Oasis Ranking System Poll

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you think of the current Oasis ranking system?

24% 24% 
[ 6 ]
76% 76% 
[ 19 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 25

Oasis Ranking System Poll

Post by Nova042 on 5/11/2011, 1:01 am

DISCLAIMER:
There are no changes planned at this time. This pole is strictly for personal use as a means for me to gather information from the members.

Greetings everyone,

I really like to think of myself as someone who the members can talk / complain to about anything and I'm always interested in your ideas or concerns. I am taking this pole to see what the Oasis populous thinks of the current ranking system Oasis has in place. When you answer the question, I don't want you to think about whether or not certain ranks should be added or removed. Instead, I want you to think specifically about these things:

1) Do you like the way in which promotions currently work?
2) Do you think promotions are given out too freely?
3) Do you understand the role of each of the non-staff ranks (member, trusted, artisan, veteran)?
4) Do you understand the role of each of the staff ranks (guide, mod, admin, superadmin)?
5) Do you think the rules and regulations regarding what each rank is allowed or not allowed to do are easily accessible or understandable?
6) Do you think that the type of items each rank gains access to are fair?
7) Is there anything else about the ranking system you feel needs fixing or "fleshing out"?

As per all of my posts, comments, suggestions, and ideas are always welcome below. Thank you for your participation.

-[Guide] Nova

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Ranking System Poll

Post by snowninja845 on 5/11/2011, 1:46 am

i absolutely think trusted is a way too easy rank to achieve because i have seen people who have played on the server for one day and they get trusted the next because they got member 6 hours after joining the server

snowninja845
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 5/11/2011, 4:07 am

Well I'm not actually sure if Trusted is too easy of a rank to get, being at donator rank I won't be able to check that for myself. Though I have heard many people say that it is too easy to achieve. If someone wants to reach Trusted, then I believe that they should have to prove that they can be trusted beyond a shadow of a doubt. Therefore Veteran should be someone who is trusted, helpful, and logs in enough time to truly be, a veteran of this server. As for staff ranks, I'm not sure exactly how elections for those go, so my opinion stand neutral on those.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re;

Post by deamonfate on 5/11/2011, 5:52 am

1) Do you like the way in which promotions currently work?
Yes, setting up promotions give a reason to play, it's a goal that people are willing to strive for just for the sheer satisfaction and the ability to boast about their current rank. if you was to make promotions too difficult to attain, people will become too agitated.

2) Do you think promotions are given out too freely?
No, I think that more ranks should be introduced to the server to allow players to attain a sense of self accomplishment. Have ranks such as 'Builder' with requirements for that, eg; need to build something that has the 'wow' factor. This encourages players imagination and artistic abilities.

3) Do you understand the role of each of the non-staff ranks (member, trusted, artisan, veteran)?
Yes, Although they arn't really clear for newbies to see, I know of the roles due to my history of Minecraft.

4) Do you understand the role of each of the staff ranks (guide, mod, admin, superadmin)?
Same responce as number 3 ^

5) Do you think the rules and regulations regarding what each rank is allowed or not allowed to do are easily accessible or understandable?
I think there should be area's and warps set up for each rank to warp too, with information there informing about what that rank entitles / job / commands. This'll build community spirit.

6) Do you think that the type of items each rank gains access to are fair?
mm, i believe so?

7) Is there anything else about the ranking system you feel needs fixing or "fleshing out"?
Additional ranks to be considered, As I said in post 1, having multiple ranks and requirements for each rank will encourage the community by having a goal. By posting on the forums the new, possible ranks attainable. People can choose what rank they would like to be, hence setting a target and working for that.

If possible, the ranks could have their own unique kit / command. eg builder - /kit stone - gives smooth stone - helps with construction of buildings. A well earned reward for their creation of a master piece.

deamonfate
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Matherj29

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/11/2011, 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Artisian Rank

Post by paintballerrya on 5/11/2011, 6:09 pm

I think all the other ranks are fine except the artisian rank. From what ive heard you have to be artisic and build something cool and big. I think this is way to broad. There should be some kind of guidline of which there is a certain amount of things you need to build and how much other people think they are cool or something like that. Just my opinion.

paintballerrya
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/11/2011, 6:23 pm

paintballerrya wrote:There should be some kind of guidline of which there is a certain amount of things you need to build and how much other people think they are cool or something like that.

I have actually discussed this idea with other people before. We were unsure of how the community would like the idea of having to perform certain tasks in order to be promoted. Here was an issue we had. Lets say a goal to become artisan is to create a castle with working cobble machine. Once the first person has met this goal, all everyone else has to do is copy it. The other issue is time frame. Many of us, including myself, feel that someone should spend a decent amount of time on the server before they get promoted to artisan. Using my previous example of having to build a castle, I could join the server one afternoon, and have met the artisan requirements by that night. Coming up with rank requirements ended up harder than I had previously thought.

This is a good suggestion non the less and one I am still trying to think about how it could be implemented.

Last edited by Nova042 on 5/11/2011, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sainteven on 5/11/2011, 7:46 pm

i agree it needs some tweaks. veteran and artisan need their roles and prerequisites defined more clearly. As for those who say trusted is to easy to get. trusted is supposed to be pretty easy, its a rank for those we know have been playing and we don't need to keep an eye on. would you like to see a rank between veteran and trusted to give another step so you all can feel special?

Vote for us daily at Minestatus

Sainteven
Oasis SMP Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertPanda on 5/11/2011, 8:40 pm

I honestly still think Artisan should be rewarded to those who build crazy things, instead of just another rank between trusted and veteran for people to get so they don't cry about not being promoted for a while,

InvertPanda
Emerald Miner
Emerald Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegeta400 on 5/11/2011, 9:41 pm

I think you should make Trusted harder to get and i think there needs to be more Veteran elections.

Vegeta400
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/11/2011, 9:50 pm

Vegeta400 wrote:...i think there needs to be more Veteran elections.

I think the issue with this, is that the more people who receive a certain rank, the less special a person feels about getting that position. Lets say that there are 50 Veterans. If you were one of them, you would probably feel like just another person with a rank, rather than someone special who worked hard to earn a rank. It is unfortunate, but a large percentage of the server has to stay as Trusted, members, or guests in order to keep the higher up ranks more appealing. I understand that everyone wants to be able to spawn items, but if everyone could, then it would take the "survival" out of SMP. I feel that this is an essential part of what our server is.

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariley on 5/12/2011, 12:12 pm

Nova042 wrote:
Vegeta400 wrote:...i think there needs to be more Veteran elections.

I think the issue with this, is that the more people who receive a certain rank, the less special a person feels about getting that position. Lets say that there are 50 Veterans. If you were one of them, you would probably feel like just another person with a rank, rather than someone special who worked hard to earn a rank. It is unfortunate, but a large percentage of the server has to stay as Trusted, members, or guests in order to keep the higher up ranks more appealing. I understand that everyone wants to be able to spawn items, but if everyone could, then it would take the "survival" out of SMP. I feel that this is an essential part of what our server is.

I agree with Nova. The original idea behind "Veteran" was that it was to be awarded to someone who was truly exceptional on the server, someone who built amazing things, was an active part of the community, well-liked by most of the players.

But yes, in general, I think the system could use some tweaking. Change is a necessary part of the evolution of anything.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scottdogs on 5/14/2011, 3:44 pm

I think member and trusted ranks have been increasingly easier to get. When i first joined the server it took a while to even get member and even longer to get trusted. Now I've seen trusted players asking about why they cant use TNT or the Too Many Items mod...

scottdogs
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 5/15/2011, 4:41 am

scottdogs wrote:When i first joined the server it took a while to even get member and even longer to get trusted. Now I've seen trusted players asking about why they cant use TNT or the Too Many Items mod...

"Back in my day".... thanks grandpa. lol just kidding. But this is always the way of things. Everyone wants things to be easier and easier. That is why it's up to the staff to know where to set the bar.

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top