SMP frustrations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SMP frustrations

Post by acsempronio on 5/20/2011, 4:12 pm

This server is pretty good, there are some good people, most of the staff is pleasant enough and the owners are unintrusive.

What follows is less of a complaint directed towards this server and more of a general voicing of discontent and displeasure with the way players operate, staff and mortals alike, in any server.

Structure placement.
===============
I find, during my travels that there are far too many structures huddled around the stargates as if the map is limited to a 150 block radius from the gate.
I was at the Grassland stargate last night and saw some squat square structures, ad nauseum, scattered in a random placing around the stargate; the place looked like Calcutta, complete with cows.
Please, stop being lazy. Walk some distance find a secluded spot with a nice view, and set up shop. If you are concerned about night during the travel, dig a hole, cover it , sit in it and then leave in the morning. Patience is a virtue long lost on the younger generations.
This may help prevent the far lazier griefers who see the stargate as a buffet of madness.
This may also help with the "This is my mine not yours..." arguments I keep hearing.
If you feel you must be part of a crowd.... step up, take control of the area and lay a road... this may force your contemporaries to at least align their structure with others rather than just wherever they find a flower (which, by the way, at least grow with a little more order.)

Structure design.
=============
Non-donators and non-staff can't spawn items... I get that. With that in mind, have a rough plan and work to it. Stop being content with a block house and sign; build a roof, add some flair, read a floorplan from a book (what's a book?) and copy it to minecraft (as best as possible.)
Now for those who can spawn things:
No excuse for shi++y structures. none. I'm not perfect and don't claim to be, usually. I have a thing going in grassland. It's large and time-consuming, but I had a general sense of a plan and ran with it. I have gotten compliments, and some criticism... mostly from myself.
Then last night I stumbled across what I can only describe as an atrocity in the tundra... right in front of the stargate. I won't name names, but there is sloppy use of color coordination, block variance, shape and design and it's all covered in fire (which is a hazard unto itself because I witnessed a player catch fire from it last night.) Fire? In the tundra. At least keep a theme.

Communal planning.
===============
Figure out where things are, learn to navigate the land and help link the players. Be it by road or rail, assist in building something that links two places at a distance. I understand the "hidden city" isn't too far from me. I plan on linking the two, once I find it. Why? because fosters community effort, it offers a path to unseen things, and you may discover a new place YOU like simply by walking there.
On a side note, The Hidden City owner may be displeased with my actions... but... you can't hide a giant stone ring... it can't be done.

Dirt houses.
=========
If it's made of dirt, it's part of the ground. If you get dug up, stop using dirt.

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SMP frustrations

Post by Okowi on 5/20/2011, 5:20 pm

lawlorskates I endorse this post......

Okowi
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariley on 5/20/2011, 5:36 pm

Oh boy. This is wonderful. I think everyone who plays here needs to read this.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sainteven on 5/20/2011, 5:39 pm

this is perfectly accurate. I agree wholeheartedly

Vote for us daily at Minestatus

Sainteven
Oasis SMP Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snowninja845 on 5/20/2011, 6:29 pm

i agree everyone who plays doesnt go out very far or does a good design. see now im building a snow mansion on ice now its going to take a very long time to get all the snow but i dont care. everyone needs to realize that you cant just go ten feet from spawn. I really like how you put this to attention. I who can not spawn has made some pretty cool homes as i have been told by some people.

snowninja845
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertPanda on 5/20/2011, 7:21 pm

Sticky fosho.Someone understands a synergy in an online server.

InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saeTan on 5/21/2011, 4:26 pm

Yeah, we were planning on getting an area specific protection plugin. If we did this, we would set a large protection area around the portals, with signs saying go out far and build. I would hope that we would cut and paste the current houses there -- I'm sure the owners won't mind, they're just square cobblestone huts.

I totally agree with this also. I've opened up, but not yet finished two districts in my city, and I must say, I am greatly disappointed at how unimaginative people are. Its a city for gods sake, with plots -- not a place to put a mining hut. People will build out of the theme, like making tall brick and dirt buildings in the modern district. I agree with your frustration, but unfortunately only part of it can be fixed.

saeTan
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 5/21/2011, 4:32 pm

Dear god, Thank you acsem for bringing this up. If people could actually follow this it would be amazing.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamole on 5/22/2011, 9:06 am

Yeah, people do need to follow this, I am not the best builder, nor do i claim to be.

I think cobble stone needs to be used less, the are many nicer things to use, I tend to use Brick/Sandstone. takes a bit longer, but i think that the finished product looks better then one built just in cobble.
This time around I have gone for Wood/Sand, this is mainly because the people who are in my area and whom share the farm and some chests have gone with wood.

Mine probably still stands out a little more, given that there's are in the mountainside and mine is up top, but i can always turn it into a viewing spot, more than a home, not 100% on that yet.

I would like to see less Half-finished projects as well, it's not so much of a big deal now (as the server hasn't been up long), but on the last map, I saw loads and most of them appeared to be un-used as well

Good post by the way, players do need to read this.

dynamole
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Econwatson on 5/23/2011, 1:34 am

I agree wholeheartedly with your post bro :)

The cobblestone thing is difficult though, if you wanna make a stone building it would take a very very long time to smelt all of that stone in a furnace, especially if the server is lagging! My castle I built in the Grasslands spawn, I wanted to be made out of stone, it would have looked much better. But I would have needed a LOT of stone and therefore a lot of coal :(

Maybe you could make an item like stone spawnable if you want less cobblestone buildings? If any new person wants to embark on a big project which is constructed in the main of stone, cobblestone is really the only option :)

Econwatson
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/23/2011, 12:33 pm

[quote="Econwatson"
Maybe you could make an item like stone spawnable if you want less cobblestone buildings? If any new person wants to embark on a big project which is constructed in the main of stone, cobblestone is really the only option :)[/quote]

Your argument is a great support for the economy side: Someone who's job it is to make stone could make a tremendous amount of coin. I've actually considered doing that myself as it seems to be much needed.

The problem is that I'm a donator and can just spawn stone and while I have been able to compartmentalize the blocks I spawn and the blocks I find, I'm afraid the apparent ambiguity might make me look like a cheater; I don't think anyone should sell anything they spawn.

With that said, I never spawn coal and have amassed a large quantity as of late as well as a large quantity of clay, so I might open a stone and brick shop, find a spot to dig a quarry, and make a clay pit. Look for it in Ersington.

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mefabe on 5/23/2011, 5:07 pm

i like the idea and agree with it too. im not that lazy about going far away or making good-looking houses, but i dissagree on the fact that shops should be far away.shops should acctually right around the stargate, and houses should be farther

mefabe
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/23/2011, 5:10 pm

That sounds reasonable... but thy should be near each other and at least some walking distance and arranged well... hey, that sounds like A TOWN!

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cloudkesh on 5/23/2011, 6:51 pm

This is pretty good. I myself don't own a city or anything and If I do, It's actually a city in the mountains or underground. And If I happen to lose my little city, I just copy the coordinates and ask an Admin I can Trust too warp there and teleport me back. If it can't be done, I'll apply for a warp for that city. And If someone asks me what my city name is I'll only say "It's a secret to those who can't read the signs." And about that hidden city, dude look, You really can't hide a giant ring of stone, attempt another hidden city by making it deep underground/into the mountains. Make it to where people can't get there if they don't try.

cloudkesh
Banned
Banned

View user profile http://Youtube.com/user/Lukecastellan909

Back to top Go down

Post by Econwatson on 5/24/2011, 7:03 am

Is selling stone that has used spawned coal to make it considered selling spawned items? Thats an interesting question :) I am guessing probably yes. I wouldn't mind mining for coal to start that sort of enterprise aces! If you need some assistance with it I would be glad to help

Econwatson
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/24/2011, 12:30 pm

Econ... That sound like a plan. I can pay you 48 coin per stack of coal. You can find it wherever and meet in Ersington when I am around. I am low on coin right now, so I can trade you for what I have.

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 5/24/2011, 12:59 pm

I believe using spawned coal to smelt cobblestone would make the smoothstone illegal to sell. However, I would really suggest lava buckets as a fuel source rather than coal. If you are trusted+ and only use it for fuel lava buckets are allowed. Even if you are not trusted+ just ask a staff member who is online and they should give you temp. permission to use it only as fuel.

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum