[OPEN]IMPORTANT! New method of Phishing, and why Oasis was down for a while earlier today.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN]IMPORTANT! New method of Phishing, and why Oasis was down for a while earlier today.

Post by Ariley on 5/13/2012, 7:23 pm

I feel it's necessary to copy/paste a bit of the post I made on the staff board, so that you are all aware of what happened, and that you know that this is a threat of having your account stolen.

Holy shit guys, I got it. This is going to be a long read, but YOU NEED TO READ IT. It's unbelievable what happened.

Player named snorsken logged on on May 6th. FinalWorld was, I think, the only staff member who was on. Now when FinalWorld had logged on before snorsken first joined, he logged on with an IP starting in 24, connected to a location in Illinois, where I know FinalWorld lives. Remember that. Snorsken then said some other server had stolen our spawn and were bagging on it. FinalWorld was given the IP of the server, logged off, went to check it out. The IP snorsken gave Final was the IP snorsken had just logged in with, one starting in 69.

Somehow, snorsken used that to phish Final's account and get his password, because almost immediately after Final left to go on the "server" snorsken had mentioned, a "FinalWorld" logged in under the same IP snorsken was using, one starting in 69. Seeing as Final is an admin, snorsken then used Final's account to op himself (snorsken) and another account he has, called "javahut." He also gave himself ban exemptions and a few various other things that I've taken care of.

Everything that has to do with snorsken after that leaves every staff member innocent. He had access to FinalWorld's account, which proves Final innocent, as far as I can tell in the logs. He, at one point, nicknamed himself WesleyMD, and was parading around as Wes, but Wes hasn't been on in 5 days.

BAM. Everyone is innocent, and we just learned about a new method of account Phishing through our dear friend FinalWorld. Imo, case closed.

Last edited by Ariley92 on 5/13/2012, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: [OPEN]IMPORTANT! New method of Phishing, and why Oasis was down for a while earlier today.

Post by Ariley on 5/13/2012, 8:08 pm

Moved to discussion, so that you can post questions and comments you may have. I'll try and follow this thread for a bit.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: [OPEN]IMPORTANT! New method of Phishing, and why Oasis was down for a while earlier today.

Post by pyropanda5 on 5/13/2012, 8:14 pm

I thought the staff was bull shitting us....At first atleast.

pyropanda5
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zwall99 on 5/13/2012, 8:28 pm

I thought Snor was wes the whole time. When I was on, he deop'd broad to default for "Admin Abuse". I had a funny feeling of this player from the first time I saw him.

Zwall99
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keshaluver on 5/13/2012, 8:50 pm

Oh My, when was he in last i just talk to him!

Keshaluver
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lordgonk on 5/13/2012, 9:53 pm

wow, i actually kinda trusted that guy. It's kinda funny because in the last week he was nicknamed into other names, wonder if he did that himself or it's just ironic he was the victim of that and ends up being a hacker. Also, I'm confused in the whole IP thing, he gave Final a player IP that was mistaken as a server IP?

lordgonk
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InitialBN on 5/13/2012, 11:01 pm

lordgonk wrote:wow, i actually kinda trusted that guy. It's kinda funny because in the last week he was nicknamed into other names, wonder if he did that himself or it's just ironic he was the victim of that and ends up being a hacker. Also, I'm confused in the whole IP thing, he gave Final a player IP that was mistaken as a server IP?

You can't handle the truth.

InitialBN
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/13/2012, 11:02 pm

Ariley92 wrote:Snorsken then said some other server had stolen our spawn and were bagging on it. FinalWorld was given the IP of the server, logged off, went to check it out.

And this is why we don't allow advertising of other servers in chat....

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 5/13/2012, 11:52 pm

Nova042 wrote:
Ariley92 wrote:Snorsken then said some other server had stolen our spawn and were bagging on it. FinalWorld was given the IP of the server, logged off, went to check it out.

Our thoughts exactly.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 5/14/2012, 9:16 pm

Zwall99 wrote:I thought Snor was wes the whole time. When I was on, he deop'd broad to default for "Admin Abuse". I had a funny feeling of this player from the first time I saw him.

I get those funny feelings all the time. Sometimes there right, sometimes there wrong. I bet I would have gotten a funny feeling about this guy too

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FinalWorld on 5/14/2012, 9:46 pm

madscientist032 wrote:
Nova042 wrote:

Our thoughts exactly.

To be completely honest, I had no idea that this would happen. He gave me a random IP that I didn't know, and he said they were slandering my server. I didn't see any harm in checking it out. I mean, what was he going to do? Use my IP to do stuff to make himself OP? psh as if. So, I go to investigate, and this happens. I had no idea that he was going to do all that our that any of this was even possible.

FinalWorld
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile http://www.QLBACON.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by rkawesome on 5/14/2012, 10:06 pm

I hope Final has changed his password by now.

idk, i just don't like hacked clients it's fine to barrow a friends account but stealing accounts is a dick move

rkawesome
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BroadStreetBully on 5/14/2012, 10:50 pm

FinalWorld wrote: I had no idea that he was going to do all that or that any of this was even possible.

My thoughts exactly.

BroadStreetBully
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slowclayman8 on 5/14/2012, 11:09 pm

For people, Snorken made Server with finals ip>Told final the ip to go look at it (Ip was final) he did that to get him off the server>Then changed his ip to finals>Oped himself>Banned final. this is what I think happend

slowclayman8
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FinalWorld on 5/14/2012, 11:26 pm

slowclayman8 wrote:For people, Snorken made Server with finals ip>Told final the ip to go look at it (Ip was final) he did that to get him off the server>Then changed his ip to finals>Oped himself>Banned final. this is what I think happend

Look, if you're not going to read the post, don't post. It's as simple as that. Plus, that's not even what happened.

FinalWorld
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile http://www.QLBACON.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 5/15/2012, 3:24 pm

FinalWorld wrote:
slowclayman8 wrote:For people, Snorken made Server with finals ip>Told final the ip to go look at it (Ip was final) he did that to get him off the server>Then changed his ip to finals>Oped himself>Banned final. this is what I think happend

Look, if you're not going to read the post, don't post. It's as simple as that. Plus, that's not even what happened.

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lordgonk on 5/15/2012, 11:04 pm

Edited Version!!!

slowclayman8 wrote:Snorken made Server with finals ip>Told final the ip to go look at it (Ip was final) he did that to get him off the server>Then changed his ip to finals>Oped himself>Banned final.

Now, is that what happened?

lordgonk
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top