Griefing Dissuades New Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Griefing Dissuades New Players

Post by EvanBalls on 2/25/2011, 4:17 pm

As of my writing this, we're still on the temporary server. So, while griefing and general nonsense is probably to be expected, I've noticed some of the new (non-member) players being discouraged in even playing in the server, whether its on a permanent map or not, since they've been regularly griefed over the past few days. Even if it's going to be destroyed anyway once the new map gets going, I can understand the frustration people have when they see something they have spent time creating just be ruined. It's especially frustrating when each and every piece of that building, farm, whatever, has been constructed using legitimately earned blocks. That is, no spawning items, etc.

So what is there to do about griefing? What things are in place right now that can help keep griefers off of the server? Is this just an issue for the temporary map? I know things like flint and iron aren't normally available, which removes the possibility of burnt buildings and forests. I never experienced griefing on the old map myself, only rarely seeing it elsewhere. But, it seems like we're kind of wasting an opportunity in two ways here...

In one way, there are potentially good players joining the server only to see is a broken, burning wasteland. What monuments do exist are in ruins thanks to griefing. I know if I had joined the server during this "transition", I probably would not have stayed for more than a few minutes, at most a day. If the map is to be changed today or soon, anyway, maybe this isn't going to be a problem anymore.

In another way, we could probably be picking out who is actually doing all of this griefing in the logs, if there are any, and making sure whoever is doing a lot of this won't be doing the same thing in the real map. Maybe there has been a lot of banning already going on that I don't know of. But either way, I know I'd be keeping a good eye on who is causing the trouble now, while they think they can get away with it, and cracking down on them.

EvanBalls
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

aiwsdcrnhcgkmsgf

Post by brotherpk6 on 2/25/2011, 4:24 pm

TEMPORARY SERVER? IP?

brotherpk6
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Griefing Dissuades New Players

Post by Ariley on 2/25/2011, 5:00 pm

the new map, in which there will be no griefing, will look pretty and clean. that should be up in a few hours.

working as fast as I can.

thanks for the concern though.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re:Griefing Dissuades New Players

Post by brandon1001 on 2/25/2011, 7:08 pm

i think that we should keep an eye out for those new payers right ariley. ariley dont u have a log recording all of the player's actions?

brandon1001
Banned
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top