Plugin Solution

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plugin Solution

Post by vampiresfire on 4/18/2012, 1:48 am

Oasis has an excellent staff team but certain things such as plugins are complex and even potentially harmful to the server if done incorrectly. This is why i propose we establish a second server to provide a safe learning environment for staff to learn these types of skills. Furthermore i suggest knowledgeable members of the community compile the various learning tools they have used to become proficient in these areas. It is entirely unreasonable to expect staff to suddenly understand all of these additional things which are unrelated to the base game without any prior experience.

http://wiki.bukkit.org/Installing_Plugins is one thing i found that might be one of the learning tools i mentioned earlier.

Thanks for your time,
Vampiresfire

vampiresfire
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Plugin Solution

Post by Croky1 on 4/18/2012, 2:36 am

vampiresfire wrote:Oasis has an excellent staff team but certain things such as plugins are complex and even potentially harmful to the server if done incorrectly. This is why i propose we establish a second server to provide a safe learning environment for staff to learn these types of skills. Furthermore i suggest knowledgeable members of the community compile the various learning tools they have used to become proficient in these areas. It is entirely unreasonable to expect staff to suddenly understand all of these additional things which are unrelated to the base game without any prior experience.

I guess vamps is right here, alothoug that wouldn't be up to the staff, it would be up to Ariley to think it through.

And whats more, if he has installed a plugin correctly for (lets say) 1.2.3 and then needs to install it for 1.2.5 I dont think he would make such a mistake.

But, it might be worth having.

Croky1
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle on 4/18/2012, 6:02 am

vampiresfire wrote:Oasis has an excellent staff team but certain things such as plugins are complex and even potentially harmful to the server if done incorrectly. This is why i propose we establish a second server to provide a safe learning environment for staff to learn these types of skills.
There is no need for such a thing.

We have our own way's when it comes to training staff.
And so far we never had "harmfull to the server" accidents.

It's good that you prepose these things, but keep in mind.
Just if we say it might be a good idea, then that does not mean we will do it or use it.

Even so, our staff members are smart enough not to try something stupid and try it on their own.
Plus, i'm happy to say that our staff alway's do a little research before doing something they have no idea of what it does.

Oh and remember, Accidents happen.

Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://nigge.rs/id/loadsamoney

Back to top Go down

@leagle

Post by vampiresfire on 4/18/2012, 4:38 pm

it just seems as if we require additional people who can do plugins

vampiresfire
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertPanda on 4/18/2012, 5:44 pm

If you wanna go ahead and provide server hosting and funding for such an endeavor, I'd swing by to learn. Otherwise, we're taking baby steps here on Oasis as to not fuck up an already well established server.

InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JesusAsaurusR3X on 4/18/2012, 6:54 pm

I don't see why a second server would be necessary. It'll just be a waste of money in the end.

I know the staff work hard on maintaining the server and installing plugins and such. One idea I just thought of though would be to set up a section on the forums in which people who are quite familiar with bukkit and installing plugins can help the staff whenever they need help installing something. Or something like that. I know staff don't usually need help installing plugins but hey, you never know, might work out to be useful. :P

JesusAsaurusR3X
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 4/21/2012, 11:21 am

Panda, your jessica alba signature was way hotter.

And the staff are trained by the other staff. Non-staff players will never have access to plugins/console, and players will never be promoted purely because they can do these things. The staff know their shit bro.

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top