Kingdoms Project Update (SMP2)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kingdoms Project Update (SMP2)

Post by mefabe on 7/31/2016, 8:47 pm

Many players have shown interest in the idea at /warp kingdoms
If you have not seen it, the basic run down is that once the smp2 map comes out, players will either team up or go off on their own and build their own kingdom, or just a castle if they want. Something of the medieval nature. These kingdoms will be split up between 5 realms, (Currently named North, South, East, West, and Sky(for staff) Although feel free to suggest actual names for these realms below) and then each realm will have competitions against each other (Feel free to suggest ideas below).

However some problems have come up to keep things fair, and also to encourage competition. So this is a thread where you are welcome to post your opinion about how to expand upon this idea.

The first issue is keeping things fair. As you know, some people have access to spawned items and creative mode, while others do not. This will offer some players an advantage over others. So an option is making this a survival only project. In my personal opinion, I think survival gameplay should be encouraged in some way, but not required. An idea is maybe have those playing in creative/with spawned items not be eligible for some events/competitions that they will have an unfair advantage in. Please post your thoughts below.

The second problem is to encourage competition between the realms. A few i've thought of are:

-Have this as an ongoing Build Off where every week or so, some judges will rate the progress of each kingdom.
-Have races, or challenges between realms. For example one challenge can be which realm can produce the most of one crop in a week, and whichever realm wins gets to take home all the crops produced that week as a bid. 
-Do a type of sky-block progress list, just kingdoms themed. For example, make a castle, have a wheat farm, build a marketplace, create a sort of army depending on your kingdoms theme, etc. And maybe there would be a reward for completing these challenges.

These events obviously will have to be fair, so that is why I'm asking the players, what do you want? Do you want survival only, with only spawned tools maybe? Do you want to encourage but not require survival, and those playing in gmc or with spawned items not be eligible for some of the events? Please give me your opinions down below on any issue addressed in this thread, or any other suggestions you would like to see, especially if you are planning to participate in this project.

mefabe
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kingdoms Project Update (SMP2)

Post by Nsane99 on 7/31/2016, 8:59 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea! And it seems fair that those with advantages such as item spawning be disqualified for some events. But perhaps those people could also just be told not to use their perks in the challenges so they can participate in all of the events. But whatever choices are made on the matter, this sounds like a lot of fun! I'm up for it :D

Nsane99
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 7/31/2016, 10:12 pm

The idea of a survival world focused on teamwork and 'kingdoms' is interesting, and I'm down for setting something up for this. However, this most likely won't occur on Smp2, and would need its own world with unique plugins, permissions, etc. Staff will discuss this idea thoroughly, and we will let you know if this is something we are interested in developing. If we decide not to support the idea, you guys can still run it on your own through various parties and using the forums for events.

Until we make a decision it would be nice to see how many people would be interested in this idea.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyunyoung on 8/1/2016, 11:51 am

^ Well I know for certain I'm extremely hype about the project. You can also check the signs posted at /warp kingdoms to see what players already support the project. It would be nice to have staff support to give the project its own map and plugins and such, but Osga, would this not add more to the wait time? Since we've been told 1.10 is coming out Soon™ and I assume you'd not be about to get this out on the same week, let alone the same day... Just let us know your thoughts on that if you would :)

Hyunyoung
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 8/1/2016, 2:07 pm

Hyunyoung wrote:^ Well I know for certain I'm extremely hype about the project. You can also check the signs posted at /warp kingdoms to see what players already support the project. It would be nice to have staff support to give the project its own map and plugins and such, but Osga, would this not add more to the wait time? Since we've been told 1.10 is coming out Soon™ and I assume you'd not be about to get this out on the same week, let alone the same day... Just let us know your thoughts on that if you would :)

It honestly depends on how long you guys are willing to wait. I currently have a lot of projects, and so do a lot of the other staff. I think this would be pretty hard to do on the smp2 server if you are concerned about spawning in materials and cheating. We also wouldn't be able to have special plugins on the smp2 server because it is a smp server before it is a towny/factions server. However, it wouldn't be that hard to set this up. Generate a new world, have a towny/factions plugin that assigns roles and teams, and then let you guys free in the world.

Edit: I also need more details on exactly what you guys are looking for in terms of plugins and perks.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mefabe on 8/3/2016, 2:40 pm

OsgaTharp wrote:
It honestly depends on how long you guys are willing to wait. I currently have a lot of projects, and so do a lot of the other staff. I think this would be pretty hard to do on the smp2 server if you are concerned about spawning in materials and cheating. We also wouldn't be able to have special plugins on the smp2 server because it is a smp server before it is a towny/factions server. However, it wouldn't be that hard to set this up. Generate a new world, have a towny/factions plugin that assigns roles and teams, and then let you guys free in the world.

Edit: I also need more details on exactly what you guys are looking for in terms of plugins and perks.
I think the idea of adding towny or factions would be great. I'm personally willing to wait a longer time if this can potentially have its own map. Im thinking it would be cool to implement some sort of pvp, whether it be outside of the towny regions or whatnot. Maybe with that, a form of currency to make the economy a bigger aspect, like emeralds, since they are rare and dont have many uses, but there are multiple ways of getting them, whether it be villagers or mining. Or a jobs plugin would work just fine too, and have virtual money like we already are used to.
As for right now I can't think of anything on the top of my mind. I'll keep you updated though.

mefabe
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyunyoung on 8/3/2016, 3:08 pm

I'd heavily prefer factions. It's an easier system to run and understand and I feel works much better in this case. Towny is just more... complicated.

Hyunyoung
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentSubscriber on 8/3/2016, 3:51 pm

[Current name]:Proposed name(Map Design)
North: The Great Frozen North (Ice spikes, spruce, very snowy)
South: Marina Marsh (Swamp/island, small outposts)
East: The Highest Rule (Formal with cities and streets)
West: The Western World (Rough and untamed)
Sky: The Land Above (Staff aka Wild Random. Think Cloud Cuckoo Land but with an Oasis Feel)
Spawn: The Oasis (Spawn. a mix of everything)

Well Those are my ideas! If anyone has better names, please put them here, cause they can be improved!

-Silent

SilentSubscriber
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCajwveudwmWWcs3b3ItnTnw

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 8/16/2016, 7:14 pm

Bumping this. I'd like a full run down of everything you guys want, and it needs to be unanimous decision from those who are interested in this. I've checked out the warp, and there are clearly quite a bit of people. This discussion should have more voices. The sooner you guys can get a finalized plan, the sooner this can get done. If you'd like to talk to me directly about ideas then you can add 'Goretast' on skype and message me with your ingame name.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentSubscriber on 8/16/2016, 7:31 pm

Got it! How about you make a group skype with any who give their names so info can be passed back and forth ;D
(I think its like factions, except killing is not the primary goal. Think Mianite if anyone remembers it #MianiteS3

-Silent

SilentSubscriber
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCajwveudwmWWcs3b3ItnTnw

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top