Swearing / carrying on?

+2
ButersBuild
Ysrael
6 posters

Go down

Swearing / carrying on? Empty Swearing / carrying on?

Post by Ysrael 4/24/2013, 2:10 am

This continued after I took the screen shot.

Swearing / carrying on? Really10

Ysrael
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

Back to top Go down

Swearing / carrying on? Empty Re: Swearing / carrying on?

Post by ButersBuild 4/24/2013, 2:15 am

It takes more then 1 to carry on, Problem is when I stopped someone continued. +I swore once when I died, So take this how you want everyone over exaggerated the moment just like most things that happen.
ButersBuild
ButersBuild
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 4/24/2013, 2:20 am

I was also there, and I saw what happened (as evidenced by the screenshot).

Let me start by listing off the rules broken explicitly by Buters: Swearing, Excessive Caps, Disrespect towards players, and further disrespect toward staff, according to Sec. IX, subsections b, c, and d.

Rules wrote:b. Chat Etiquette
Swearing and sexual content are allowed on Oasis, but you should keep in mind that it is only allowed at an acceptable level. If someone tells you that they feel uncomfortable with the level of swearing or sexual content, you are to stop immediately. Excessive swearing or inappropriate language is punishable by a kick or even a ban. Oasis is home to a wide range of ages, so we ask that you try to keep chat suitable for all of them. Socially unacceptable terms such as 'getting raped' are also not allowed on Oasis. Oasis prides itself on the inclusion of everyone and we ask that you try not to make anyone feel uncomfortable or discluded. Please also note that you must use the English language when talking in general chat. Feel free to use other languages in private messages, but if you're going to talk to the server as a whole, make sure they all can understand what you're saying.

c. Respect
We ask that you exhibit a level of respect that would be expected from you in person.
This includes respecting other players as well as Staff members. Please respect the
authority of the staff members because they generally know what they're talking about. Also, the use of racial slurs or other extremely offensive language/behavior is strictly prohibited.

d. Spamming
Spam is defined as obnoxious chat behavior and is prohibited. Examples of spam include using all capital letters in a sentence, random letters, macro use in public chat without permission, various forms of begging, the usage of a hacked client to spam or any other form of disrupting chat solely for being a nuisance.

Furthermore, he showed complete apathy and lack of concern over the consequences of his actions. He was wholly unappreciative of the fact that he broke the rules, nor did he care much to apologize or even admit he was wrong. Instead, he prolonged the argument, backing up his actions with claims that he did no wrong. In my opinion, breaking one of these rules has earned severe punishment; the combination of all three cannot be overlooked.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by ButersBuild 4/24/2013, 2:27 am

Odd that I disrepected staff when staff wasn't on, Odd how you guys where doing just the same. See You all ganged up on one person which was me because I swore then you guys proceded to tell me to shut up when I was defending myself and when I stopped someone would start up. So before you start your silly Mob and light the torches and pitch forks you all were also Breaking those rules with maybe one exception of not swearing. So.... I have no patience for people who harass me and then call me out when i argue back.
ButersBuild
ButersBuild
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/24/2013, 2:34 am

By "continued": 3 or 4 people telling him that it is, in fact, against the rules while he drug it out and insisted nothing in that statement was against the rules ever.
The spam didn't continue though at least.

I think after 3 or 4 people ask you to watch the language, or tell you it's wrong, it violates the chat etiquette section..... I like buters, but it's kind of annoying when you kindly ask someone to watch their language given the amount of guests online (hoping it won't turn into another spamtastic morning) and they get defensive about it and deny it not even being in the rules. Maybe the chat etiquette section isn't exactly clear on what words are considered against the rules, but the caps/spam is pretty self explanatory... and I've seen people kicked for similar statements, some temp-banned (usually for repeated offense I guess).

------------tl;dr------------
Basically a few people gave a warning to watch language, and it turned into a civil argument regarding whether or not "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" is against the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 4/24/2013, 2:41 am

ButersBuild wrote:Odd that I disrepected staff when staff wasn't on, Odd how you guys where doing just the same. See You all ganged up on one person which was me because I swore then you guys proceded to tell me to shut up when I was defending myself and when I stopped someone would start up. So before you start your silly Mob and light the torches and pitch forks you all were also Breaking those rules with maybe one exception of not swearing. So.... I have no patience for people who harass me and then call me out when i argue back.

You disrespected staff by assuming their rules didn't apply to you.

We were not shouting curse words in all caps, so no, we were not doing the same as you.

You cannot defend blatantly breaking the rules, which is why three people told you to be quiet and stop arguing.

I have no patience for people who break the rules and argue as if they're right.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/24/2013, 2:51 am

Apparently I DO have the screenshots .... must've spammed f2 out of habit
This will probably help instead of taking the argument that ended there over to here...
Some stuff was cut off so I scrucnhed in the size- a lot easier to read with the imgur link at full size
https://i.imgur.com/jCzhZJA.png
Swearing / carrying on? BOAAeqw

Back to top Go down

Post by ButersBuild 4/24/2013, 2:51 am

mickdude2 wrote:
ButersBuild wrote:Odd that I disrepected staff when staff wasn't on, Odd how you guys where doing just the same. See You all ganged up on one person which was me because I swore then you guys proceded to tell me to shut up when I was defending myself and when I stopped someone would start up. So before you start your silly Mob and light the torches and pitch forks you all were also Breaking those rules with maybe one exception of not swearing. So.... I have no patience for people who harass me and then call me out when i argue back.

You disrespected staff by assuming their rules didn't apply to you.

We were not shouting curse words in all caps, so no, we were not doing the same as you.

You cannot defend blatantly breaking the rules, which is why three people told you to be quiet and stop arguing.

I have no patience for people who break the rules and argue as if they're right.

I swore once and the rule clearly states "No Excessive swearing or inappropriate language" I did not think the rules didn't Apply to me you're taking the rule to 'No Swearing. Period' Which that is not the case.

3 people did not tell me to be quiet I was being told to 'Shut up'. You all were carrying the argument when I or anyone for that matter stopped. I was even Pm'd when I stopped.

TL;DR Very Boring argument. Might as well not read.
ButersBuild
ButersBuild
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandaz1 4/24/2013, 4:41 am

Rules are rules. It doesn't matter what happened before or after. One can disrespect staff if they're not on, Even just saying "Oh jeez, Mad's a twat" (Not true, Example) And he would not know of it, Its the same as disrespecting a teacher when they're not around. For arguments sake, Apologies and move on with life, Its mainly a warning saying you seem to be irritating. If something bad happens that usually happens in SSP like dying or losing your pick, Just leave, Calm down and come back on, I'm not yelling at you I am just concerned that this will lead into huge problems with staff and conflict ending in a ban, If you behave and follow the rules, Even if you think some are stupid, Then you will fly through the server leaving nothing but smiles and good remarks, Heads up for the future and I hope you sort things out. Like the old saying goes, Two wrongs don't make a right, So if something goes wrong, Give it to staff to deal with that way rants are not made and punishment is small and harmless.

Pandaz1
Pandaz1
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/24/2013, 5:58 am

The entire argument summed up:
- "FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK"
- dispute over the existence of a "language" rule. Rule link posted with citations.
- defending interpretations of the chat etiquette rules.
- Ysrael:"common sense says to drop it"
- Australia2012:"shut up"
Hell, I think we've argued more here then in chat... that argument only lasted like 5 minutes maybe...

I wish there was a rule of thumb regarding the use of language. Honestly, I've seen people break chat etiquette rules less or worse then what buters said- either with consequences, or without any repercussion at all. It makes it extremely difficult to tell anyone they can't say something when others break the rules and get away with it all the time... given everyone has a different interpretation of what is acceptable.

When staff is online, it's easy- staff discretion decides everything for you. They don't like something, they kick. They're ok with it, they let it be. Things like this can be settled quickly. But when no one's online to dictate what is acceptable or not, it should be common sense that if a couple people say "watch language" you should stop it without added questions, sarcasm, and unneeded dispute.

In my opinion, I don't think something this trivial might have even been worth posting here, but seeing as it drug out into this, it might at least be worth asking a question regarding the correct interpretation of the rules.

Also:
ButersBuild wrote:3 people did not tell me to be quiet I was being told to 'Shut up'.
The only one who I saw specifically told you to "shut up" (not sure about the pms) was Australia2012. Mick and I eventually noticed and told him to stop. Response was "ok". I don't remember him doing it afterward. However, I have no idea what happened in pms...
ButersBuild wrote:You all were carrying the argument when I or anyone for that matter stopped. I was even Pm'd when I stopped.
When someone asks you to watch the language, according to the rules, you are to "stop immediately". Was the added sarcasm in response to the warning, making light of being banned, and comment on how easily people are offended really necessary? Because without it, the argument wouldn't be here.

No one here is trying to put you down or harass you... at least I'm not :\
To be honest, if guests or younger players weren't online, I wouldn't have said anything at all. From past experience, when one person says something like that with guests or younger people online, it turns into a spamtastic snowball of crap. I'm usually on at this hour, and I've seen it happen- had to report people a few times before. People caps/language/spam enough as it is, without the added encouragement from seeing [member] or higher do it as well. And when [trusted] tries to say that "FUUUUUUUUUCK" is not against the rules, and argues that language as being acceptable, that really does not help.
It sets the standard that everyone can "CAAAAAAAAAAPS" everytime they want to, and give a sarcastic response when anyone that says to stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 4/24/2013, 10:20 am

You guys take this way outta context. You should all know when to stop. You should also know that saying "stop it" is probably one of the best ways for players to continue swearing. So, as unintuitive as it sounds, you can always ignore them via /ignore or just mentally.

I expected better from you guys.

Thread locked for the time being.
madscientist032
madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

https://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 4/24/2013, 5:26 pm

Hehe Buters. I gave him a warning guys, he's just a troll. I'll take further action if it continues, you all know how I love my rules.

Actual Steam Conversation wrote:Buters: making everyone on the server rage because i said fuck lol
Buters: was told to not spam i said fuck once and they raged
Kevo235: :l
Kevo235: stop trollin
Buters: trollins sooooooo fun though
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 4/24/2013, 5:29 pm

Kevo235 wrote:Hehe Buters. I gave him a warning guys, he's just a troll. I'll take further action if it continues, you all know how I love my rules.

Actual Steam Conversation wrote:Buters: making everyone on the server rage because i said fuck lol
Buters: was told to not spam i said fuck once and they raged
Kevo235: :l
Kevo235: stop trollin
Buters: trollins sooooooo fun though

Doublepost ftw, but Buters does actually have a point here. You could have just said stop and that would have been the end of it, from what I see, Both Parties made a huge deal out of something that should have just been warned and forgotten until later.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down