Just a suggestion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just a suggestion

Post by OasisMaximus on 5/13/2014, 1:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Lately i find that i have a lot of ideas for some great projects that i would love to do on oasis. However, I have to cancel some of those projects because they are not allowed according to the oasis SMP server rules. Most of the things that I'm talking about are (semi-)automated farms, like iron golem farms or pigman gold farms. I have thought long about posting a suggestion like this, but I decided to do so, because I just would love to see it change in the rules and it just feels like a restriction to minecraft itself.

Please don't get me wrong, if the rules aren't going to change after this I will and will have to follow them, as I always am trying to do as hard as I can.

So here is my suggestion:

I (as I explained above) and I think also a lot of other players would love to be able to make those kind of farms. It implies under the oasis SMP rules section IV.c (building rules, lag generating structures):

Oasis SMP rules IV.c wrote:Builds which generate excessive amounts of lag as determined by staff are prohibited. Examples include large scale auto farms and Redstone Clocks. In the event a build is deemed to generate excessive amounts of lag it must either be dismantled or modified in a way to bring lag generation down to an acceptable level as determined by staff. ALL types of AFK autofarms (large or small) are strictly prohibited on Oasis SMP and will be removed without warning and without item/material reimbursement.

I think that this part of the rules should be changed because not all kinds of AFK farms are lag intensive, which applies to the two examples i gave earlier, because an Iron golem farm is just a compact big village (that also spawn randomly in the world) and the pigman farm with nether portals create about the same amount of lag as a huge crop farm (it relies on random game ticks, just like crops). Also, if the rules would be changed, everyone would be able to make them. So no one would be left behind in the IConomy system that the server has.

Again, don't get me wrong. I will NOT break this rule if it will not be changed. I want to ask staff to think about this and at least consider it.

Sincerly,
Dr_Crazyy

ps. i found an error in the rules::

Oasis SMP rules IV.b wrote:A player's property is defined as the area enclosed by what they have built in one specific plot of land, plus 5 extra blocks in any direction. Example: if a player builds a house that is 10x10, they are entitled to a 15x15 area in which their house is the exact center. Any issues concerning property ownership or building rights is within the discretion of the staff.
The 15x15 part should be 20x20 :$

OasisMaximus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Just a suggestion

Post by MegaScary2 on 5/13/2014, 1:51 pm

I do believe that they just changed this rule to make it stricter. (staff can correct me on this if I am wrong)
These kind of farms generate more lag overall and I do not believe that it would be a good idea to let just anyone build them.   
Those rules are there for a specific reason and not just for the heck of it.

MegaScary2
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5/13/2014, 2:56 pm

Iron golem and gold farms where fully auto... meaning they killed and collected drops with someone afk there. Gold farms also require a giant chunk World edited out of the nether to work properly, since building above the nether causes lag (Banned). There was a gold farm above the nether that had to be moved, and eventually deleted from abuse.

Semi-auto would mean you can't afk near them and expect them to do everything for you. /warp blaze is semi-auto, since it requires you to kill the mobs. However, afk-ing in those rooms is also not allowed, since the mobs will stack up and cause lag. This rule for the blaze farm specifically has been in place since pax's blaze farm back in 1.4 or so. With the hell of lag that people afk near skeleton spawners (with enormous amounts of arrows-that-won't-disappear) have put us through, be glad spawners aren't banned.... intense skelefarm lag happened again just a few days ago v-v

There was a long staff debate before the rule was put in place. To my understanding, afk farms are banned because 1) they caused lag (and some, like auto-fishing, involved redstone clocks, which are banned) and 2) because a certain people took them to the extremes and got rich from being afk all day by making waterpools near a bunch of farms.

Maybe 3) because a number of staff feel strongly that people shouldn't benefit from doing next to nothing, me included. This is a community based server, being afk all day just to collect an excess of resources to sell defeats the purpose. go mine? go fish? farm food? build? There's an abundance of resources and methods of obtaining them actively without afk-farms, imo.
-----------

Maybe the projects are still possible though. Warp blaze is a public semi-auto farm. If there was a public semi-auto iron golem and gold farm, which would require the player to kill the mobs and not be afk all day near it, I think it could be within the rules.

We've been removing all town/public/private irongolem and gold farms up to this point, so I do not know if that will be reconsidered.

Last edited by Lina on 5/13/2014, 4:34 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : v-v")

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 5/13/2014, 3:20 pm

The rule of No AFK Farms has no correlation with lagginess. Staff does not want unresponsive players online, because it complicates things. Also as a player, I don't want to be talking to one or two people, while another ten are away at AFK farms.

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5/13/2014, 3:28 pm

People sit near a skele farm afk and watch all the arrows count up until their fps is zero and staff can't even tp into the area to find the problem without disconnecting. This has happened at least 3 times now. Lag does have something to do with it. People should not be afk near spawners.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderHorse on 5/13/2014, 3:57 pm

Ok now im consfused. Now you guys are allowing semi-auto farms but not automatic. Well my iron golem farm at wolftown was semi-auto and i was told it had to be removed. Now you guys say those are allowed so if thats the case why wasnt i asked just to modify it instead of removing the whole thing which took 3 hours to build (first time building 1 so had to keep lookign at youtube videos to build it right) and took 10 minutes to remove. 

So if they are allowed does that mean i can rebuild it?

ThunderHorse
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robbie291 on 5/13/2014, 4:19 pm

Thunder I had a  Chicken farm remove that wasnt intended to be afk but i left it on one day when i disconected, and didnt understand either....apparently it causes bad lag so i just put a switch on my chicken machine and was told by leagle that was fine.

Last edited by robbie291 on 5/13/2014, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

robbie291
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: just a suggestion

Post by OasisMaximus on 5/13/2014, 4:20 pm

Thank you all for your feedback and response :).

Lina wrote:With the hell of lag that people afk near skeleton spawners (with enormous amounts of arrows-that-won't-disappear) have put us through, be glad spawners aren't banned.... intense skelefarm lag happened again just a few days ago v-v

I totally agree with you on this Lina, i think you even mean the time when you and Leagle helped me with cleaning up a spawner just out of Varrock, which had more than 1500 arrows around it, so i know what you're trying to say and i know how much lag we're talking about (it's really bad, it was less than 1 fps for me). Also, I totally agree with what Mick said. People shouldn't be online on Oasis all day long afk. That's just not what minecraft and oasis are meant for. People should play and have fun with each other, not just stand afk to get more materials. 

However, this is more what i meant with my post:

Lina wrote:Maybe the projects are still possible though. Warp blaze is a public semi-auto farm. If there was a public semi-auto iron golem and gold farm, which would require the player to kill the mobs and not be afk all day near it, I think it'd be within the rules.

Farms that don't require a lot of laggy redstone or being afk and that don't cause a heck of a lot of entities to spawn.

My introduction!

OasisMaximus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5/13/2014, 4:29 pm

@thunder
emphasis on "I think". I never said these projects where allowed. Was an afterthought on maybe changing rules to fit semi-auto, making them allowed. The purpose of this thread was to get a rules change.
I was just told all iron golem farms needed to be removed, I don't know whether a different kind will be reconsidered or not. I said "I think" for a reason v-v
The projects described in the post would need to be checked with admins/owners before allowed, since we've removed all those kinds of farms found up to this point...

@robbie Redstone clocks that are on constantly cause lag. Needs a switch to shut it off. Clocks have been banned, before the afk farm rule. The switch also made it semi-auto and not afk-able.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top