On the topic of the Long Distance Tramway

View previous topic View next topic Go down

On the topic of the Long Distance Tramway

Post by Qprime on 5/20/2014, 9:59 pm

Hey all, Q_Prime here.

I just thought it was about time I give my little pet project a proper intro (for those of us who crawl the forums from time to time)

Here's what I've been up to: I'm making a massive, interconnected rail network with the goal of making both towns and remote regions easily accessible to any player that can rustle up a minecart (with communal minecarts available widely on the tracks).

The idea is to have a square lattice grid, (see: the lines on graph paper) with each segment being a 1000 block long track. At the both ends of each said segment is a "station" -- really just a bumper and a sign telling you your coordinates, and 3 further tracks so that at any station a player can choose to travel 1000 blocks in any of the cardinal directions (north, south, east, west.) Given enough time and, hopefully, enough helpers, I intend to canvas the full server map with this rail system. If that eventual goal is never met, that's fine by me, as each further segment of track completed is something that is useful for every player on the server.

The grid is centred at the coordinates (0,0) (that's (x,z) -- since the y-coordinate is elevation) -- the aptly named Origin station -- at which point we have a warp! (/warp origin) I want to be clear on something, I don't consider this "My" rail system. Although it was my idea, and I've done the lions share of the work on it, I consider it a public works project. Anyone who wants to add to it, improve it, or otherwise spice it up is welcome to do so given the sole condition that afterwards the tracks remain functional as they were before. I'm not making this for myself, I’m making it for everyone else to use. This is especially evident as my current home is, at present, nowhere near the completed grid.

So, that being said, the major goal of these rails is to A) Make remote areas easily accessible to players, and B) connect major towns and points of interest, again, for ease of access to all involved. To be clear -- my intent is NOT to either A) claim the entire either large sections of land or the server as my land via some convoluted scheme in which i've actually surrounded every single block of ground with my structure -- again, I consider the rail system public property and therefore lay no claim to the land around the rails. or B) in ANY WAY restrict the areas or builds of other players.

If you find that a rail line has been built uncomfortably close to your structure or town (I have more then once at this point unwittingly cut someones front yard in half without meaning to). I am MORE then willing to move/remove the rail line from your property. ANY STRUCTURE I BUILD RELATED TO THIS PROJECT WILL VANISH WITHOUT A TRACE UPON FIRST REQUEST. In-game mail me, or post a response to this thread for such problems to be solved.

I'm aware that this project is highly likely to step on peoples toes from time to time, and apologize both beforehand and, in such cases as are relevant, afterwards for any inconvenience this system might cause anyone. As such I have compiled a list of go-to solutions for persons or townships whom are concerned about the presence of my rail lines in proximity to their land.

A) First and foremost: Be inclusive! Anyone from the most humble dirt hut to the grandest town is both allowed and encouraged to create a railway substation and dedicated track that directly leads to their town. Similarly, highly creative solutions have already been found in several cases in which the presence of the railway was folded into the already present structures of towns (see /warp delphi, /warp rosetree, and /warp farmcult for examples). If you would like to be hooked up to the grid, just ask, or even do it yourself! You DON’T need my permission to link yourself to the grid. :)

B) Second Option: Move it buster! For those who, for aesthetic or other reasons, don’t want the track within sight of their build, upon request I will remove the present rail line and divert it away from the structure in question. In simplest terms "once I know you're there, I’ll happily go around."

C) Third Option: I don't even want to know it's there! I can bury the rail line if someone is insistent that they do not want to so much as notice that it exists while, for example, goofing off in their local woods. My go-to depth is y=40 (about 20 blocks underground in "tame" terrain), and I have "gone under" a number of developed regions already, usually in cases where I could not locate, deduce, or find the owners of builds in the way of the track. In short, if you don’t want it to be there, i can make it go away.

D) Fourth Option: Banish it entirely!! For those players who are absolutely insistent that there not be a rail line anywhere near their house, town, or build, there is another somewhat extreme option. I have not had to use this yet, but am more then willing if the situation arises. I can shunt the rail system through the nether, and take advantage of the fact that for every 1 block of distance travelled in the nether, 8 blocks are traversed in the over-world map. Basically, I would banish the track to another dimension in order to accommodate a player, while still retaining full functionality of the grid.

E) Fifth option: Kingdom Protista. "Other". Any solutions I have not presented here, I’m happy to hear them! Just because it wasn't in the list above doesn’t mean I wont do it! I know there are people on this server with a creative streak a mile wide, so if you think of something wildly creative, let me know -- I'm game for just about anything!

In conclusion, I hope this track system is useful and fun for everyone! I build it knowing, and having already heard several very happy reviews about it's usefulness and handiness. But I also realize that I'll probably step on some toes, and am happy to bend this way or that to accommodate other players. The rails are a fluid system that can change at any time. Having already laid something like 30,000 rail segments, redoing a segment is a drop in the bucket to me, so please don’t hesitate to ask!

You're local Railroad worker,
~Q

Qprime
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the topic of the Long Distance Tramway

Post by FerociousFeline on 5/20/2014, 10:34 pm

this is super cool owo I always felt so disconnected from all the towns and such and most of the time I dont have time to go to all the warps and such because im busy on my homeland doing stuff!
      Though I do enjoy living alone not having to worry about other players coming to my area unless tped requested and approved the thought did cross my mind that my area could potentially be more at risk from grief. HOWEVER that thought was eased a bit  because alot of staff on duty more than willing to rollback. Im still a little worried that grief-ers may do wide spread damage more quickly now...
   I enjoy the large space very much o3o all that elbow room .w.
 On a brighter note~ I enjoy visitors, and exploring areas, now I can see amazing builds of people as i cross the country in a lil cart o3o (sorry a bit of a creeper when it comes to houses and such I find it inspirational for my own personal builds :3 )
   I support this project so if you need help I will do my best to assist!

FerociousFeline
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhoblophone on 5/20/2014, 10:38 pm

E) Fifth option: Kingdom Protista. "Other". 
That hierarchy of life reference though.

Anyways, sounds like a fantastic idea, nice to see you're willing and eager to put the work into it.  Smile

Xhoblophone
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robbie291 on 5/20/2014, 10:56 pm

Q I hope your project takes off for you because after helping you the other day I know how labor intensive it's going to be for you on the scale that you are talking about. So that being said, if I can help you anymore just let me know.

robbie291
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for all the support.

Post by Qprime on 5/21/2014, 3:14 am

I'm glad to hear the positive feedback. As to feline's point, *shrug* griefers gonna grief. I think I've basically come to the same conclusion as her on that front. On the flipside of that coin, the system is likely to make "legit" guests more interested in the server and may lead to a growth in the oasis community. (at least that's one of the things the little hamster in my head keeps telling me.)

Another reason I chose 1000 blocks as the track length is precisely because it's a good long distance. Leaves plenty of untouched wilderness in-between lines. 500 would have been too short (and god, the work would have been even crazier to deal with) and, for example, 2000 wouldn't have resulted in the grid being interconnected enough to actually HIT all the big attractions. My hope is that my judgement call generates the enough balance so that people can still feel isolated enough if they want to, but still allow players to get out in the middle of nowhere and found a new town or build without spending hours walking.

Always happy to hear more thoughts!
~Q
.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}

Qprime
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A memo for helpers...

Post by Qprime on 5/22/2014, 4:27 am

Anyone willing and able to do so is readily invited to do so HOWEVER helping players should be STRONGLY CAUTIONED to leave valuables at home. Work on the rails often takes place at night in an unsheltered and unlit environment. Players without /god will be highly vulnerable is such a situation, so don’t bring anything to the work-site you don’t want to lose. This goes doubly so for players assisting with nether sections of the rail, for... obvious reasons.

P.S. Robbie, i found your stuff you lucky b****rd. It's safe.
.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}

Qprime
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robbie291 on 5/22/2014, 6:12 am

Thanks Q I'll remember that next time... It's the nature or the game sometimes I'll hit you up next time we are both in game together

robbie291
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top