All of Oasis's plugins

3 posters

Go down

All of Oasis's plugins Empty All of Oasis's plugins

Post by Accusing_panda4 12/5/2013, 12:14 am

The reason I'm making this post is because I'm thinking of making my own server and I would like people(most likely staff)to post useful plugins such as CoreProtect,Lockette,Portable horses,and WorldEdit etc. and if you can asisst me on doing so that would help.Please read everybody else's suggestion before you post your's so you dont acceidently post the same suggestion.Also are the warps a plugin or is that coding?There are lots of questions I have well not really but here's another one,since you are the owner of the server are you responsible for updating the server or does it do that automatically?If not please tell me how to do so.Smile

Accusing_panda4
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

All of Oasis's plugins Empty Re: All of Oasis's plugins

Post by Leagle 12/5/2013, 5:25 am

To awnser your last question, no, the plugins do not update automatically.
You will have to manage your plugins and search for updates yourself.

Now on to your main question...
It seems you haven't really put many thoughts to your question before actually asking it.
It's quite rude to ask a server what plugins they are using, only to benefit from it on your own.

We put in alot of time in choosing our plugins and configuring them.
We didn't just do this for ourselves, but also for the community to benefit.

Now for someone to just come by and copy your work and benefit from it, is not something you anyone would like to see.. correct?
It's great you want to start your own server, and i wish you good luck if you actually continue with it.
But please. Do not copy the plugins of a server, in hope for some quick succes.

Locking this...
Leagle
Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination 12/5/2013, 4:06 pm

I know this is already locked, but im just gonna give him some useful information about servers and plugins.

First off, Leagle is partially incorrect.  Plugins have the ability to auto update.  But I have YET to see one work.  And to be honest.  Its not a very good route to go.  The reason for this is some plugins require OTHER plugins to be installed to work.  For example, Disguise Craft requires protocallib.  protocallib is basically a library of useful commands for plugins to use (not players/staff, just the plugin itself).  If Disguise Craft auto updates and it requires a newer version of protocallib than you have, its going to break on you.  OR lets say protocallib auto updated, and Disguise Craft didnt.  Now disguise craft wont work cuz you have the wrong version of protocallib now.

Now a lot of really good plugins will let you know when a new version is out in chat when you join or when you start the server in the console window.  Bukkit has this feature as well, to let you know when it updates.

A bit of a warning with that feature tho.  If your internet is laggy, it can slow down the server way down.  Cuz its trying to connect to a site on the net.

Also, keep in mind, just because a plugin updates, doesnt mean you should.  Keep backups of older versions as you update, this way if there is a serious bug that was missed, you can just go back to the previous version.

AND ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR SERVER!  I cant stress this enough.  Wait, yes i can....
Spoiler:

This means just make a copy of the folder that has all the server stuff in it.  Maps, plugins, and all, just copy the entire folder! 

Oh and also, just because a plugin looks fun and neat, doesn't mean its going to work or be functional.  You have to consider the mix of plugins you already have, and make sure that they don't conflict with each other.  Think of the purpose/type of mc server you want, and build your plugins around that idea!

Also, setting up a server the first time can take a couple weeks to a month to FULLY get it setup.  If you know what you're doing you can open up early if you get to 75% done, and the last 25% can be done while business is flowing.  But you will want to have your plugins fully setup before you open the doors.  And make sure they work like they should!

Oh and im prolly gonna get a kick in dat ass by my staff over this but oh well.....USE SPIGOT!  Spigot is a server mod like bukkit.  (HA, DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT?  BUKKIT IS A MOD!  HAHA!)  Spigot actually builds off of bukkit.  What this means is the Spigot team takes bukkit server code and improves it.  Spigot is far more stable than bukkit.

Last edited by madscientist032 on 12/6/2013, 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : :3)
Paxination
Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down