question about server update.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

question about server update.

Post by Dementia_bourne on 7/8/2014, 3:24 pm

ok so let me start off with i dont know anything beyond the post in the announcements forum by the owner...

i am wondering IF the world needs a total reset, that we the players would be able to save some of our items by putting them into our char. inventories or an ender chest as that saves instances for each player, and am i an idiot and world reset means total code wipe?

Dementia_bourne
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: question about server update.

Post by Nico_Dubai on 7/8/2014, 3:28 pm

Nobody really knows,
Maybe it'll reset/maybe not
We'll just have to wait and see
Until then, just play and have fun

Nico_Dubai
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 5teel on 7/8/2014, 4:23 pm

When a server resets it usually means a total wipe of everything, including your items. So it's a clean slate.

I'd imagine that when we update to 1.8, the server will be reset, because of all the new biome and landmark stuff being introduced that can't spawn in the already-explored areas of this map.

5teel
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile http://canayedian.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 7/8/2014, 4:44 pm

Here is a post that really sums up the position on what we are doing with the update. Pax posted this awhile back but I'd imagine the main points still remain the same.

http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com/t18169-about-the-current-rumors-of-the-map-resetting

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dementia_bourne on 7/8/2014, 6:46 pm

*Sigh* thank you Osgatharp... that is the post i was talking about originally.
and thank you everyone for the information.

as i stated in the OP, i am not sure how a server reset works and was unsure if it was a partial or total code wipe, hence this post to begin with lol...

im thinking i need to get better at asking a concise question... ah well. 

in truth i do thank everyone that has helped shed some light/information on my questions as any chance to learn is greatly appreciated! i simply hate rumors and am glad an admin was able to answer!

so again THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

Dementia_bourne
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh on 7/8/2014, 7:10 pm

5teel wrote:When a server resets it usually means a total wipe of everything, including your items. So it's a clean slate.

I'd imagine that when we update to 1.8, the server will be reset, because of all the new biome and landmark stuff being introduced that can't spawn in the already-explored areas of this map.
Well not a total reset. Only the map, money balances, and item inventories will be reset. Ranks and perms will be saved and some choice builds may be saved for prosperity (maybe). (/warp rewind to see 1.6 builds)

My Psychs be all like...:

Goes well with...

Theme song I guess..:

Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowWovle on 7/8/2014, 7:23 pm

If my money and shop gets reset im quiting because I worked hard for them and I just brought my shop.

ShadowWovle
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dementia_bourne on 7/8/2014, 7:36 pm

ShadowWovle wrote:If my money and shop gets reset im quiting because I worked hard for them and I just brought my shop.

Please everyone don't do this /\

i started this post for the PURE sake of INFORMATION! not ranting and hate! please everyone just stick to the topic and not hijack the post for the sake of malcontent!  No

Dementia_bourne
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/8/2014, 7:49 pm

Keep in mind staff doesn't like resetting anymore then players. If things need to be reset, there's nothing we can do about it. Unless you want to be stuck on the current update for the rest of eternity.

If we do reset I’ve observed the following things about resets:

What’s normally reset:
-World map, you keep no items or builds. Discontinued maps are available on the forums for players to download though, so you may play it in single, lan, etc - it just won't be on the server.
-Pvp, Pvp's Nether, and SMP's Nether
-Inventories and EnderChest Inventories across all worlds that reset
-Spawn: There are times when we carry over the same /spawn area build, but there are also times where this build changes. (Ex, in the past we had a giant castle with staff statues, biomespheres, the majestic tree one we have now, etc)
-"Welcome [Player]" messages. Even if you where here before, you will get a message the first time you join the new map.
-Old CoreProtect data (plugin that logs all the block changes for every player)

Things that don't normally reset without a reason:
-OwnerGames, and other staff-related worlds for developments/games
-The schem-list for any builds that have been saved to this list over the years with WorldEdit
-Donator Ranks, Sever Ranks, ranks in general; so if you earned a rank or paid for donator perks, that will never be taken away in a reset
-In-game Money (this depends on what staff thinks about the current economy, and it can also be linked to shop world reseting)
-Shop World, unless we are building a new shop world. I've only seen 2 shopworlds in my time on here. If shop world resets, there is a good chance money may also reset (judging by last time).
-Plugins: Some are updated, some may be temporarily removed if they don’t cooperate with the new bukkit, but most of the plugins stay in place (do /plugins ingame for a list of plugins we run). This is why we need to wait a while after minecraft updates for a new stable bukkit version to be released. Notable plugin removals of the 1.6 to 1.7 updated were PropHunt and /Random.
-Colored Prefixes and nicknames

Process
First there's deciding whether or not a reset is necessary. Skipping that, Pax's post described that a bit.
When decided a reset is required, a new map is generated. The map is only open to staff prior to server update for a few days. During this time, staff sets up spawn, tests things, builds around the new biome portal locations, and other things to prepare the map for players. When ready it's loaded on to the server, and the old map is removed, and players spawn in the /spawn of the new map.

One time, we had "dual maps" where we had an update come really quick after another. Players where allowed to access both the 1.5 and 1.6 maps on the server, and when 1.7 finally came it replaced both maps.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 7/8/2014, 7:57 pm

Gr00veDriftTreh1 wrote:Well not a total reset. Only the map, money balances, and item inventories will be reset. Ranks and perms will be saved and some choice builds may be saved for prosperity (maybe). (/warp rewind to see 1.6 builds)
*posterity :P
ShadowWovle wrote:If my money and shop gets reset im quiting because I worked hard for them and I just brought my shop.
It's a game. You didn't work that hard to get it.
Dementia_bourne wrote:

Please everyone don't do this /\

i started this post for the PURE sake of INFORMATION! not ranting and hate! please everyone just stick to the topic and not hijack the post for the sake of malcontent!  No
Most people don't. Hence the thriving community.
Lina wrote:What’s normally reset:
-World map, you keep no items or builds. Discontinued maps are available on the forums for players to download though, so you may play it in single, lan, etc - it just won't be on the server.
I haven't seen a map up for download in three years. Do we have any?

All in all, I prefer constant resets. It keeps the map fresh and exciting. It keeps players constantly working. I'd be just as happy with a brand new map in 1.8 as I would with the same map.

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dementia_bourne on 7/8/2014, 8:01 pm

THANK YOU LINA!!!!! *HUGS* I COULD BLOODY KISS YOU!!!!! such a WONDERFUL complete set of information! THANK YOU!

Dementia_bourne
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/8/2014, 9:35 pm

mickdude2 wrote:
Lina wrote:What’s normally reset:
I haven't seen a map up for download in three years. Do we have any?
I think all of these still work, I just downloaded 1.3 and 1.4 a  couple weeks ago *-*
http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com/t15569-13-map-available-for-download?highlight=map+download
http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com/t15570-14-map-available-for-download?highlight=map+download
http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com/t17171-15-map-available-for-download?highlight=map+download
http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com/t17172-16-map-available-for-download?highlight=map+download

No idea if we have any maps from before that though
--------
edit: I did find some old map download links ariely posted by searching "map download", but the links are not working as far as I can tell ;_;
http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com/search?search_keywords=map+download

Last edited by Lina on 7/8/2014, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : search intensifies)

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top