+5
FairyNinjaStar
mickdude2
flomzilla
Birdiebug02
runethief000
9 posters

Go down

How Do You All Do It? Empty How Do You All Do It?

Post by runethief000 7/9/2014, 12:43 am

So before I went on a gaming hiatus because of school, I had applied for veteran. I had a few people who were pretty prevalent on the server vouch for me, but the main complaint was that people never really saw me around except every now and then, even though I had played almost every day up to that point. I had kind of gone unnoticed in the background hum of the chat.

Now that I'm back and able to play again, I'd still like to run for veteran eventually, (though I really should play more before I apply), and I guess I'm still facing the same problem; I guess I'm still really asocial on the server.

I don't really know how to approach any of the players here, and it just seems rude to interject myself into the conversations that are going on in the in-game chat or on Teamspeak. I guess that to me it's kind of the same thing as walking up to a group in the hallway at school and throwing my two cents at them.
Like I said, I would really like to be a bit more active (with the community, not just logging on and playing), so, just like the title, how do you all do what you do?

I log on and there's always a conversation going, and everybody seems to just get along really well and feel really comfortable. Do you guys have any advice?
(Sorry my first real post since returning is like this, kind of out of left field there.)

runethief000
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

Back to top Go down

How Do You All Do It? Empty Re: How Do You All Do It?

Post by Birdiebug02 7/9/2014, 1:04 am

Most of the people on here are nice and friendly (and talkative too xD) and wouldn't mind if you joined in on a silly little conversation :D

That's how most of us met each other, by joining on in a conversation, so be shy to!

So, don't worry, we don't bite, and we're friendly :3

Birdiebug02
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by flomzilla 7/9/2014, 1:45 am

Oasis is one of the nicest, most accepting communities I've ever had the chance to be a part of. You shouldn't be afraid to join in to somebody else's conversation in team speak or in game. If they wanted it to be private, it would be in Skype. If you have something to say, say it. When you say enough things people start to know you.
flomzilla
flomzilla
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 7/9/2014, 1:50 am

I've gone through much the same as you thief. I was online CONSTANTLY 1-2 years ago, so I made a lot of friends back then. I come back after a bit of a break, and suddenly everyone's name is new.

But despite the changing names and the slightly different tone, Oasis is the same old oasis. You'll make friends quick. I know I did (It helps that everyone assumed I was this wise old player with countless stories to tell of Oasis' 'glory days' :P)
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by FairyNinjaStar 7/9/2014, 4:01 am

I do understand what you are saying, runethief, but like others have said you just need to kinda jump in. Just start chatting with people. Also, there are a few things I do that has seemed to help make friends. 1) Greet everyone that logs in, whether you've seen them before in game or not, welcome them. 2) Greet everyone when you log in, and ask people how they are doing or what they are up to. 3) Just talk in chat, ask general questions like what are people's favorite games to play besides minecraft or has anyone played _blank_ game, etc. 4) Help people when you can, whether it be helping them to build something, helping them mine or collect other resources, or trading. Not only do they usually appreciate your help, but it gives you a chance to chat with one another and get to know each other better.
FairyNinjaStar
FairyNinjaStar
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

http://sarahchristina.hubpages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh 7/9/2014, 6:07 am

Even on TS we are wanting to hear from any players that join. Me and some other players like to hang out in the TS lobby and greet the people that join. Even though we all sometimes go into different rooms we still want to hear from you.

We really want people to just drop on in and join the conversation cause this is how oasis is. As a tight knit community group we want to have more players to participate in the big ol crazy extended family cause this cohesion of players with many backgrounds and different personalities make oasis the way it is.
Gr00veDriftTreh
Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork 7/9/2014, 9:59 pm

I remember being a wallflower for quite some time. It feels odd because you get to learn so much about people but at the same time hardly know them...

As pretty much everyone else has said. Talk. Greet. Jump in. Ect. The best way to get into a conversation on the server is by doing just what you feared, putting your two cents in. You just have to do it in a friendly, unobtrusive way. Personally, my favourite thing to do is hang around chat and drop some one liners here and there. This ranges from comments, puns, hell even something as simple as saying "brilliant" will work as you desire. Everyone finds their own thing, though. Just get comfortable, my friend!
Shnoork
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by runethief000 7/9/2014, 10:42 pm

@Shnoork That's usually what I do in conversations, both in game and out. If I see a chance I'll usually take it to drop a pun or a joke or comment. I'll do what I can to be a bit more vocal, though.

@Gr00veDriftTreh1 Hope I'll see you on TS then! I don't know if we play at the same times (haven't seen you yet), but maybe we'll get to talk eventually. Once I get started on a conversation I can usually follow pretty easily because I see myself as part of the moment. It's just getting in there that's the hard part for me.

@FairyNinjaStar I've started doing what you've suggested. When I first played I was one of the guys who would greet people when they joined the server, usually something like "Welcome to Oasis _Insert Name_! Remember to read /rules and ask me or a guide if you have any questions." I really should start greeting people as they log in, though; that would definitely help.

@mickdude2 I think you kind of hit the nail on the head. Returning was a bit jarring because I only recognized one or two names. I used to know how to approach different people, but now I'm just a bit lost in it all, mostly because I don't know any of the new players.

@flomzilla I've been trying to log onto TS more, but by the time I log on there's almost nobody on there. The general play channels are empty and the only people on are the Mods and Admins in their channel. I try to follow what Shnoork suggested and what I usually do outside of game to ease into whatever conversation I come across. 

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I'll do my best to join in more in the TS and chat.

runethief000
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh 7/9/2014, 10:58 pm

@runethief000
Yeah I'm not on at all in the weekdays since I am working all season in my grandads organic cherry and apple orchards. I'll be on on Saturday and Sunday eve pacific time and maybe on Monday and Friday if I'm lucky. Hope to meet you ingame!
Gr00veDriftTreh
Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by robbie291 7/10/2014, 8:44 pm

Most everyone on the server is friendly and would welcome you to join the conversation. I you ever see me chatting in game then just speak up I'd be glad to make your acquaintance and carry on a conversation with you. From my expeiriance on Oasis most other players feel that way too.  Look forward to meeting you in game.
robbie291
robbie291
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by bandityogo 7/11/2014, 8:04 pm

I think what makes Oasis so special is that it is a huge melting pot. there are so many people from very different backrounds and they all (most) get along and have a great time on the server! so my advice to you is to just be yourself, because that makes every individual special!! there may be people who are annoying but, you know there are annoying people everywhere you go so don't be afraid to be yourself!
bandityogo
bandityogo
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

http://bandityogo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum