Minecraft Horse Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Minecraft Horse Project

Post by Cheerioes on 6/23/2014, 11:49 pm

Hello all! This morning, I was arranging my horsies in a most pleasing fashion, and I was thinking about horse speeds. For awhile I had questions of whether color mattered on horse speed, and what were the general  averages of horse speeds? I decided to catalogue all horse speeds by color, and then graph them and see what the results showed.

Horse speed vs. Color Frequency

Abstract:

For the experiment, I used a wild group of horses and two tamed control horses. The colors I studied were buckskin, flaxen/chestnut, bay, dark bay/liver, gray, white, and black. Using a lead, I am able to determine the random speed given to the horse by minecraft/plugin algorithm. We have two different speeds, an old, or actual speed, and the new speed updated by a recent minecraft and server update. I decided to use the older speeds, deemed the actual speed, and used a formula to convert all current speeds to the old speed. I gathered speeds from about 180 horses, all wild, separating the data by color. I did not discern markings on the horses, rather using the base color to sort speeds.

Control:

When the lead-speed plugin first came out, there was an original speed given to all horses. The highest range of speeds found before was almost 10, while the lowest speed ranged to around 4. This number was disrupted by a recent update, where speeds found by a lead were radically stratified, causing some confusion and the original scale to be disrupted. However, original speed of a horse was still found in a portable saddle.
I took two horses who were attached to a portable saddle to find the percentage error between the actual speed (A) and the experimental, or new speed (E). One of the horses, Crunk, had a lead speed of 12.82, and this is the experimental (E) speed. The actual speed, found on the portable saddle, is 8.95. In order to find the percentage error, I used this formula:

(A-E/E)(100)= +/-Percentage error %

I plugged in Crunk's values.

(8.95-12.82/8.95)(100) = about 43%*

This number is the percent increase from 8.95 to 12.82.
With much help from Wii the math wizard,  I could know use this error value to find the values of all experimental values on horses without using portable saddles to find the actual speed.

12.82/1.43= 8.95
or
E/1.43= A

This value, 1.43, divided by any current speed value, will get the actual speed, or old value. I tested this on another portable horse, "Guera's Horse", who had an E speed of  12.23, and an 8.52 A speed. The percent difference is also 43%.

Data Table:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TUt8ofrLS0fgF9aSqu2m3_JIyZe_W8nyZlsA1bn9RXY/edit?usp=sharing

Graph:

Interpretation:

Speed is the dependent variable on the scatterplot. Color is the independent variable. There are seven sets of data points, organized by color and correspond to horse color.
Black- black horse
Light gray- white
dark gray- gray
brown- dark bay
dark red- bay
goldenrod- flaxen
orange- buckskin

Conclusion:

At first glance, while plotting the graph points, I saw no outstanding trend within the colors. But as I looked closer, I noticed some groups tended towards an average than others. The flaxen, for instance, were grouped more closely to the traditional speed average of 7, and did not have any outlying trends, especially below the median range (7.3-7.6). This also included black horses, who were more likely to trend in the middle and upwards, and in some cases, flaxen and black data points over lapped. These were smaller groups, however, and big groups like bay, white, and gray, who had more than 20 horses each, had more spread out points. Their data points trended inside the average range, and then downwards, rather than upwards. More horses in general were below the 6.00 mark than above the 8.00 mark, meaning it is rarer for a wild horse to spawn with that high of a speed.
The graph shows that horses in the wild are most likely to spawn between 6.00 and 8.00, specifically around 7.5, largely independent of color. Horses who do not spawn in this range will more likely to be slower than 7.00. According to the sample, horses most likely to spawn faster, or at the 8.00 mark or above, are white, gray, and dark bay. Horses that spawn slower are buckskin, bay, and also, white. Still, these data points trend closer to the middle, with only a few strewed points from bay, meaning these are not readily impacting the trend that horse color largely impacts the speed.

It is interesting to me, at least, to note that the actual, or old speed, of the horse was multiplied by 43% to the current speed. In minecraft coding, horse block per second speeds are about 43 times to the set/internal value. Perhaps in the update the plugin reset old speeds and multiplied them by this 43%. (this is just a hunch, probably wrong)

source:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Horse

Thanks for reading! :D

Cheerioes
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Minecraft Horse Project

Post by Xhoblophone on 6/23/2014, 11:56 pm

I can make rhubarb cake

Xhoblophone
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robbie291 on 6/24/2014, 2:24 am

Ok cheer let me get this straight....
Never mind I'm lost. Lol props on taking the time and figuring this out I think I will just ask you when I have a horse speed question.

robbie291
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 6/24/2014, 8:07 am

Edit: Goddammit that was supposed to be a funny gif

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheerioes on 6/24/2014, 9:24 am

Wink  Hahaah, well the important, and probably disappointing thing is that

horse speed is not affected by horse coat color

Cheerioes
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well..

Post by fidel52 on 6/24/2014, 10:00 am

Well this is odd to hear because the fastest horses ive had are black or have been black...

fidel52
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheerioes on 6/24/2014, 10:14 am

fidel52 wrote:Well this is odd to hear because the fastest horses ive had are black or have been black...

One of the reasons why I did the study- because my two fastest horses for awhile were both white- and now my fastest horse is a bay, which coincidentally the fastest horse on Oasis currently is also a bay

Cheerioes
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 6/24/2014, 8:14 pm

Algorithmically speaking, words are fun.

Thats quite the maths you have there, I only hope one day I will posses maths like that... I probably do now, but still, it would be nice to have down the line too.

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 4emersons on 6/24/2014, 9:24 pm

*blinks at screen a few times* ... *blinks at screen twice more* ... whut

4emersons
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on 6/24/2014, 9:38 pm

fidel52 wrote:Well this is odd to hear because the fastest horses ive had are black or have been black...

RACIST!

js....

<3

StupidTester.com says I'm 0% Stupid! How stupid are you? Click Here!

Paxination
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 6/24/2014, 10:16 pm

What Usain, Pax? Just cuz the horse is black and is named Bolt means nothing...

Usain as in Usain Bolt, the runner, and also as in an abreviation of "you saying". Get it? Am I right?

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top