I need some advice

+2
mickdude2
IHasADerp
6 posters

Go down

I need some advice Empty I need some advice

Post by IHasADerp 8/24/2014, 10:57 pm

Do you guys think I should step ahead and go for JrMod, or stay back a bit and wait for a good chance? I mean, I really want to help the server as much as I can, but I don't want to have to wait to help people and mingle in better ways. Please, try to help.
IHasADerp
IHasADerp
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Back to top Go down

I need some advice Empty Re: I need some advice

Post by mickdude2 8/24/2014, 11:05 pm

If you have to ask, the answer is most likely no.
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh 8/25/2014, 12:20 am

To expound on mick's comment now is not an opportune time to apply for vet and jr mod.

As stated in the app format for veteran you must be on the server for at least four months (forum join date is the official join date for oasis) and you barely can scratch a full month. It's best to leave these apps aside for now u I'll next year and you become a stronger part of the community.

There are many ways you can help without jrmod or vet perms but if you really want to commit to helping the server and you know you will be a long term player you can donate to it.

Donations help the server by paying for the monthly fees that have to be paid to keep it running. You also gain certain perms dependant on how much you pay to the server (remember that you are not entitled to them if you abuse them). I'd recommend giving the donations page a check to see what perms you can get.

Remember that you do not need to donate to the server or apply for a position to be a help to the server. Find people who you can build with, assist players with your skill set, and promote good behavior and fair play.
Gr00veDriftTreh
Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by jandavey 8/25/2014, 12:59 am

Gr00ve is right, there are numerous ways to help people with just trusted rank, for instance, giving food to people who need it doesn't even require a rank, just some money or a farm. Helping people out with their builds or lending some supplies doesn't require a rank either, just compassion and time. Also, don't just help out people in your friend circle, people will notice that. You don't have to turn into a saint and give up all your money to help people, just do what you can. For instance, I can give tps to people, when I'm not doing anything important, like if I'm on a really tall skyscraper and I tp, if I use /back usually I fall off instantly. Also, anyone who says "staff not doing tps is the reason why we have 20$ donators" I refuse to do tps for these people because they're making it as if I have an obligation to help them, which I don't want. While you wait your 3-6 months until comfortable, you can already help people without needing a rank or donation to the server.

jandavey
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderHorse 8/25/2014, 1:33 am

Gr00veDriftTreh1 wrote:To expound on mick's comment now is not an opportune time to apply for vet and jr mod.

As stated in the app format for veteran you must be on the server for at least four months (forum join date is the official join date for oasis) and you barely can scratch a full month. It's best to leave these apps aside for now u I'll next year and you become a stronger part of the community.

There are many ways you can help without jrmod or vet perms but if you really want to commit to helping the server and you know you will be a long term player you can donate to it.

Donations help the server by paying for the monthly fees that have to be paid to keep it running. You also gain certain perms dependant on how much you pay to the server (remember that you are not entitled to them if you abuse them). I'd recommend giving the donations page a check to see what perms you can get.

Remember that you do not need to donate to the server or apply for a position to be a help to the server. Find people who you can build with, assist players with your skill set, and promote good behavior and fair play.
Couldn't have said it any better. I am not staff but there is a lot i can do to help out still even though its not stuff like fixing griefs and banning griefers and spammers but simple stuff like answering questions and helping build houses for new players is stuff i do daily to help out
ThunderHorse
ThunderHorse
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/25/2014, 2:36 am

I just want to say how beautiful jand's paragraph is.
And Thunder makes a wonderful point about question-answering. I can't begin to describe how much that helps. Staff are constantly getting messages, through private msg ingame, forums, helpop, and public chat - on top of all the notification spam we get from other staff tools, and trying to fix things. It's wonderful when someone else can answer questions, especially when we've got our hands tied elsewhere.

Only other rank-related advice I can think of that hasn't already been stated:

-Unless staff is nudging you to apply before the usual time requirement has passed, it's wise to respect the requirements stated on the applications. There are exceptions where staff will nudge/support outstanding community members to apply before they meet the minimum time, but the requirements are put there for a reason.

-Golden rule:don't worry about ranks.
Relax, play, have a good time, make friends, build, mine, farm, help people if you want, etc. Ranks come in time to those who deserve them. It's totally okay to want a rank, but don't drive yourself nuts and end up doing things you regret. Seen way too many people take that route....

-Forum activity
Not required, but it does help people get to know you better. Especially ones who might be outside your timezone, and don't see you in-game very often.

-When it comes time when you feel ready to apply for something, put a lot of thought into it. Ask yourself if you really want the position you're applying for, why you deserve it, and if it suits your skills and personality.

-Think about the capabilities you already have to help people, and how you're using them (like Gr00ve mentioned as well). Personally, when I consider vet/jrmod/t+/etc I look for those who help; not those who want a title before they help, or a title to recognize their help. For artisan and arch, I look at those who actively build and try to improve and enjoy doing so without seeking merit; not those who only build in pursuit of a rank. Motives are important, and actions often hold more meaning then words.

Hopefully this helps a bit

Back to top Go down

Post by IHasADerp 8/25/2014, 1:08 pm

Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm still waiting for my friends to respond, but for now, I'm most likely going to wait and keep helping people normally. I'll wait until june to august next year or farther to apply, and hopefully get accepted.

And as a sidenote, one of my friends on the server would be a great artisan or arch. She loves to build, and doesn't really care if she doesn't get any rewards.

Spoiler:
It's XxEpicGirlzxX

And I also probably did the spoiler thing wrong.
IHasADerp
IHasADerp
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 8/25/2014, 1:54 pm

A forum tip: If youre trying to do something like a spoiler and arent sure whether or not it works, you can hit the preview button right beside the send button. This allows you to see a post the way everyone else will see it and make adjustments accordingly.

And I would just like to add, as someone who doesnt get on the server often, the forum is often the only place I can learn about people aside from those Ive already known. If you manage to establish yourself on the forums thats just one more thing working in your favor when it comes to ranks.
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down