madscientist032
Mr_Big_Mac_Joe
MineCartbrother
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wall o' Factoids - Page 2 Empty Re: Wall o' Factoids

Post by BiggJ1939 7/11/2013, 8:41 am

This is why cockroaces will rule the would one day....

Cockroaches can flatten themselves almost to the thinness of a piece of paper in order to slide into tiny cracks, can be frozen for weeks and then thawed with no ill effects, and can also withstand 126 g’s of pressure with no problem (people get squished at 18 g’s).
BiggJ1939
BiggJ1939
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

http://unexpecteddesign.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by _Zeira_ 7/11/2013, 11:29 am

Big_Piglet wrote:Here's a good one - anyone left handed most likely killed their twin before it could develope past the first stages.

I take offense to this as a lefty.... >:P
_Zeira_
_Zeira_
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Piglet 7/11/2013, 6:51 pm

_Zeira_ wrote:
Big_Piglet wrote:Here's a good one - anyone left handed most likely killed their twin before it could develope past the first stages.

I take offense to this as a lefty.... >:P

I'm a lefty. Your offense is invalid.
Big_Piglet
Big_Piglet
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/11/2013, 9:57 pm

Here's a fact: Italy just had an election of a new prime minister, Enrico Letta, who is the 732nd P.M. in just a short history of ~180 years. That's Italy. Poor, corrupt, mob-run Italy.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/13/2013, 6:29 pm

The highest number ever is 1 googolplex which in scientific form is 10^(1*(10^100))
I dare anyone to count that high.Shocked
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by 4emersons 7/13/2013, 8:00 pm

MineCartbrother wrote:The highest number ever is 1 googolplex which in scientific form is 10^(1*(10^100))

uhmmm, I thought that the highest # is infinity.....hmm
4emersons
4emersons
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/14/2013, 9:04 am

4emersons wrote:
MineCartbrother wrote:The highest number ever is 1 googolplex which in scientific form is 10^(1*(10^100))

Well, you see, infinity isn't really a number, so much as a concept, like all numbers go on for infinity, not to infinity. That being said, a googolplex isn't the highest number, it's just a number. Saying you have the highest number is like saying you have the last digit of pi.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 7/14/2013, 10:05 am

add 1 to that and it is no longer the highest number, hence what mick said. You can always add 1 to something :P.

A googolplex written out:

http://www.stanford.edu/~nitsche/cgi-bin/numbers.pl?googolplex
Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/14/2013, 10:46 am

revilo410 wrote:add 1 to that and it is no longer the highest number, hence what mick said. You can always add 1 to something :P.

A googolplex written out:

http://www.stanford.edu/~nitsche/cgi-bin/numbers.pl?googolplex

IT'S OVER 9000.

Funnily enough, did you know that the line 'Over 9000' is actually mistranslated; it should read 'over 8000'
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggJ1939 7/15/2013, 8:53 am

Speaking of infinity and beyond ;) it would take us, using the slowest but most efficent ion engine, 81000 years to reach the nears solar system to us today. Using the fastest, gravitational assistance and rocket boosters, 19000 years.

And if we were crazy enough to use a nuclear pulse engine, basically blowing up a nuke right behind your ship to push it through space every few seconds, it would be 85 years. But this engine would most likely kill anyone in the spacecraft with our current technology.

Maybe some day.... :)
BiggJ1939
BiggJ1939
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/16/2013, 4:47 pm

BiggJ1939 wrote:Speaking of infinity and beyond ;) it would take us, using the slowest but most efficent ion engine, 81000 years to reach the nears solar system to us today. Using the fastest, gravitational assistance and rocket boosters, 19000 years.

And if we were crazy enough to use a nuclear pulse engine, basically blowing up a nuke right behind your ship to push it through space every few seconds, it would be 85 years. But this engine would most likely kill anyone in the spacecraft with our current technology.

Maybe some day.... :)
Speaking of the solar system and/or gravity. NASA will pay you 150000$ to sit in your bed and do research on the effects of gravity on your body.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Wall o' Factoids - Page 2 Empty Reply

Post by ericcanam 7/18/2013, 12:31 am

Q
mickdude2 wrote:
4emersons wrote:
I dare anyone to count that high.[shock]

Well, you see, infinity isn't really a number, so much as a concept, like all numbers go on for infinity, not to infinity. That being said, a googolplex isn't the highest number, it's just a number. Saying you have the highest number is like saying you have the last digit of pi.

Mick is right.
Also, Minecart, in the time it took you to write that post, Chuck Norris did it three times.
ericcanam
ericcanam
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

http://bit.ly/OasisChalkboard

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggJ1939 7/18/2013, 8:23 am

I just did some math (strangely enough) about actually distances in minecraft compared to real life.

This is assuming each cube is 3'x3'x3' by seeing that 2x1 stack is the size of Steve, being anaverage male of 6' tall.

So:

1 mile in minecraft would be 1760 blocks.

Assuming the average sea level is 65, to dig down to bedrock would only be 195 feet down, or 1/27 of a mile.

Crazy stuff right? I thought it was much more.
BiggJ1939
BiggJ1939
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/18/2013, 7:08 pm

undefined wrote:

Going back to this topic of numbers... wanna know a big number? One so large, a million googolplexs times a million googolplexs is still barely one hundredth of the answer?

Introducing, Graham's Number.

Invented by R.L. Graham as a part of the Ramsey theory, it's a number so massive regular notation won't work. You can't describe it with a power, or even a power of a power of a power. Instead, it's written out like this:

3^3 is 3 to the power of 3, or 27.
3^^3 is 3^(3^3), or 3^27, or 7,625,597,484,987
3^^^3 is 3^^(3^^3), or 3^(7,625,597,484,987^7,625,597,484,987)

So, there are 3^(7,625,597,484,987^7,625,597,484,987) powers in that equation. But we are still not close to our number! Imagine 3^^^^3 numbers with 3^^^3 exponents, 63 times over. That, my friend, is the wonder that is Graham's number.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/18/2013, 7:23 pm

mickdude2 wrote:

Going back to this topic of numbers... wanna know a big number? One so large, a million googolplexs times a million googolplexs is still barely one hundredth of the answer?

Invented by R.L. Graham as a part of the Ramsey theory, it's a number so massive regular notation won't work. You can't describe it with a power, or even a power of a power of a power. Instead, it's written out like this:

So, there are 3^(7,625,597,484,987^7,625,597,484,987) powers in that equation. But we are still not close to our number! Imagine 3^^^^3 numbers with 3^^^3 exponents, 63 times over. That, my friend, is the wonder that is Graham's number.

Now, I know you're trying to imagine this number. Stop. Stop right now. This is one of those areas where math will actually fry your brain... and collapse it into a black hole. There's something called an entropical law, which is the amount of entropy that is produced from raw information (A number) that can be contained within a certain amount of space. The maximum amount of this entropy that can be stored in your brain is related to the size of it (The amount of mass). Graham's number exceeds that limit... So next time your teacher says math is harmless, call her out on it.

mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/18/2013, 9:17 pm

mickdude2 wrote:
mickdude2 wrote:

Now, I know you're trying to imagine this number. Stop. Stop right now. This is one of those areas where math will actually fry your brain... and collapse it into a black hole. There's something called an entropical law, which is the amount of entropy that is produced from raw information (A number) that can be contained within a certain amount of space. The maximum amount of this entropy that can be stored in your brain is related to the size of it (The amount of mass). Graham's number exceeds that limit... So next time your teacher says math is harmless, call her out on it.

Mental
Abuse
T
Humans
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/21/2013, 3:04 pm

Only 2% of people in the whole world can lick their elbows. I wanna meet those people!bounce

follow-up factoid. Besides the queen, the knight, the castle, and the king can visit every space on a chessboard. A bishop, and pawn cannot.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by jackOPSftw 7/22/2013, 6:33 pm

* Stop talking maths...

No fear shakespeare :o lolololol

Almost four hundred years after Shakespeare’s death there are 157 million pages referring to him on Google. There are 132 million for God, 2.7 million for Elvis Presley, and coming up on Shakespeare’s heels, George W Bush with 14.7 million.

And revilo, I've been trying to get to the bottom of that googolplex page, but it took me forever and I gave up :P
jackOPSftw
jackOPSftw
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/24/2013, 12:50 pm

Minecraft factoid: You think that creepers are basicly four legged monsters right? Wrong! Creepers are basically reptilian quadrepeds, notice their green scale-like bodies, and the hissing sound they make when you attack them. These walking explosive creatures are formed by a zombie and a TNT box being fused together by radioactivity found in slimeballs, but luckily the radioactivity doesnt hurt minecrafters. I dont know, im just guessin'.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mefabe 7/24/2013, 2:50 pm

MineCartbrother wrote:Minecraft factoid: You think that creepers are basicly four legged monsters right? Wrong! Creepers are basically reptilian quadrepeds, notice their green scale-like bodies, and the hissing sound they make when you attack them. These walking explosive creatures are formed by a zombie and a TNT box being fused together by radioactivity found in slimeballs, but luckily the radioactivity doesnt hurt minecrafters. I dont know, im just guessin'.

Actually, the creeper was a failed attempt at a pig. Thanks notch!
Also you are more likely to die by a vending machine then get hit by lightning. js.
mefabe
mefabe
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by ericcanam 7/24/2013, 9:46 pm

mefabe wrote:Also you are more likely to die by a vending machine then get hit by lightning. js.

You are ALSO more likely to die from a vending machine than be killed by a shark.

A comedian whose name escapes me once said, "so then let's put SHARKS in all our schools!" and to that I said "You're not intelligent! The reason sharks don't kill as many people as vending machines is because we DON'T PUT THEM IN SCHOOLS NEAR CHILDREN ASKING THEM FOR PEPSI!"

I dunno.

Any other weird "more likely than" factoids? I love reading those.
ericcanam
ericcanam
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

http://bit.ly/OasisChalkboard

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/24/2013, 11:12 pm

"More than Likely" factoids are meh. I prefer "Dying quotes". Like, Che Guevara, Argentinian Revolutionary, said to the soldier tasked with killing him, "Shoot, coward. You will only kill a man". Or another South American revolutionary, Simon Bolivar, said "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth?". Not all Latinos had great quotes- "Wait! Tell them I said something!" was said by Pancho Villa. Another botched quote was by Roald Dahl, who wanted his last words to be "It's just that I will miss you all so much" but when a nurse stuck a needle in him, he shouted "SHIT!" and then died. Southern Confederate General Sheffield had some inspiring words for his troops that proved utterly wrong and fatal- as the Union line was firing, he assured his troops that "They could not hit an elephant at this dis-". Want more Civil War quotes? General Lee said "Strike the Tent!", while his right hand man Stonewall Jackson said "Let us go and rest beneath the shade." However, not everyone wanted to go and rest under the shade. Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys in the Revolutionary War, was told the angels were waiting for him and replied "Waiting? Well they can wait longer!". Lady Astor woke up one day and found that her entire family was gathered in her room. She said "Either I'm dying, or it's my birthday". It wasn't her birthday. The comedian W.C. Fields said, and I'll tone this down to make it more appropriate, "Gosh dang it and the whole fracking world for you, Hattie." Lovely, until you realize his wife was Louis. I think Ben Franklin summed it up best- "A dying man can do nothing easily."

And yes, this was all from the top of my head.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Big_Mac_Joe 7/25/2013, 4:10 am

There are 18 different animal shapes in the Animal Crackers cookie zoo!
Mr_Big_Mac_Joe
Mr_Big_Mac_Joe
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBigMacJoe

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggJ1939 7/25/2013, 8:49 am

Don't ask me how I know this....

But if you eat a polar bear liver, you would likely die of Vitamin A overdose!

Man, they must eat alot of carrots and sweet potatoes :P
BiggJ1939
BiggJ1939
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by MineCartbrother 7/25/2013, 9:27 pm

mickdude2 wrote:"More than Likely" factoids are meh. I prefer "Dying quotes". Like, Che Guevara, Argentinian Revolutionary, said to the soldier tasked with killing him, "Shoot, coward. You will only kill a man". Or another South American revolutionary, Simon Bolivar, said "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth?". Not all Latinos had great quotes- "Wait! Tell them I said something!" was said by Pancho Villa. Another botched quote was by Roald Dahl, who wanted his last words to be "It's just that I will miss you all so much" but when a nurse stuck a needle in him, he shouted "SHIT!" and then died. Southern Confederate General Sheffield had some inspiring words for his troops that proved utterly wrong and fatal- as the Union line was firing, he assured his troops that "They could not hit an elephant at this dis-". Want more Civil War quotes? General Lee said "Strike the Tent!", while his right hand man Stonewall Jackson said "Let us go and rest beneath the shade." However, not everyone wanted to go and rest under the shade. Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys in the Revolutionary War, was told the angels were waiting for him and replied "Waiting? Well they can wait longer!". Lady Astor woke up one day and found that her entire family was gathered in her room. She said "Either I'm dying, or it's my birthday". It wasn't her birthday. The comedian W.C. Fields said, and I'll tone this down to make it more appropriate, "Gosh dang it and the whole fracking world for you, Hattie." Lovely, until you realize his wife was Louis. I think Ben Franklin summed it up best- "A dying man can do nothing easily."

And yes, this was all from the top of my head.
Nobody knows the last words of Einstein because his doctor didnt speak German.
MineCartbrother
MineCartbrother
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2