+3
FairyNinjaStar
Lazahhh
Cheerioes
7 posters

Go down

Opinions In Chat Empty Opinions In Chat

Post by Cheerioes 7/7/2014, 12:05 am

Don't know if there's a post already related to this, but this has been mulling on my mind for a bit, and decided to share it.

A couple of days ago, and I will not point fingers, call out names, or put the blame on anyone, but there were some hard-hitting name calling and opinion blazing in Oasis chat. What I mean by this is that someone was disclosing personal opinions that they felt strongly about into chat, and then getting called out and name-called for them. This upset said person's feelings and lead to a warning after threatening to break rules (and perhaps she/he did, I have no knowledge of this).

I am upset that by first of all, most of these players involved were full-grown adults and active players in the community. To see that they went so far as to attack another's opinion is irreparable. We respect other players as community members and players, not someone who's opinion is open to be fired upon. I wasn't watching chat as I was on other tabs, but to come back onto MC and see what was being said was at the least, frightening.
We will all, or already have, debates in real life in school or class. The first thing the teacher says is 'do not take personal offense to anything said by the opposing team', and this goes for openly attacking the other on a personal level. We are all a mature server, and we personally know what makes us mad and what to avoid talking about in chat. It is better to leave anything you are emotionally attached to OUT of Oasis chat. This will, in no doubt, lead to unruly, disrespectable, and regrettable behavior. Things that get you fired up leads to clouded judgment, and later on, when you find yourself banned from the server, you'll be wondering why you said such things.
 If you are willing to discuss opinions in chat, conduct yourself in a polite and fashionable manner. Respect the other's ideas, knowing that even if you think they are right, at least they have the same level of interest in the subject. And distance yourself from your discussion, so that you may avoid any anger issues if something offends you. Because, eventually, you will all find that someone who says something that really hits home and really makes you mad. But it is ridiculous to release that anger onto that person, trying to make them feel the same sort of emotions you have. At that point, you stop playing, get off the server, and take a break. With calm heads, you won't be itching for a fight and end up banned.
Cheerioes
Cheerioes
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Opinions In Chat Empty Re: Opinions In Chat

Post by Lazahhh 7/7/2014, 7:53 am

best post ever.
Lazahhh
Lazahhh
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

http://Minecraft.net

Back to top Go down

Post by FairyNinjaStar 7/7/2014, 10:07 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Cheerioes. I try to stay away from controversial topics just to avoid conflict in general, but there have been times where I was merely stating my opinion and the other person started personally attacking me. I like to discuss things, in a calm and rational matter, and when I state a FACT I certainly don't expect the other person to start attacking me because they apparently misunderstood my meaning. I've learned this applies to "joking" as well...sometimes people don't realize you are kidding or don't think the joke is funny or sometimes even find it offensive (depending on the subject matter). I think people just need to be respectful of other players and their beliefs/opinions, and realize that we have people on Oasis from all over the world, and to keep that in mind when having discussions in chat. Of course, there will always be times when people get into altercations, we're all human. But let's try to reduce the amount of potential conflict by maybe being a little more careful, mature and respectful about the things we say.
FairyNinjaStar
FairyNinjaStar
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

http://sarahchristina.hubpages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/7/2014, 1:56 pm

God forbid if someone has an opinion. 

Honestly, I love talking about opinions. I break the 'don't-talk-about-this-stuff' rule all the time, because I honestly want to hear people's opinions. Sometimes I facepalm, and other times I sit back and go 'damn. didn't think of it like that'. I wish we could have more discussions like that, but apparently people aren't mature enough.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 7/7/2014, 5:36 pm

Maturity is the issue why we prefer certain subjects to not be talked about on the server.

BUT NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE CRITICIZED FOR THEIR OPINION, ON MY SERVER!  EVER!

*EDITED AFTER READING LOGS!*

Last edited by Paxination on 7/7/2014, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderHorse 7/7/2014, 6:17 pm

FairyNinjaStar wrote:I couldn't agree with you more, Cheerioes. I try to stay away from controversial topics just to avoid conflict in general, but there have been times where I was merely stating my opinion and the other person started personally attacking me. I like to discuss things, in a calm and rational matter, and when I state a FACT I certainly don't expect the other person to start attacking me because they apparently misunderstood my meaning. I've learned this applies to "joking" as well...sometimes people don't realize you are kidding or don't think the joke is funny or sometimes even find it offensive (depending on the subject matter). I think people just need to be respectful of other players and their beliefs/opinions, and realize that we have people on Oasis from all over the world, and to keep that in mind when having discussions in chat. Of course, there will always be times when people get into altercations, we're all human. But let's try to reduce the amount of potential conflict by maybe being a little more careful, mature and respectful about the things we say.
I agree as well. There is no point in attackign another player because they give their honest opinion. Its bad enough to argue with them but threatining them personally, they should be ashamed of themselves. It's those kinds of people that make oasis not as safe as it should be and this is why we need to stop this
ThunderHorse
ThunderHorse
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 7/7/2014, 7:33 pm

I want to appologize for my rage, I have read the logs and discussing it with the admins.
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 7/8/2014, 10:16 pm

I think Im with Mick here. Opinions can be grand fun and all but, as it was already said, a certain level of maturity is really needed on every side of the conversation. Lets take this experience and learn from it, as we can from any situation, and just hope to God all those involved drop by the forums for once.
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down