VETERAN RANK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VETERAN RANK

Post by Revilo410 on 4/30/2016, 2:41 pm

Hello everyone! If you were around at the promotions ceremony earlier today then you will have seen our announcement of the new rank... VETERAN! But wait, I hear you say, why did we get rid of veteran, and now suddenly bring it back?!

Well let me explain myself, I personally was a Veteran (Now Oasian) for a very long time, and looking back at it I probably got the rank too early, 4 months in my eyes no longer makes you a veteran of the server :3 When Oasis was first created, 4 months seemed like a long time, but times change and we all felt like the 'Veteran' rank didn't quite describe the players who were getting it. I mean, don't get me wrong, everyone who gets it is an amazing member of the community, hence why it is hard to get with the player and staff votes, but we felt you were being mis-branded. So it was proposed that we brought in a new rank to honor the most active, longest standing members of the community, who for whatever reason, were not a staff member or Architect already. This is what the new Veteran rank is. As for the new name "Oasian", we feel this describes the players who are truly dedicated to the server, you guys are the pillars of the community and embody what it is to be a member of this server, and hence we feel the rank title shows this.

Hence we have put forward these updated rank descriptions:

Oasian: (formerly known as Veteran)
Rank available by application on the forums. Players must be at least Trusted rank to apply. Oasian is given to those players that are the pillars of the Oasis community and have been around for a while. They are friendly and polite to all, helpful and respected. The community votes on who they think is the best Oasian.
Access to - All Artisan permissions. Spawn in any legal item in the game with the /item command. They can also teleport to and from other players with /tpa and /tpahere. Not only this but they gain access to more kits such as /kit diamondkit for diamond tools!

Veteran:
This is one of the most prestigious ranks available to a non-staff member. These exceptional few players have shown a dedication to the server spreading over at least a year. It is a reward for their long lasting and continued dedication to Oasis SMP. They are the ambassadors of the community and have gained the respect of the staff and players alike. Veteran rank is considered to be on par with the Architect rank.
Access to - All Oasian permissions. They also have access to flying with /fly, invincibility with /god, changing their local time and weather with /ptime and /pweather. They get /craft and /echest to help them with basic tasks as well as a custom colored prefix/name.

I hope you are all as excited as we are with these new ranks!

If you have any questions or comments feel free to post below! :)

::Intro::     Updated For 2015!
::Quotes::  Good, Better, Best. Do not rest until your good is better, and your better best.
::Rank::     Admin [As of December 2015]

Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VETERAN RANK

Post by Shnoork on 4/30/2016, 4:27 pm

I think this reclasification makes alot of sense, its good to see the rank evolve!

I was wondering though, how is the rank going to be given out? Will it be like trusted, given out when its deserved? Or is it just going to be a promos thing?

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 on 4/30/2016, 4:31 pm

Shnoork wrote:I think this reclasification makes alot of sense, its good to see the rank evolve!

I was wondering though, how is the rank going to be given out? Will it be like trusted, given out when its deserved? Or is it just going to be a promos thing?

It will be a promos only rank :)

The rank is going to be very sparingly given out, only to the longest standing members of the community! :3 The true "Veterans" of Oasis SMP :)

Some guidelines we have for giving out the rank are:
- Forum join date of at least a year
- No serious bans or convictions in the last 6 months
- Has been active for around 6 months, i.e. Cant come back from inactivity and get the rank
Etc.

I would only expect around 2-4 of these promotions to ever happen in a year, similar to with Architect :)

::Quotes::  Good, Better, Best. Do not rest until your good is better, and your better best.

Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze on 4/30/2016, 4:49 pm

I was just wondering if those were the only guidelines for the rank, because, like mefabe and XxEpicgirlzxX fit those guidelines in my oppinion and they didn't get it?

BABlaze
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by izumi4kona on 4/30/2016, 4:54 pm

Revilo410 wrote:Veteran rank is considered to be on par with the Architect rank.

This part confuses me a bit -
Can Vets get arch, or Archs get Vet? Or when you hit either one are you unable to obtain the other?
They seem to lack /gmc so I'd assume Vet is a step under? Or are they considered equal?
None of this applies to me, but curious *-*

#RetiredSquadRepresent™

izumi4kona
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 4/30/2016, 5:12 pm

Another question. Seeing as this is a new development, there are alot of players who currently fit the new veteran description, particularly some old veterans (ya boi Thunder comes to mind). What happens to these dames and gents? I would think that the 2-4 yearly vet projection might be unfair to all of them. 

Moving forward though, it does makes sense, in regards to relatively newer players. This set up does do justice to somebody entering into it, just maybe not so much people who have precluded it.

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 4/30/2016, 5:23 pm

^ It seems that the super old players who are still active would be the first recipients of this rank. I don't think there are enough active players currently qualified for Veteran for there to be any sort of bottleneck problem, seeing as the majority of players who would be qualified for Veteran are already Architect or staff.

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 4/30/2016, 5:27 pm

dtfgator wrote:^ It seems that the super old players who are still active would be the first recipients of this rank. I don't think there are enough active players currently qualified for Veteran for there to be any sort of bottleneck problem, seeing as the majority of players who would be qualified for Veteran are already Architect or staff.
You do raise a good point. I must be looking at it from old eyes. I can think of a bunch of people who may be staff that still come to mind as something else. I suppose that bottleneck wouldnt be so bad afterall.

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 4/30/2016, 5:28 pm

If you're looking through it through old eyes, then I'm looking at it through ancient eyes :p look at my forums join date, and then subtract 3 months.

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 on 4/30/2016, 5:30 pm

xXxSkyGodxXx wrote:I was just wondering if those were the only guidelines for the rank, because, like mefabe and XxEpicgirlzxX fit those guidelines in my oppinion and they didn't get it?

Well, its gonna take a lot to get Vet, I wont go into each individual player but the qualities we are looking for in the rank are:

-activity
-friendliness
-helpfulness
-general community involvment

So even if people do fit these, it is a very hard rank to get, we as a staff team need to 100% agree, with a unanimous decision that the person deserves the rank before it gets given out. So its difficult! And even if someone is a great player we dont want to do many promotions to the rank, so it will take a while for people to start getting the rank :3

izumi4kona wrote:
Revilo410 wrote:Veteran rank is considered to be on par with the Architect rank.

This part confuses me a bit -
Can Vets get arch, or Archs get Vet? Or when you hit either one are you unable to obtain the other?
They seem to lack /gmc so I'd assume Vet is a step under? Or are they considered equal?
None of this applies to me, but curious *-*

#RetiredSquadRepresent™

This is something I actually brought up and I'm not yet sure of the answer. Personally, I think that in the situation we had an Architect who turned into a true Veteran of the server, then they could get both ranks (as they have different perks), same for a Veteran who became an amazing builder! The details would need to be worked out but my personal view is that someone could be both :3

They are equal ranks in standing. Architect has GMC and God as its main perks. Veteran doesnt get GMC so to make up for that they have things like setting their personal time and weather, a coloured prefix, etc. We feel they are basically on the same level, the perks are just tailored to different things :)

Shnoork wrote:Another question. Seeing as this is a new development, there are alot of players who currently fit the new veteran description, particularly some old veterans (ya boi Thunder comes to mind). What happens to these dames and gents? I would think that the 2-4 yearly vet projection might be unfair to all of them. 

Moving forward though, it does makes sense, in regards to relatively newer players. This set up does do justice to somebody entering into it, just maybe not so much people who have precluded it.

Well, its a good question. If we take Alvin as the first veteran, he has been on the server longer than I have, that is about 5 or so years :3 I would class him as a true Veteran of the server, he has been active for 90% of that time to my knowledge. So he is a prime example of what we are looking for. My personal view is that lots of people are close to achieving the rank but may not be quite there yet. Lets just say we will take it as it comes, if someone deserves Veteran they will get it :) But like I just said a few paragraphs up, unlike most ranks, for someone to get Veteran rank, we need a unanimous decision amongst the staff, this is the same for Architect. Meaning that a person has to be judged worthy but about 15 different people. That is a hard criteria to meet I'll say!

As this is a new rank, it will take time for us to finalize everything. So please, keep all the questions and suggestions coming! I'll come clean now, the rank was originally my idea, so I will be more than happy to discuss anything about the rank with anyone! :)

Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 on 4/30/2016, 5:32 pm

dtfgator wrote:^ It seems that the super old players who are still active would be the first recipients of this rank. I don't think there are enough active players currently qualified for Veteran for there to be any sort of bottleneck problem, seeing as the majority of players who would be qualified for Veteran are already Architect or staff.

Shnoork wrote:
You do raise a good point. I must be looking at it from old eyes. I can think of a bunch of people who may be staff that still come to mind as something else. I suppose that bottleneck wouldnt be so bad afterall.

dtfgator wrote:If you're looking through it through old eyes, then I'm looking at it through ancient eyes :p look at my forums join date, and then subtract 3 months.

What dtf has said is actually very accurate! "It seems that the super old players who are still active would be the first recipients of this rank. I don't think there are enough active players currently qualified for Veteran for there to be any sort of bottleneck problem, seeing as the majority of players who would be qualified for Veteran are already Architect or staff.", I dont think I could have put that better myself actually lol

Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 4/30/2016, 5:34 pm

I like that you quoted my "ancient" reply, even though it has nothing to do with the topic lol

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 on 4/30/2016, 5:37 pm

dtfgator wrote:I like that you quoted my "ancient" reply, even though it has nothing to do with the topic lol

I just quoted everything since I posted last xD

Also something I would like to quickly just say:

Retired rank is also above Veteran rank. Retired rank gets all the perks from both Architect and Veteran!

Which means you guys have scored some extra perks you didnt used to get :P

Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyunyoung on 4/30/2016, 8:13 pm

Revilo410 wrote:Retired rank is also above Veteran rank.

Hyunyoung
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 5/2/2016, 8:06 pm

So after some time, the question if activity occurs to me.

What would we say is being active? In my personal case, Im very active on the forums but havent played Minecraft in ages. At the same time, there are people who are super active in game but only ever touch the forums to apply for member. Is one form of activity preferable to another? Or does it not matter, so long as youre active in the community? Building on that thought, can you really be active in the community with only one or the other? What truly is it that makes someone an active player?

I think this might be a distinction which will need adressing.

Personal Opinion:
In my opinion, I would say in-game activity is preferable. Using my example again, Im always around the forum but never on the server. I dont think it would be all that fair to give rank and perks to someone who wouldnt really put them to use on a regular basis, especially if there are others who could. At the same time, its not necessarily all about the perks. Theres that recognition within the community, which it looks like this rebranding of the rank is all about. Conclusion: I dunno. I think it would be good to have others weigh in here.

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on 5/2/2016, 8:28 pm

Well you have to be an oasian first before getting veteran. So this will require you to use the forums. That would satisfy that requirement if it was one.

StupidTester.com says I'm 0% Stupid! How stupid are you? Click Here!

Paxination
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on 5/2/2016, 8:39 pm

WAIT my bad, i am wrong, Oasian isnt a requirement

StupidTester.com says I'm 0% Stupid! How stupid are you? Click Here!

Paxination
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PakandtheFlo on 5/3/2016, 12:19 am

I would like to be a Vertern.

PakandtheFlo
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 4emersons on 5/3/2016, 1:54 am

PakandtheFlo wrote:I would like to be a Vertern.
First order of business there, bud, is waiting to see if you get unbanned. If you get unbanned, you've got at least a year or two to go still, mate.

4emersons
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 on 5/3/2016, 2:46 am

Shnoork wrote:So after some time, the question if activity occurs to me.

What would we say is being active? In my personal case, Im very active on the forums but havent played Minecraft in ages. At the same time, there are people who are super active in game but only ever touch the forums to apply for member. Is one form of activity preferable to another? Or does it not matter, so long as youre active in the community? Building on that thought, can you really be active in the community with only one or the other? What truly is it that makes someone an active player?

I think this might be a distinction which will need adressing.

Personal Opinion:
In my opinion, I would say in-game activity is preferable. Using my example again, Im always around the forum but never on the server. I dont think it would be all that fair to give rank and perks to someone who wouldnt really put them to use on a regular basis, especially if there are others who could. At the same time, its not necessarily all about the perks. Theres that recognition within the community, which it looks like this rebranding of the rank is all about. Conclusion: I dunno. I think it would be good to have others weigh in here.
I would define activity as activity in the oasis community, while in game would probably be preferred, it is very possible to also be super involved in the community mainly from the forums, especially if people like you find it hard to get in game :3

The rank is a very case-by-case basis so each person almost has to be judged very differently looking at their own unique aspects and what would make them fit to be the rank :)

Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderHorse on 5/3/2016, 4:33 pm

Well I definitely meet the requirements except I've been put into a forced inactivity for the last 7+ months.

Looks like It's gonna be quite awhile before I get it that is if my internet ever gets restored...

ThunderHorse
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by izumi4kona on 5/4/2016, 9:08 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for adding /pweather

My minecraft experience will be forever set to "storm"

izumi4kona
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyunyoung on 5/4/2016, 10:59 pm

izumi4kona wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for adding /pweather

YES and /ptime too!!! I finally don't have to be building in the rain at night (and we all know how much it rains on Oasis). Many praise to you all for bringing this back to retired!

Hyunyoung
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top