"You have reached the border. Please stare at all this wonderful landscape you'll never have."

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"You have reached the border. Please stare at all this wonderful landscape you'll never have."

Post by Heisenberg on 11/5/2011, 7:19 pm

Oasis is a popular server, easily the largest one I've been on. As this is a large server, there's obviously a large number of creations. Im not really here to rant, more to ask. Why do we have a border? I'm sure there's some technical lag related reason or some legit reason why it's there, but I just want to know it. I spent most of Friday searching for some awesome landscapes to build on, and found almost every good landscape has a building somewhere on the horizon. I finally found an awesome mountain range with little lakes and coves, only to find a huge town on the other side. I'm sure there is still space left to build, and I'm just not looking hard enough, but I would like to know why such a large server is restricted to a certain space.

I'm not really ranting about the border (Although I could rant about how most of the buildings I mentioned are uncreative boxes built by inactive/banned members...), I was merely curious as to it's purpose.

Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "You have reached the border. Please stare at all this wonderful landscape you'll never have."

Post by BroadStreetBully on 11/5/2011, 7:46 pm

If we didn't have borders, people like Kevo would just annihilate the server with lag. The borders are to prevent new chunks from being loaded and lagging the server even more. We have quite a few people on the server that would push these borders very far, so borders are a must.

There is a lot of open space. Walk BEHIND spawn, because most people go straight and build as soon as possible.

BroadStreetBully
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "You have reached the border. Please stare at all this wonderful landscape you'll never have."

Post by Adirem on 11/6/2011, 10:39 pm

i would love to have more space on the server. as i recall the server is 4k x 4k where 1 block represents one cubic meter. the game itself can generate a world that is 3 times the size of the earth (if i remember correctly, i read this somewhere, but do not take it as a sure fact). with this size, people would run across the whole world, building their buildings. and as Broad already said, this would cause huge lag on the server.

we'll keep the borders for now. but i remember two maps ago, that the border was taken away / expanded. if we're lucky we can have some more space to play with in the future.

but for now, try to work with the space we have. with the cramped space, i'm sure you'll come up with some creative solutions for this problem.

maybe a good idea: build an underwater project. i flew over some virgin parts of the seas where there's a big flat sea bottom. i'll be looking for a place to build something down there for myself in the distant future ;)

Adirem
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariley on 11/6/2011, 11:50 pm

As these wonderful dudes have already mentioned, we have a border to prevent "chunkload griefing," that being people (or teams) who simply run around, expanding the map, causing the server to spend most of it's memory creating new chunks, rather than spending it on letting you edit the currently existing landscape.

We are a popular server, though, and as such, we might expand the borders. Thanks for bringing this up, we'll keep our attention on it.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adirem on 11/7/2011, 12:00 am

Taccy also raises another point. the ugly buildings of banned / retired players.
will those be taken care of?

Adirem
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariley on 11/7/2011, 12:04 am

Adirem wrote:Taccy also raises another point. the ugly buildings of banned / retired players.
will those be taken care of?

It's an issue... personally, I've always been opposed to the idea of deleting anyone's creations, as long as they follow the rules. I like the idea of a server where you can play, build something, take a month off, then come back, and your shit will still be there.

But... space is an issue. Again, thanks to you guys for bringing it up. It does need to be addressed.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top