Oasis Community Truths

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oasis Community Truths

Post by Roboterlein on 5/27/2012, 1:45 am

Disclaimer: This is not a statement on Oasis' current state. This is not a statement on the state of any of Oasis' members. This is a jest for or against anyone or anything.

These are Truths inalienable to a Minecraft Community such as ours. These are Truths I have collected from my work, studies, and life in general. Take them as you will.

MC Com. Truths

Humans are more important than Hardware.

  • It doesn't matter how awesome your computer is, what plugins you're running, or how smoothly your server runs; without players, there is no community.


Quality is better than Quantity.

  • An endless desert is neat for a short while, but without variance, there is nothing interesting. We all like to use glass blocks, but if that's all there were on a server, it'd get boring pretty quickly. Without creative, ambitious, quality players, a community is nothing but another group of pixels on a screen, with nothing to add but memory to load.


Effective Staff cannot be mass produced.

  • Staff must be familiar to and empathetic with the community they're governing. Without careful selection, promoting, and training, any staff put in place will be inefficient and unable to properly keep our community positive, safe, and forward-moving.


Competent Staff cannot be created after emergencies occur.

  • Example Emergency: Staff leave, quit, and/or retire en masse. Replacement Staff cannot likewise be created en masse to fill such a void. Any such Staff would be ineffective, as the process to elect them skirted the selection, promotion, and training process to create Effective Staff. They would lack the competence, maturity, and ability to act with empathy and familiarity necessary to maintain our community as we know and love it.


Most Staff Operations require non-Staff assistance.

  • Staff are not superhuman, latchkey entities in human evolution, nor droning, calculative machines. They, too, are players and members of our community. They require the assistance of all non-Staff members in the form of compliance, conscious effort, and symbiotic relationships. Everyone must work together to make this an Oasis.




Feel free to comment. Add, subtract, and scrutinize all you see. What do you think?


Last edited by Roboterlein on 5/27/2012, 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Roboterlein
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 157
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 25
Location : EasternNorthCentralMidwestUSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Kevo235 on 5/27/2012, 3:03 am

Overall this is brilliant. However, given current events I think one part needs to be addressed.

[quote="Roboterlein"]
Competent Staff cannot be created after emergencies occur.

  • Example Emergency: Staff leave, quit, and/or retire en masse. Replacement Staff cannot likewise be created en masse to fill such a void. Any such Staff would be ineffective, as the process to elect them skirted the selection, promotion, and training process to create Effective Staff. They would lack the competence, maturity, and ability to act with empathy and familiarity necessary to maintain our community as we know and love it.
[quote]

You're absolutely right. However, staff contenders that have been on queue can always be called up, agreed? If there's perfect candidates but no room for them than they can wait until an emergency to be promoted.

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Roboterlein on 5/27/2012, 3:08 am

You're absolutely right. However, staff contenders that have been on queue can always be called up, agreed? If there's perfect candidates but no room for them than they can wait until an emergency to be promoted.

Provided they've been selected, promoted, and trained by due process, I see nothing wrong. However, this is creating Staff in an emergency. The process cannot be expedited.

Roboterlein
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 157
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 25
Location : EasternNorthCentralMidwestUSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by vampiresfire on 5/27/2012, 3:14 am

I agree 100% but i feel two of your points may be intended as a commentary on the current staffing situation on oasis in which case there are some fine details worth pointing out.

Effective Staff cannot be mass produced.

This is True generally speaking but as it relates to the current state of affairs it seems the underlying assumption is we do not already have members of the community who would make effective staff. I am Confident in saying we do in fact have members of the community who were ready to take on a staff role before staff started quitting.

Competent Staff cannot be created after emergencies occur.

As stated in the previous section we already have several community members who would have made effective staff before any perceived emergency. But beyond that we must endeavor to avoid being the veritable deer in headlights. After all you did mention staff are not super human and i think we can agree leaving the sever in chaos every night creates a negative image for our otherwise great server.


vampiresfire
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : California, United states

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Roboterlein on 5/27/2012, 7:46 am

Sorry, or gladly?, this is not a statement about the current state of Oasis. I added a disclaimer in order to better qualify.

Roboterlein
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 157
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 25
Location : EasternNorthCentralMidwestUSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by sirporkrind on 5/27/2012, 1:25 pm

ROBO!

sirporkrind
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 306
Join date : 2011-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Nova042 on 5/27/2012, 1:59 pm

Roboterlein wrote:
Humans are more important than Hardware.

  • It doesn't matter how awesome your computer is, what plugins you're running, or how smoothly your server runs; without players, there is no community.

Agreed. Thank you.

Roboterlein wrote:Quality is better than Quantity.

  • An endless desert is neat for a short while, but without variance, there is nothing interesting. We all like to use glass blocks, but if that's all there were on a server, it'd get boring pretty quickly. Without creative, ambitious, quality players, a community is nothing but another group of pixels on a screen, with nothing to add but memory to load.

I would also agree with you on this in some respects. If you have a company, and your employees require training in order to do their job well, you don't want to have them coming and going all the time. From a patron point of view, this is not always true. Sometimes you want mass guests rather than only a few loyal customers (look at Wal-Mart for example). However is there any reason why we can't have both? If you have a great server, the quantity will come and the quality will stay.

Roboterlein wrote:Effective Staff cannot be mass produced.

  • Staff must be familiar to and empathetic with the community they're governing. Without careful selection, promoting, and training, any staff put in place will be inefficient and unable to properly keep our community positive, safe, and forward-moving.

Gunna say I agree with this as well. You never want to rush and just pick anyone for staff. I also just want to re-emphasize the point that, "Staff must be empathetic with the community they're governing". Don't forget that these guests are PEOPLE and should be treated as such. Just because someone is swearing and griefing, does not mean you should disrespect them as well. I worked for a year at my local college as a glorified security guard. I wrote ~30-50 parking tickets each day. Now the cost of a parking ticket was like $30, but none the less people were outraged about getting one. I also had to work the front counter where people came in to complain. Even if I had not written a single ticket that day, but another staff did, that person came up to the counter and screamed at me. It wasn't my fault, but it was my job to assist them calmly and respectfully even though I was being called names and told I was a despicable person for doing my job.


However:

Roboterlein wrote:Competent Staff cannot be created after emergencies occur.

  • Example Emergency: Staff leave, quit, and/or retire en masse. Replacement Staff cannot likewise be created en masse to fill such a void. Any such Staff would be ineffective, as the process to elect them skirted the selection, promotion, and training process to create Effective Staff. They would lack the competence, maturity, and ability to act with empathy and familiarity necessary to maintain our community as we know and love it.

With respect to our server, I have to disagree with this. Given that we take into account point #2 (quality is better than quantity), this should mean that the Oasis veteran/artisan/architect selection should already consist of quality, friendly, helpful people right? These people are already doing most of what a staff member already does by helping out guests and other members, offering advise on builds etc, all they need is the badge. Look at right now for example (shameless self plug Smile) I have to say that I, Vampiresfire and Commander all would make excellent guides and staff and could fill the post of missing staff at a moment's notice. If the foundation is in place, building a great new set of staff members is ready to go. I think this point would fit better if oasis ranking worked as a, "1 or 10 only" system where in order to become a 10 staff you have to be trained on point 2-9. Instead Oasis works as a tier system consisting of people currently sitting in all ranks of 1-10. So people in the 8-9 rank can move up to 10 relatively quickly.


Roboterlein wrote:Most Staff Operations require non-Staff assistance.

  • Staff are not superhuman, latchkey entities in human evolution, nor droning, calculative machines. They, too, are players and members of our community. They require the assistance of all non-Staff members in the form of compliance, conscious effort, and symbiotic relationships. Everyone must work together to make this an Oasis.

This is a very important point. Remember that Staff are players as well. They are also on this server to have fun. If I ever become staff again, I certainly do not plan to quit building. If you work with them and try to follow the rules to the best of your ability, it makes their job a lot easier and more fun.

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 694
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 32
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Roboterlein on 5/28/2012, 1:14 am

For space and brevity purposes, I have limited your quotes to, what I feel are, the important segments. Your entire argument, for all else to read, is still listed above.

Nova042 wrote:
... Sometimes you want mass guests rather than only a few loyal customers (look at Wal-Mart for example)....

I agree here, but I believe that the quality must come first, to ensure the constant influx of quantity. If I were to make a statement about our current Oasis (hypothetical or not, take it as you will), I'd say that our numbers could be higher so quantity > quality is not necessarily a problem, however; in my opinion, quality > quanitity is better for us.

Nova042 wrote:
... I... want to re-emphasize the point that, "Staff must be empathetic with the community they're governing". Don't forget that these guests are PEOPLE and should be treated as such. Just because someone is swearing and griefing, does not mean you should disrespect them as well....

Along these lines, there are rules that are supposed to be followed for noting, warning, kicking and then banning players for their various offenses. The intensity and expedience should be relegated to the situation and offense at hand. Proper notage is to be recorded for each action taken by Staff against players. I recognize that Staff has a lot of work to do, and cannot/will not always be able to properly record everything they do. Therefor, I not only believe in but promote the right of all members of Oasis to use the forums to also record the actions of Staff, as well as other players, in the appropriate places here in the forums. This works as a 'quality assurance' of sorts, if you will.

Nova042 wrote:
Roboterlein wrote:Competent Staff cannot be created after emergencies occur.

  • Example Emergency: Staff leave, quit, and/or retire en masse. Replacement Staff cannot likewise be created en masse to fill such a void. Any such Staff would be ineffective, as the process to elect them skirted the selection, promotion, and training process to create Effective Staff. They would lack the competence, maturity, and ability to act with empathy and familiarity necessary to maintain our community as we know and love it.

With respect to our server, I have to disagree with this. [T]he Oasis veteran/artisan/architect selection should already consist of quality, friendly, helpful people right? These people are already doing most of what a staff member already does by helping out guests and other members, offering advise on builds etc, all they need is the badge.... I have to say that I, Vampiresfire and Commander all would make excellent guides and staff and could fill the post of missing staff at a moment's notice. If the foundation is in place, building a great new set of staff members is ready to go.

Unfortunately, I disagree with your disagreement. The Oasis veteran/artisan/architect ranks are awarded for reasons other than why we elect Staff. Each has its own description and prerequisits. While each rank may consist of 'quality, friendly, helpful people,' they do not '[do] most of what a [S]taff member already does.' While it is the responsibility of Staff to be helpful (i.e. offering advice, keeping players informed, etc), it is their job to maintain the orderly, creative, and fun nature of the server. If they were helpful, but not governing, the server would fall apart. If they were governing, but not helpful (which is sometimes the case), they would be distant and unreachable, even resented, if you will. Either way, they would fail to meet the standards. The Oasis members in the veteran/artisan/architect ranks may be helpful but they lack having been noted, selected, and trained for a Staff position. There are permissions limited to only Staff for a reason and if a Staff member is unable to utilize all of the tools at their disposal, then they are ineffective. That's why they need training. I agree that the Oasis members in the above-listed ranks are in a better position than most to take the next open positions on Staff. However; if they really were the best and most capable choices, they most likely would already be in those positions, no? Regardless of their eligibility, you cannot turn them into competent, effective Staff just by changing their ranks/permissions in the event of an emergency, as stated by the Truth in reference.


Nova042 wrote:
... Remember that Staff are players as well.... If I ever become staff again, I certainly do not plan to quit building.

Very important point and, as you have experience in that position, you understand, to an extent, the disposition of current Staff; especially in times where Staff are limited/minimal. It is often much harder said than done to continue whimsically enjoying one's self when there is work to be done. "With great power comes great responsibility," said Spiderman's uncle (though I think that's from somewhere else). Just ask Dixi.

Roboterlein
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 157
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 25
Location : EasternNorthCentralMidwestUSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Nova042 on 5/28/2012, 2:16 am

Roboterlein wrote:
Unfortunately, I disagree with your disagreement. The Oasis veteran/artisan/architect ranks are awarded for reasons other than why we elect Staff. Each has its own description and prerequisits. While each rank may consist of 'quality, friendly, helpful people,' they do not '[do] most of what a [S]taff member already does.' While it is the responsibility of Staff to be helpful (i.e. offering advice, keeping players informed, etc), it is their job to maintain the orderly, creative, and fun nature of the server. If they were helpful, but not governing, the server would fall apart. If they were governing, but not helpful (which is sometimes the case), they would be distant and unreachable, even resented, if you will. Either way, they would fail to meet the standards. The Oasis members in the veteran/artisan/architect ranks may be helpful but they lack having been noted, selected, and trained for a Staff position. There are permissions limited to only Staff for a reason and if a Staff member is unable to utilize all of the tools at their disposal, then they are ineffective. That's why they need training. I agree that the Oasis members in the above-listed ranks are in a better position than most to take the next open positions on Staff.

OK, I have been drinking a lot tonight, so my thoughts might not be 100% coherent.

Of course vet, architect and artisan were elected for different reasons.; My point was that they are 8 steps closer to being staff that any member would be. No they don't have every single qualification that a staff member would have. But did you when you were elected staff? Did I? did King and Final? Fuck no. There is always some learning along the way. My point was that they have spent enough time on the server to be far enough that little training is necessary. It is far easier to turn one of them into staff then a bunch of grey named members. I'm currently applying for jobs. I have no idea how to do the job s I am applying for, but I have enough experience to get me started, and reduce the amount of training require to get me up and running.

Roboterlein wrote:
However; if they really were the best and most capable choices, they most likely would already be in those positions, no?

No, because not everyone thinks to apply for staff. Or in the case of the current situation, the current staff feel they don't need anymore. Which I think is total BULL SHIT, since half of them I never see (including you, I just saw you sign on for the first time the other day).

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound like an ass. I love everyone on this server and I only want to see the best for it. I just get angry about certain things....

CHAOSTHEORY I LOVE YOU!

(Thank god for spell check of this post would be illegible)

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 694
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 32
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by lordgonk on 5/28/2012, 11:01 am

You can't blame Robo at all for being inactive Nova. He was away with the army for a bunch of months.

I'd also like to add, I normally agree with not rushing people into staff positions in times of emergency. But this is a different time. We have a number of very capable vets, architects, a retired, and even an artisan that could become Guides at any time with only their required training. I feel like those possible Guide candidates could take in that training fairly easily especially as two i believe have been staff on Oasis in the past. I'd be happy if they were all given Guide because I have that kind of trust in each and every one of them. There is no pain in making them Guides, please tell me one way how it could be regretted. They don't even have WE for god's sake. The worst thing they could do is do /ban all or something.

lordgonk
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 678
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 18
Location : Collegeville Pa (Right near Valley Forge)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by InvertPanda on 5/28/2012, 11:13 am

lordgonk wrote: The worst thing they could do is do /ban all or something.

Given that's not a command, it's fine. But yeah, banning everyone isn't a big deal. No worries.

InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

Posts : 836
Join date : 2010-11-19
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 5/28/2012, 11:33 am

Nova042 wrote:
CHAOSTHEORY I LOVE YOU!

Lol.
<3

ChaosTheoryJRH
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1542
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 24
Location : Conway, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by mickdude2 on 5/28/2012, 11:49 am

Roboterlein wrote:

Most Staff Operations require non-Staff assistance.

  • Staff are not superhuman, latchkey entities in human evolution, nor droning, calculative machines. They, too, are players and members of our community. They require the assistance of all non-Staff members in the form of compliance, conscious effort, and symbiotic relationships. Everyone must work together to make this an Oasis.

This I agree with completely. Staff cannot grief-sweep the entire map, so non-staff have to report those griefs to staff. And it's one of those rulers-rule-by-consent-of-ruled type things. The only reason the staff are staff is because the community likes them and respects them as the best of what they do. good points, Robo.

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1951
Join date : 2011-12-10
Age : 19
Location : U.S.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Community Truths

Post by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 2:58 pm

Nova's Thoughts:
Nova042 wrote:
Roboterlein wrote:
Humans are more important than Hardware.

  • It doesn't matter how awesome your computer is, what plugins you're running, or how smoothly your server runs; without players, there is no community.

Agreed. Thank you.

Roboterlein wrote:Quality is better than Quantity.

  • An endless desert is neat for a short while, but without variance, there is nothing interesting. We all like to use glass blocks, but if that's all there were on a server, it'd get boring pretty quickly. Without creative, ambitious, quality players, a community is nothing but another group of pixels on a screen, with nothing to add but memory to load.

I would also agree with you on this in some respects. If you have a company, and your employees require training in order to do their job well, you don't want to have them coming and going all the time. From a patron point of view, this is not always true. Sometimes you want mass guests rather than only a few loyal customers (look at Wal-Mart for example). However is there any reason why we can't have both? If you have a great server, the quantity will come and the quality will stay.

Roboterlein wrote:Effective Staff cannot be mass produced.

  • Staff must be familiar to and empathetic with the community they're governing. Without careful selection, promoting, and training, any staff put in place will be inefficient and unable to properly keep our community positive, safe, and forward-moving.

Gunna say I agree with this as well. You never want to rush and just pick anyone for staff. I also just want to re-emphasize the point that, "Staff must be empathetic with the community they're governing". Don't forget that these guests are PEOPLE and should be treated as such. Just because someone is swearing and griefing, does not mean you should disrespect them as well. I worked for a year at my local college as a glorified security guard. I wrote ~30-50 parking tickets each day. Now the cost of a parking ticket was like $30, but none the less people were outraged about getting one. I also had to work the front counter where people came in to complain. Even if I had not written a single ticket that day, but another staff did, that person came up to the counter and screamed at me. It wasn't my fault, but it was my job to assist them calmly and respectfully even though I was being called names and told I was a despicable person for doing my job.


However:

Roboterlein wrote:Competent Staff cannot be created after emergencies occur.

  • Example Emergency: Staff leave, quit, and/or retire en masse. Replacement Staff cannot likewise be created en masse to fill such a void. Any such Staff would be ineffective, as the process to elect them skirted the selection, promotion, and training process to create Effective Staff. They would lack the competence, maturity, and ability to act with empathy and familiarity necessary to maintain our community as we know and love it.

With respect to our server, I have to disagree with this. Given that we take into account point #2 (quality is better than quantity), this should mean that the Oasis veteran/artisan/architect selection should already consist of quality, friendly, helpful people right? These people are already doing most of what a staff member already does by helping out guests and other members, offering advise on builds etc, all they need is the badge. Look at right now for example (shameless self plug Smile) I have to say that I, Vampiresfire and Commander all would make excellent guides and staff and could fill the post of missing staff at a moment's notice. If the foundation is in place, building a great new set of staff members is ready to go. I think this point would fit better if oasis ranking worked as a, "1 or 10 only" system where in order to become a 10 staff you have to be trained on point 2-9. Instead Oasis works as a tier system consisting of people currently sitting in all ranks of 1-10. So people in the 8-9 rank can move up to 10 relatively quickly.


Roboterlein wrote:Most Staff Operations require non-Staff assistance.

  • Staff are not superhuman, latchkey entities in human evolution, nor droning, calculative machines. They, too, are players and members of our community. They require the assistance of all non-Staff members in the form of compliance, conscious effort, and symbiotic relationships. Everyone must work together to make this an Oasis.

This is a very important point. Remember that Staff are players as well. They are also on this server to have fun. If I ever become staff again, I certainly do not plan to quit building. If you work with them and try to follow the rules to the best of your ability, it makes their job a lot easier and more fun.


This is why we love you.


Last edited by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I broked it.)

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum