[ 32 ]
26% 26% 
[ 12 ]
6% 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 47

More staff

Post by miyham on 5/27/2012, 8:39 am

I say yes more staff. There is too much time when no 1 with authority is on. This server is too good to let griefers run amuck.

:Miyham

miyham
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VOTE- Should Oasis have more staff?

Post by Krazo on 5/27/2012, 11:29 am

Meh it's enough right now. They are not always active but they are here. And the idea of veterans getting LB is, imo, a good idea.

Krazo
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/27/2012, 1:26 pm

Adirem wrote:i say 'NO'
14 staff members? really guys?

Please, explain to us the negatives of promoting additional staff members to fill in the time gaps then.

Last edited by Nova042 on 5/27/2012, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 5/27/2012, 1:52 pm

Davidmich wrote:Logblock ID tool for Vets is a fine idea, however banhammer & rollback should NOT be used by anyone, other than staff.

Pretty much this. I think a few more staff to replace those that have retired isn't a bad idea, but a lot of the responsibility of finding griefs should be passed on to responsible non-staff. I think the staff's job should be more focused on settling major disputes, exposing major rule breaking, banning people, and generally running the server, than having to spend the majority of their time dealing with griefers.

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 5/27/2012, 3:12 pm

What's a "staff" ?

ChaosTheoryJRH
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatiMuts on 5/27/2012, 3:14 pm

ChaosTheoryJRH wrote:What's a "staff" ?

a guide, mod, admin or owner; like u

MatiMuts
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertPanda on 5/27/2012, 3:35 pm

I'm pretty sure he knows what a staff member is.

InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatiMuts on 5/27/2012, 5:06 pm

InvertPanda wrote:I'm pretty sure he knows what a staff member is.

Yeah.. me to invert;p but he asked so :)

MatiMuts
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vampiresfire on 5/28/2012, 10:58 am

14 staff members? really guys? why do we still have those massive time gaps where there is no staff online? or does everyone live in the same timezone? this should be the main priority imo. try to find people that are willing to look after the server during those times. what is the use of having 14 staff members if there are just as many griefs happening when none of the staff are online?

Its a timezone thing staff have their standard login times and while you might be able to get some staff to change their login times for a little bit the reality is they have their times they way the are because that is when they are able to login. It is silly to think people who live on the east coast or in Europe are going to be able to cover west coasts night time hours in America for any period of time given they need to sleep.

Really what is the fear of promoting new guides? The main people who are running have proven themselves to be trustworthy as evinced by the amount of regular members and staff members who vouched for them. Guide is only a test staff rank and as a college educated person i think its silly to prevent people from even taking this test based on whatever secret fear the staff have.

Also i want to address this experience/ability argument some have made because its absurd.

1. we are not talking about promoting some new guest to guide we are talking about promoting one or more of the main guide candidates who have the requisite vouches already.

2. The rules are very clear and some of the canadites have even written/improved the rules whcih they would be enforcing.

3. The command lines guides use are very simple as are the tools

4. Even assuming a new guide is not as adept as an older guide the new guide will be far more effective than having no staff online at all as is often the current problem.

vampiresfire
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 5/28/2012, 12:51 pm

vampiresfire wrote:
14 staff members? really guys? why do we still have those massive time gaps where there is no staff online? or does everyone live in the same timezone? this should be the main priority imo. try to find people that are willing to look after the server during those times. what is the use of having 14 staff members if there are just as many griefs happening when none of the staff are online?

Its a timezone thing staff have their standard login times and while you might be able to get some staff to change their login times for a little bit the reality is they have their times they way the are because that is when they are able to login. It is silly to think people who live on the east coast or in Europe are going to be able to cover west coasts night time hours in America for any period of time given they need to sleep.

Really what is the fear of promoting new guides? The main people who are running have proven themselves to be trustworthy as evinced by the amount of regular members and staff members who vouched for them. Guide is only a test staff rank and as a college educated person i think its silly to prevent people from even taking this test based on whatever secret fear the staff have.

Also i want to address this experience/ability argument some have made because its absurd.

1. we are not talking about promoting some new guest to guide we are talking about promoting one or more of the main guide candidates who have the requisite vouches already.

2. The rules are very clear and some of the canadites have even written/improved the rules whcih they would be enforcing.

3. The command lines guides use are very simple as are the tools

4. Even assuming a new guide is not as adept as an older guide the new guide will be far more effective than having no staff online at all as is often the current problem.

yes^. There is no point not to have more staff. the more the merrier, right? so why not have 16, 17, 18 staff members so that at least one is one more often. But it should not be based on time zones at all. If you're time zone suffers from 'stafflessness' then learn how to fight griefers on your own while staff is sleeping (i.e. screenshots). Remember, staff is not a machine, they are people too who need sleep and sustenance!

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 3:00 pm

mickdude2 wrote:the more the merrier, right?

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrShatang on 5/28/2012, 4:05 pm

One thing that relates to real life.
You will be more succesful in a business if you have more people to get things done then to have a few people who are barely sustaining the business( I am not saying we are barely sustaining oasis). I am just saying that if we have more staff then we will get more things done and things done faster.

MrShatang
Banned
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 6:40 pm

I find it funny how much support is actually for this for the non-staff members.

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle on 5/28/2012, 6:59 pm

Kevo235 wrote:I find it funny how much support is actually for this for the non-staff members.
Duh, like 60% who actually voted and posted in this topic would like to become guide...

Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://nigge.rs/id/loadsamoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 7:00 pm

Leagle wrote:
Kevo235 wrote:I find it funny how much support is actually for this for the non-staff members.
Duh, like 60% who actually voted and posted in this topic would like to become guide...

Most people do want to become Guide at some points. Also, that's like 20 people. I don't even think there's that many people with applications bumped this month. Anyways, they want to be Guide to help. I don't see a reason why we don't need more help.

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle on 5/28/2012, 7:06 pm

Kevo235 wrote:I don't see a reason why we don't need more help.
I'm not going to discuss this here in this topic, and you know it.

Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://nigge.rs/id/loadsamoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Heisenberg on 5/28/2012, 7:08 pm

If you guys decide we don't need staff, you really need to fix the offline ban bug for mods and guides.

Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 7:33 pm

"The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win."
Karl Marx.

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AfRoMaTiC480 on 5/28/2012, 8:38 pm

no, im fairly new to the server and have found all mods and admins already on very supporting

AfRoMaTiC480
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile http://youtube.com/AfRoMaTiC480

Back to top Go down

Post by Keshaluver on 5/28/2012, 9:36 pm

I Voted. And I feel that we do need staff on at all times. A reason was a couple times, I would log on in the morning when everyone is not on. Well at least by me. There are people spamming. They don't stop even if they are told too.I'm NOT saying the staff we have now is bad there the hardest working people I know on minecraft. Just sating some stuff that would or can be brought up about the final decision

Keshaluver
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrSwish33 on 5/28/2012, 10:05 pm

I don't think more staff are needed. With more powerful positions available comes more power possibly abused. All I'm saying'.

MrSwish33
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 5/28/2012, 10:43 pm

MrSwish33 wrote:I don't think more staff are needed. With more powerful positions available comes more power possibly abused. All I'm saying'.
Problem: Abuse
Solution: Demotion

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BroadStreetBully on 5/28/2012, 10:46 pm

Kevo235 wrote:
MrSwish33 wrote:I don't think more staff are needed. With more powerful positions available comes more power possibly abused. All I'm saying'.
Problem: Abuse
Solution: Demotion

Lets prevent that in the first place.

BroadStreetBully
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 5/29/2012, 4:11 pm

The staff can only be helpful if their online. As it stands, there are large chunks of time where no one is online, and that is when it seems like the most griefs/spams occur. There are a couple solutions:

WARNING: CONTAINS IDEAS THOUGHT OF BY MICK

[rand]Solution 1: We give more power to more people. I'm not saying let the guests /kick or /ban, but let maybe Trusted+ and up have access to NoCheat or LB, so that way when someone says 'The Admin only banned me cuz he hates me' we can respond to say 'We have three other people who are not staff who saw you grief/spam/use mods'. This is also a way to promote a feeling of being important in the community.

Solution 2: We promote an abundance of staff in the hopes that a larger percentage of staff will catch the griefs. This may mean a sacrifice in quality, which would have to be made up for in quantity. Basically, we get as many average staff as we can to counteract grief, instead of small number of quality staff.

Solution 3: We institute a training program where each member of staff trains one person to take over for them. The staff would meet and decide who is and isn't ready for staff. This would make the staff number remain constant and ensure all future staff are well trained and well equipped to handle the challenges being leaders of the community entails.( laugh all you want, but I got this idea from Star Wars and the Jedi Council)

Solution 4: We install an omnipotent,omniscient, omnipresent program that watches every player at all time and immediately /bans griefers/spammers/modders. Upside: a sparkling utopia free from crime. Downside: the possibility that the program turns against us, enslaving our minds and eventually taking over the world. But that's a small possibility, right? Right?...

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertPanda on 5/29/2012, 4:20 pm

We give more power to more people. I'm not saying let the guests /kick or /ban, but let maybe Trusted+ and up have access to NoCheat or LB, so that way when someone says 'The Admin only banned me cuz he hates me' we can respond to say 'We have three other people who are not staff who saw you grief/spam/use mods'. This is also a way to promote a feeling of being important in the community.

No. This is why we have staff in the first place. T+ is a player rank, not to be burdened with staff duties.

We promote an abundance of staff in the hopes that a larger percentage of staff will catch the griefs. This may mean a sacrifice in quality, which would have to be made up for in quantity. Basically, we get as many average staff as we can to counteract grief, instead of small number of quality staff.

Having a low quality staff member would prove to be more hassle than what it is a help. We've had bad staff members, and it doesn't go well. It just doesn't work that way.

We institute a training program where each member of staff trains one person to take over for them. The staff would meet and decide who is and isn't ready for staff. This would make the staff number remain constant and ensure all future staff are well trained and well equipped to handle the challenges being leaders of the community entails.( laugh all you want, but I got this idea from Star Wars and the Jedi Council)

Out of the three, this is probably the most plausible, but still no. This is basically what the guide rank is. It's a trial/test for potential staff members, where the receive a non-formal training of sorts from the rest of the staff on top of their responsibilities. Baptism by fire.

We install an omnipotent,omniscient, omnipresent program that watches every player at all time and immediately /bans griefers/spammers/modders. Upside: a sparkling utopia free from crime. Downside: the possibility that the program turns against us, enslaving our minds and eventually taking over the world. But that's a small possibility, right? Right?...

You uh, you get back to me when you've come up with something that can do that for us.

InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top