Access road planning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Access road planning

Post by acsempronio on 5/6/2011, 5:21 pm

Abstract:
I am planning a road from the Central City through to the north border. There are some nice views and geologic forms that shouldn't be missed.
However, a universally accepted road system is nice in a world map like ours. It lets guests and members alike know that their server's world takes the time and energy to create a great unified travel system. Plus it may help with people who get lost in the woods as was apparent (for me) last night.

Requirements:
Level ground, tunnels, bridges and (rail systems?) will require the use of diggers, layers, engineers, builders and electricians.

Materials:
Cobblestone blocks
Cobblestone steps
smooth stone blocks
smooth stone slabs
Wood blocks
Wood steps
Sandstone steps
Fences
Torches
Glowstone blocks
redstone
sticks
rails
powered rails
brake rails
other materials as needed

Design:
The road will be constructed with Cobblestone as was the norm for roads before automobiles.
The road will be five blocks wide, bordered by sandstone slabs. At this point my design planning deviates; I can either:
1. Place cobblestone in the ground, level with the surrouding terrain with sanstone slabs placed along the border as a raised sidewalk.
2. cut a 9 wide trench. Inside, cut a 5 wide trench. In the 5 wide trench, place cobblestone. Next to it, place sandstone slabs, and next to that, full sandstone blocks. This will effectively drop the surface of the road 1 block below the surface of the terrain.
Tunnels will be cut to get as close as possible to a rounded design and less of a squared tunnel. Glowstones will be flush fit to provide tunnel light. Tunnels should be at least as tall as they are wide as this will prevent a claustrophobic feel. A uniform smooth stone wall and ceiling will help with the aesthetics.
Street lights will be a combination of fencing and wooden blocks with torches (or perhaps a glowstone instead.)
small water crossing can be accomplished by building a culvert. moderate bridge spans can be done with with flat beam bridges or arch bridges and larger spans should be done with over or under truss bridges. The largest expanse in the map, regardless of road, should be a suspension bridge and should be an engineering feat. I will do my best to avoid overly-wide water crossings.

Hard work and time.

Since I haven't walked the route yet, I will need to do that. I will place signs with a "proposed road" or some such.

Help would be appreciated with this project, especially with the larger bridge structures, I have ideas in my head but age has tempered my imagination with such things.

Other notations:
I am opting NOT to use obsidian as if it is placed incorrectly or if I decide I don;t like the location, removing it is a chore. Since my road is only 5 wide, perhaps a freeway-style raised highway should implement this darker material.

I think planning should consider a railway adjacent to the road or even in the road itself. Any powered railway should have the redstone wiring and torches underground for a more aesthetic appeal. track switching should be accomplished with levers and visible redstone torches to notify the rider of a left or right turn. Any redstone related activities should be left to those with a better understanding than I.

If you got this far, I appreciate the time taken to read it.

Suggestions are encouraged!

Sempronio

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Access road planning

Post by Okowi on 5/6/2011, 7:18 pm

It's quite an ambitious project, what are your play times in reference to Eastern U.S. I may be able to help you at certain times.

Okowi
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/6/2011, 7:23 pm

I'm usually on from 20:30 to 01:00 PDT or so.

Weekends are varied and erratic.

Ambitious is what I do. I feel that this server could be more and so much more than just random buildings.

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/7/2011, 9:11 pm

The following homes now have my road nearby:

AC Sempronio (Me)
PurpleCashew (house on the hill near me)
Regisigh
J8cob
A Giant Pagoda

Currently planning has brought me to Devil Dog's house. I need permission to run my road under your walkways or I can't continue to the Central City.

If anyone else has a home in the wilderness in the Northern, NW or NE areas, let me know and I will plan a road to you. (Northern regions have a negative X value (-1500 is furthest north)

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/7/2011, 10:07 pm

I really, really, really, REALLY, like it when people put planning and thought into creating something that not only looks good, but is functional. I wish more people would do this and I would be more than happy to do any part you need. Just ask me if you see me in game and if I'm not doing my staff duties I would love to help out.

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by devildog115 on 5/7/2011, 10:15 pm

acsempronio wrote:The following homes now have my road nearby:

AC Sempronio (Me)
PurpleCashew (house on the hill near me)
Regisigh
J8cob
A Giant Pagoda

Currently planning has brought me to Devil Dog's house. I need permission to run my road under your walkways or I can't continue to the Central City.

If anyone else has a home in the wilderness in the Northern, NW or NE areas, let me know and I will plan a road to you. (Northern regions have a negative X value (-1500 is furthest north)

you can go under it.or what ever , which house is it?

devildog115
Banned
Banned

View user profile http://www.P2SF.webstarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/8/2011, 12:09 am

THIS ONE...

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/9/2011, 2:31 pm

The road has now been extended to Devil Dog and under his lake via tunnel.

Many thanks to Shank Fist for his help in tunneling and patching.

Plans have been laid to extend the road to within visible distance of the Spawn dome.

Laying the path will be tricky because of existing structures an terrain.

Because I jumped on this project late in world creation, I am doing my best not to disrupt others' area and am using this time as an opportunity to fine tune design and layout for the road system I want to work on in the New World.

To all and any owners... if you need help laying permanent structures for the new world, I would be happy to hop on board (especially if I can start my road early!)

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by devildog115 on 5/9/2011, 4:13 pm

acsempronio wrote:THIS ONE...

yes you can also after my house you may hit wolfouts old abandon house but yes you can go through it or what ever

devildog115
Banned
Banned

View user profile http://www.P2SF.webstarts.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top