Microsoft bought Mojang

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Heisenberg on 9/15/2014, 10:26 am

Yes we're being bought by Microsoft

Just a heads up for those who don't follow much news.

EDIT: Microsoft's statement

Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1993
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 19
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/15/2014, 10:58 am

“We are going to maintain ‘Minecraft’ and its community in all the ways people love today, with a commitment to nurture and grow it long into the future.”

Might not be so bad. Maybe more frequent updates and more manpower towards the game.

Better than EA getting it. "New minecraft DLC, only 60 dollars!"

_________________

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posts : 741
Join date : 2011-09-22
Age : 22
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by tjr1022 on 9/15/2014, 12:20 pm

Can I play it on my Mac tho? Knowing Microsoft I can't really tell, y'know?

tjr1022
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 538
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 16
Location : Rhode Island

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Fithboy on 9/15/2014, 12:35 pm

tjr1022 wrote:Can I play it on my Mac tho? Knowing Microsoft I can't really tell, y'know?
Mojang Blog wrote:There’s no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop. Of course, Microsoft can’t make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future.

Reading the material given is always good ;).

I hope Microsoft just injects cash and leaves Mojang to continue on how its going. If they start making pay DLC and all that crap people are going to stop playing.

Fithboy
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 725
Join date : 2014-01-15
Age : 17
Location : Liverpewl

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/xxXDennoXxx/

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh on 9/15/2014, 1:03 pm

With all the success that minecraft brought over the years on all the different platforms that they have spread to it would be a failure as a company to destroy or defile the good name and the community that support it. Microsoft has always been good to the games it has cultivated and continue to build to the massive cult hits they are today. Remember that Mojang was just a little company that made a hit that grew too fast for them to conserve resources for other projects. With the backing of Microsoft's resources and manpower, minecraft would get the help it needs and deserves. This would also allow the Mojang team to go into different projects that they wanted to spread into.

Also I found this video made for the announcement of the business deal and the possible future of the franchise.


_________________
Youtube Account

My Psychs be all like...:

Goes well with...

Theme song I guess..:

Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posts : 660
Join date : 2013-09-30
Age : 23
Location : USA, WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Shnoork on 9/15/2014, 2:47 pm

Lets not forget, Microsoft bought MOJANG, not just Minecraft. What I think will happen is Microsoft will try to keep Mojang as it is, pumping out indie games, but with some form of guidance. This might include funds for something new or requesting a tweak to certain policies. As you may have realised, Mojang has never been about the money. I think that the only way Minecraft itself will change is that there might be some more income being demanded from us, the consumer, in various forms. For Mojang as a branch of Microsoft, however, I can see big things coming our way. Games, merchandise, you name it. Microsoft will help launch Mojang into some good places, places they would never have gone without that guidance.

Not to say that its all good. There may be some repurcussions. I can see some people getting annoyed at Microsoft over a few things in the future...

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Posts : 1210
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 18
Location : Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Rayvenx on 9/15/2014, 2:57 pm

Not to start a "change bad" argument but personally, Microsoft has a history of bad design decisions (xbox one and Windows Vista for example). I fear for where Minecraft may go in the future. They definitely aren't a fan of allowing as much user control as Mojang has in regards to mods, plugins etc. This could very seriously be the death of user run servers because of their business design. I hope I'm wrong and things stay as is.

Rayvenx
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

Posts : 21
Join date : 2014-08-03
Age : 25
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by mickdude2 on 9/15/2014, 4:25 pm

Rayvenx wrote:Not to start a "change bad" argument but personally, Microsoft has a history of bad design decisions (xbox one and Windows Vista for example). I fear for where Minecraft may go in the future. They definitely aren't a fan of allowing as much user control as Mojang has in regards to mods, plugins etc. This could very seriously be the death of user run servers because of their business design. I hope I'm wrong and things stay as is.

Forza and Halo beg to differ.

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1951
Join date : 2011-12-10
Age : 19
Location : U.S.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Cheerioes on 9/15/2014, 4:54 pm

Age of Empires V: Minecraft Edition

Cheerioes
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 301
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 19
Location : AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by bigmatt92 on 9/15/2014, 5:14 pm

Rayvenx wrote: They definitely aren't a fan of allowing as much user control as Mojang has in regards to mods, plugins etc. This could very seriously be the death of user run servers because of their business design. I hope I'm wrong and things stay as is.
Trust me, you ARE wrong.  Look up Microsoft's Flight Simulators.  With the exception of one, pretty much all of them are an absolute modder's PARADISE, and I am one of those nutjob modders for them.  There are multiple webpages with THOUSANDS of mods and addons for those.  If anything, I think Minecraft may be headed towards more updates and maybe even more customization ability.

bigmatt92
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Posts : 52
Join date : 2013-07-19
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Shnoork on 9/15/2014, 6:08 pm

Cheerioes wrote:Age of Empires V: Minecraft Edition
Microsoft, you better deliver

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Posts : 1210
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 18
Location : Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by flomzilla on 9/16/2014, 7:31 am

For those concerned about minecraft on other operating systems, MS has said it'll remain available on all current systems for the foreseeable future. Also, even if they do decide to go exclusive some time down the road (which I seriously doubt) as long as the game remains java based there'll probably be community ports.

flomzilla
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 227
Join date : 2013-02-15
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Paxination on 9/16/2014, 4:18 pm

bigmatt92 wrote:
Rayvenx wrote: They definitely aren't a fan of allowing as much user control as Mojang has in regards to mods, plugins etc. This could very seriously be the death of user run servers because of their business design. I hope I'm wrong and things stay as is.
Trust me, you ARE wrong.  Look up Microsoft's Flight Simulators.  With the exception of one, pretty much all of them are an absolute modder's PARADISE, and I am one of those nutjob modders for them.  There are multiple webpages with THOUSANDS of mods and addons for those.  If anything, I think Minecraft may be headed towards more updates and maybe even more customization ability.

Thats one example. Microsoft has been known to not be very "modding community" friendly.

Trust me, you ARE wrong.

_________________



StupidTester.com says I'm 0% Stupid! How stupid are you? Click Here!

Paxination
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Posts : 2505
Join date : 2012-10-08
Age : 40
Location : Cybertron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Paxination on 9/16/2014, 4:19 pm

And Halo map making doesnt count, its not modding the actual game.

*EDIIIIIT*

http://flightsim.filefront.com/files/Flight_Simulator_X/Flight_Simulator_X;11099

Creating custom graphics isnt the same thing as minecraft modding/plugins. Modding minecraft requires access to source code. Are there actual open source/closed source COMMUNITY mods to FS that modify the games behaviour?

_________________



StupidTester.com says I'm 0% Stupid! How stupid are you? Click Here!

Paxination
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Posts : 2505
Join date : 2012-10-08
Age : 40
Location : Cybertron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by flomzilla on 9/16/2014, 4:55 pm

Paxination wrote:And Halo map making doesnt count, its not modding the actual game.

*EDIIIIIT*

http://flightsim.filefront.com/files/Flight_Simulator_X/Flight_Simulator_X;11099

Creating custom graphics isnt the same thing as minecraft modding/plugins.  Modding minecraft requires access to source code.  Are there actual open source/closed source COMMUNITY mods to FS that modify the games behaviour?
I know back when I was really in to FSX there were plenty of mods available that allowed for things like improved ambient air traffic (Other flights going all over at the same time as you) as well as adding aircraft that weren't in the base game, some of which had additional functionality (ex: A B-52 mod allowed for dropping ordinance). Dunno what you're referring to as modifying the game's behavior but that stuff seemed like it would count to me.

VVVVV ON TOPIC VVVVV

flomzilla
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 227
Join date : 2013-02-15
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by ThunderHorse on 9/16/2014, 5:48 pm

Yeah microsoft has never been a big fans of modding as stated above. That doesnt mean they will eliminate the ability to mod minecraft and they know the mods make the game better and seem to have more sales so i think they will leave it alone 

This is just what opinion on what might happen

ThunderHorse
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1380
Join date : 2013-08-03
Age : 19
Location : Michigan, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Paxination on 9/16/2014, 5:58 pm

flomzilla wrote:
Paxination wrote:And Halo map making doesnt count, its not modding the actual game.

*EDIIIIIT*

http://flightsim.filefront.com/files/Flight_Simulator_X/Flight_Simulator_X;11099

Creating custom graphics isnt the same thing as minecraft modding/plugins.  Modding minecraft requires access to source code.  Are there actual open source/closed source COMMUNITY mods to FS that modify the games behaviour?
I know back when I was really in to FSX there were plenty of mods available that allowed for things like improved ambient air traffic (Other flights going all over at the same time as you) as well as adding aircraft that weren't in the base game, some of which had additional functionality (ex: A B-52 mod allowed for dropping ordinance). Dunno what you're referring to as modifying the game's behavior but that stuff seemed like it would count to me.

VVVVV ON TOPIC VVVVV

I googled the tar outta it and couldnt find any mods for any of the games.

_________________



StupidTester.com says I'm 0% Stupid! How stupid are you? Click Here!

Paxination
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Posts : 2505
Join date : 2012-10-08
Age : 40
Location : Cybertron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by commander_chair on 9/16/2014, 7:26 pm

Maybe Halo 5 is just Minecraft with guns??????? Conspiracy? I think so.

commander_chair
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1038
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : Indianapolis IN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Grimtongue on 9/17/2014, 11:13 am

In hindsight, it's pretty obvious why Mojang updated the Minecraft EULA. Microsoft has never been supportive of the modding community, and the new EULA reflects this fact. However, the Minecraft modding community is millions of people strong. This is new territory for Microsoft, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Grimtongue
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 470
Join date : 2012-11-28
Age : 36
Location : Massachusetts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft bought Mojang

Post by Heisenberg on 9/17/2014, 12:07 pm

Grimtongue wrote:In hindsight, it's pretty obvious why Mojang updated the Minecraft EULA.  Microsoft has never been supportive of the modding community, and the new EULA reflects this fact.  However, the Minecraft modding community is millions of people strong.  This is new territory for Microsoft, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Nope. The EULA drama is what triggered the sale, not the other way round. Notch was getting death threats over it when he had 0 part in it, and hadn't touched minecraft in over a year. Not say it's the only reason, but this backlash over the EULA certainly seems to be the main reason for the sale.

Heisenberg
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

Posts : 1993
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 19
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum