you can find another server who may or may not be more strict than us regarding AFK farms.
madscientist032
madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

https://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by Lina 6/17/2016, 9:56 am

Slightly off-topic-
but I have like a double chest of sugar canes I just save for stocking my shop if you would like to have that for free. I was actually looking to expand my sugar farm this weekend. I don't really need sugar cane, and my farm is manual-harvest so I can raise herbalism. I can't get on til later after work though.
I could also have a chest locketted to you and I near a warp where I could routinely refill it for you when i finish farming my canes. Then you could take them when you log on. Let me know if want.

More on topic- I'd comment on the afking/afkfarming, but everything I would have said has already been said pretty much. That afk farming rule has been in place for a year or so now I believe. Much thought and debate from staff team went to putting that in place.

Sorry for typos I may have missed, on mobile at the moment
Lina
Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator 6/17/2016, 10:03 am

izumi4kona wrote:Slightly off-topic-
but I have like a double chest of sugar canes I just save for stocking my shop if you would like to have that for free. I was actually looking to expand my sugar farm this weekend. I don't really need sugar cane, and my farm is manual-harvest so I can raise herbalism. I can't get on til later after work though.
I could also have a chest locketted to you and I near a warp where I could routinely refill it for you when i finish farming my canes. Then you could take them when you log on. Let me know if want.

More on topic- I'd comment on the afking/afkfarming, but everything I would have said has already been said pretty much. That afk farming rule has been in place for a year or so now I believe. Much thought and debate from staff team went to putting that in place.

Sorry for typos I may have missed, on mobile at the moment
I also have several double chests of sugarcane as well as a decently sized farm. Shall we create sugarcane mart?
dtfgator
dtfgator
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Espartemos 6/17/2016, 10:05 am

izumi4kona wrote:I'd comment on the afking/afkfarming, but everything I would have said has already been said pretty much. 

Because of this reason, I am going to lock up this thread.
Espartemos
Espartemos
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 6/17/2016, 7:43 pm

I know this thread is locked but just wanted to touch base with something to make sure things are clear.

All types of farms are allowed on the server, the act of AFKING at a farm just to get product is what is bant.
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down