mickdude2
_Zeira_
Z
MineCartbrother
9 posters

Go down

Oasis as a Better Society Empty Oasis as a Better Society

Post by MineCartbrother 7/27/2013, 12:07 am

I know that I rant/rave alot, but hear me out! This is an important matter. As I look at the number of banned/convicted players, I always think, why do noobs do the things that they do. Now I know its the staff's job to worry about this, but due to investigations and research that I have gathered, I can see that griefing is the most often offence done by a member or guest. Insulting or offending staff probably takes 2nd place, and selling spawned items is probably not done as often, but still, it happens. Im just taking a wild guess here, but A vast majority of guests probably don't even read the rules.

And that "vast majority" of guests tend to break the rules more often than guests who actually take time to read the book. Sometimes I worry about that Book o' Rules. Sometimes its never enough to let guests read the rules, because, let's be honest. There are players that read the book, but still break the rules, and their reasons may be...well...unknown. Were they upset? What was the reason? Did they read the rulebook? Unsure or not, they committed the crime, and when you do the crime, you gotta do the time (police officer quote).

Numerous amounts of players get banned daily on Oasis. Sometimes they even make excuses, when you know that they are guilty. What Im getting at here, is that they probably don't know the server very well. May I suggest, volunteers to show the newbs the very cool, and enjoyable Oasis. And it could be anyone, a guide, a member, or a trusted. Show them around the map, give them some tips on surviving, and show them what could happen if they decide to break the rules. Show them the dungeon warp to scare them straight (only a little so they dont break the rules!). Im not saying that there will be no more rule breakers. Im saying that it will lower the percentage of rule breakers down a good bit. 

However, if they are breaking the rules in general, continue with the usual punishment routine. That's pretty much all im suggesting the "active" members of the Oasis community should do. Show new members around Oasis, y'know, a tour maybe? And I get that some people have other important things to attend to like building a warp, or trying to survive, but all I ask is that one person, just one person to volunteer as a tourguide.

I know that the first time I joined Oasis I was like "This place is awfully crazy lookin'. What am I supposed to do first?", and of course the rulebook helps, but it helps even more when you know your way around Oasis. Lamp_man_38 (maybe you know him? He has a really weird skin) he was my tourguide. He told me things about Oasis, and I learned very quickly about this amazing server. And trust me, its no fun being a dirty griefer, stealer, wrong doer, etc. I know, because I was banned once a long time ago.

Yes. Believe it or not, I WAS a griefer. I got banned for flooding some dude's house because I thought it was funny. I dont know, I was feeling pretty prank-ish on that day, but that was before I knew it was wrong. Let me just say im a different guy than I was back then, because the banishment scared me straight.

Hope you guys dont think im complaining, because it seems that I have posted my 3rd or 4th rant. I wasnt keepin' track. 

So anyways, that's my rave.

TL;DR There should be a volunteer Oasis tourguide to let guests know more about the server, and keep them from having the urge to break the rules.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Oasis as a Better Society Empty Re: Oasis as a Better Society

Post by Z 7/27/2013, 1:05 am

MineCartbrother wrote:I

TL;DR There should be a volunteer Oasis tourguide to let guests know more about the server, and keep them from having the urge to break the rules.

Going to be honest here. I liked this. I personally think it was VERY well written. However. Usually, people grief because they want to make someone feel angry or mad just so they can get attention. People usually join with the intention ti grief before hand. Having a tour guide to show them cool things will only fuel the fire. Basically, seeing all of these cool creations, they'll simply think ' OOooooooOooOoOoh! More stuff to destroy!!' . And again, typically, when people join with the intention of grieving, they will most likely stick with it through the whole run. I personally think that its better to get the 12s out of the way, and not really spend time talking them out of grieving, which will probably end up to no effect.

This is my opinion on the matter. I look forward to other people's responses in this discussion.

Z
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by _Zeira_ 7/27/2013, 1:28 am

Its a good idea....but when you think about the numbers of guests that log on during the weekends.....there would just never be enough of the tour guides. I think the best thing would be for members to talk to guests more often. 

I read the rule book when I first joined.....but It didn't cover everything I needed to know. I still had to ask many questions in the chat. I did not even know most chat commands when I joined. So What I would propose (saw it on another server) is a "help area". Basically a portal to a building that shows how to lock chests, doors furnaces, etc. And has signs explaining some of the basic commands and what different ranks are. Also visiting the website needs to be stressed more, so many guests haven't read anything on the website which would help them out. 

Ok, done with my mini rant. I should really not respond to anything while im tired. >.<
_Zeira_
_Zeira_
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/27/2013, 1:32 am

_Zeira_ wrote:
I read the rule book when I first joined.....but It didn't cover everything I needed to know. I still had to ask many questions in the chat. I did not even know most chat commands when I joined. So What I would propose (saw it on another server) is a "help area". Basically a portal to a building that shows how to lock chests, doors furnaces, etc. And has signs explaining some of the basic commands and what different ranks are. Also visiting the website needs to be stressed more, so many guests haven't read anything on the website which would help them out. 

Vampiresfire beat you to that idea, like, a year ago.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/27/2013, 2:07 am

Zwall99 wrote:
MineCartbrother wrote:I  

Going to be honest here. I liked this. I personally think it was VERY well written. However. Usually, people grief because they want to make someone feel angry or mad just so they can get attention. People usually join with the intention ti grief before hand. Having a tour guide to show them cool things will only fuel the fire. Basically, seeing all of these cool creations, they'll simply think ' OOooooooOooOoOoh! More stuff to destroy!!' . And again, typically, when people join with the intention of grieving, they will most likely stick with it through the whole run. I personally think that its better to get the 12s out of the way, and not really spend time talking them out of grieving, which will probably end up to no effect.

This is my opinion on the matter. I look forward to other people's responses in this discussion.
Yeah, I was kind of aware of the flaws in this plan. Could there be any possible way to direct their attentions away from the cool things so they wont be tempted to grief?
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/27/2013, 5:05 am

Tour guides are a good idea, to show new potential members/trusteds/etc's what we do here everyday. Might fuel some creativity, and get people to build more interesting things rather then just the wood/cobble survival boxes- especially helpful for people new to the game itself to see its potential.

On the griefing topic, the motivations I see are the following:
-To get attention
-To destroy things simply because they're there
-Youtube/SocialNetwork bragging rights among their idiotic griefer teams/groups/"nations" (coughGNUKcough). Because it's so difficult to destroy things.
-Pranks/Trolls
-Doesn't know how to minecraft, can't survive, too lazy to learn the simple shopchest system
-tl;dr anything of value including but not limited to Rule book, Shop  board, chat, towns' rules, and obvious colored/allcaps signs placed
-"I thought it was abandon"

For all of the noobish reasons, the tour guides probably would help. Would get people started, and make all of our towns more populated. Towns bring people together on projects and survival, rather then sitting outside the portals in a sea of oddly mixmatched boxes and seemingly abandon/griefed things.
For all of the "griefergroupnationcrappers" and "ImfromPMC" or "Give me OP or I will raid your server" we're always going to have those... they provide nourishment and essential vitamins for pet withers :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Linkinparkey 7/27/2013, 5:30 am

As much as I like the idea about the tour guides, I don't think they would make much difference... IMO there are three kinds of people that join the server:

1. People who just want to mess things up, and intend to grief before hand, nomatter what we do on the server to talk them out of it... These can't be helped.

2. People who don't pay attention/don't speak english very well. These people don't respond to the chat, and probably don't even read it, and they probably don't read the rules either, and therefore end up breaking the rules... They don't learn their lesson until after they get banned, and then they make the stupid excuses in order to get unbanned, probably out of embarrassment, when all they could say was "I'm sorry, I didn't read the rules like I should have, but I was confused when I first joined the server"... These can't be helped until after they get banned.

3. People who actually read the rules and pay attention. These are the people that we can help before they break the rules, and they're obviously the least likely to get banned. I personally do all that I can, when I meet these kind of people, trying to introduce them to the server and show them around a bit, and let them know that they can ask any question they want, and then answer them to the best of my abilities. :)
Linkinparkey
Linkinparkey
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by _Zeira_ 7/27/2013, 9:51 am

mickdude2 wrote: Vampiresfire beat you to that idea, like, a year ago.
 Well Its not been done so its still relevant to bring up, im not going to dig through the past two years of forum posts. :P  lol
_Zeira_
_Zeira_
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/27/2013, 10:20 am

_Zeira_ wrote:
mickdude2 wrote: Vampiresfire beat you to that idea, like, a year ago.
 Well Its not been done so its still relevant to bring up, im not going to dig through the past two years of forum posts. :P  lol

It was done, and done well, but I don't think it ever got much attention from guests, mainly because of what linkin said: the basic guest either can't read, doesn't care, or just asks.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by commander_chair 7/27/2013, 10:20 am

If im going to join a fucking server to grief im going to fucking grief. Me seeing any rules in my fucking face every 2 seconds will change that.
commander_chair
commander_chair
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH 7/27/2013, 4:28 pm

Go Team Avo.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/27/2013, 4:38 pm

People please take considerations that their might be a few flaws in this plan. Clearly i get the message that tourguides aren't going to work as well, but im open to any suggestions. It's up to us to make Oasis a better server to play on. As much as I would love to debate with you guys on the "griefers will never change, and it can't always be helped" topic, i just can't help with the fact that a solution to the griefing factor can't be found, as I have said in the forum topic, I can't stop any more people from griefing, but maybe I can decrease the percentage of convicted players a good bit. That's my primary objective.

Okay. Based on the information I gathered from you guys I can tell the tour guides want even work a bit. Tourguides are completely out of the question, but i might have an idea that might work yet. Im planning to build a warp, maybe later in the day, to help. On to the "foreign" players that don't speak english, there's probably nothing we can do with them, except let them be, but then again im sorry for the major flaws in my plans, I guess you could say I didn't think things over, but as an active member, im going to at least try to make Oasis a better server. It's just something I feel like I should do, because this is one of the best servers on Minecraft, and I want to help to keep it that way.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Linkinparkey 7/27/2013, 7:05 pm

Don't sweat it, new ideas are always welcome :) And I like the idea of having tour guides for the players that actually use them, because it will make them want to stay on the server and quickly realise how great a community this is :)
Linkinparkey
Linkinparkey
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 8/7/2013, 10:11 pm

Well...I've been pacing the floors all this month thinking of ideas, but since nothing comes to mind. 

Staff. You may lock this topic.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 8/7/2013, 10:57 pm

mickdude2 wrote:
_Zeira_ wrote:

Vampiresfire beat you to that idea, like, a year ago.

Why must you make me feeellll
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 8/7/2013, 11:20 pm

Now is the time where I wish I could retrieve /warp howtodostuff from the OLD host.....
madscientist032
madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

https://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down