Pokèmon

4 posters

Go down

Pokèmon Empty Pokèmon

Post by physicsprofessor 7/25/2013, 3:01 pm

Dear Oasis community,

I was having an in-game conversation about new vs. old pokemon games as well as move sets and thought that it would be more convenient to just bring the discussion here. 

I myself am very into new and old games and enjoy competitive battling greatly. 

Sincerely,

The Professor of Physics

physicsprofessor
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Back to top Go down

Pokèmon Empty Re: Pokèmon

Post by mickdude2 7/25/2013, 4:06 pm

Gen 1. all the way. In terms of video games, I prefer Leaf Green/Fire Red, but stopping at Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire. I think these games are the most fun, with original events and pokemon. 

I also prefer the older card game, mainly because the damage counters were realistic. More and more pokemon cards deal heavy damage or have high health bars, making them unfair to people with older cards (For example, my best card, Raichu EX could 120 damage every other turn. Now, it's not uncommon to see regular cards doing 100+ damage).
mickdude2
mickdude2
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle 7/25/2013, 4:14 pm

I loved the 2d pixel art worlds/effects
Then came the diamond/pearl era where the whole 3d bullshit popped up.
Lost most of my interest at that point..

I didn't quit playing though. Smile

2nd Gen for me, countless hours went into ruby/sapphire/emerald. 
Owned all three of em.

I also never couldn't choose another team of pokemon beside my team i formed in diamond/pearl, which were:

1. Tyranitar
  2. Metagross
  3. Togekiss
  4. Chimecho
  5. Kingdra
  6. Scizor
Leagle
Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Revilo410 7/25/2013, 4:36 pm

Sapphire Ruby and Emerald were undoubtedly the best games.
Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by physicsprofessor 7/25/2013, 6:15 pm

As a competitive battler, fifth gen is one of my favorites. I like the newer gameplay but still stay with older pokemon with newer abilities. Arcanine and Vaporeon are still two of my favorites, but I do enjoy adding pokemon such as Beartic or Bisharp (both 5th gen) into my teams. I was never a 3rd gen fan. I loved Emerald as a game, but now that I'm better at the game, it's too easy and the post plot is not as extensive as fifth gen or even 2nd gen. Fifth and Second have to be my favorite, followed by first and third, and then fourth in last (fourth gen pokes just didnt do anything for me 'cept for torterra and staraptor).

physicsprofessor
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/25/2013, 9:39 pm

mickdude2 wrote:Gen 1. all the way. In terms of video games, I prefer Leaf Green/Fire Red, but stopping at Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire. I think these games are the most fun, with original events and pokemon. 

I also prefer the older card game, mainly because the damage counters were realistic. More and more pokemon cards deal heavy damage or have high health bars, making them unfair to people with older cards (For example, my best card, Raichu EX could 120 damage every other turn. Now, it's not uncommon to see regular cards doing 100+ damage).

Another thing regarding the new cardgame: They've started requiring you to have the most updated/current sets of cards to even play in some official tournaments.... Makes it not so fun since they release tons and tons of cards that are deemed unusable later... Forget that, I play with my squirtle cards forever l:

Pokemon...

Most used Teams (Nickname "[shorteners/alt names] ~Pokemon):
Gens 1-4:
-Voltage "Volt" "Cannon Dewy"~Blastoise
-Locke ~Lucario
-Shocker III "Shock(er)" ~Pikachu

-JavaBlack "Black or Java"~Umbreon
-SkullCrusher "Skully" ~Marowak
-Syndyre "Cindy"~Torkoal

Plus some others switching every now and then:
-Munchy ~Snorlax
-Scarlet ~Scizor
-Squirt (My first pokemon) ~Blastoise
-Battler ~Butterfree
-Hazmat ~Dragonite
-Flamey ~Blaziken
-IamATURTLE "NotaTurtle" "RockTurtle" ~Shuckle
-Shocker (the original) ~Riachu
-Shocker Jr (stayed one evo stage) ~the lv100 pichu
-BloodyHell "Satan" ~Houndoom
-SoIHerd "Soy" "memekip" ~Mudkip (Before it evolved...)
-SmartBomb ~Electrode

Gen 5:
-Dewford "Dewy" "Ninja Dewy" ~Samurott
-Benjamin "Benny"~Stoutland
-Avocado "Shiniqua" ~Garbodor
-SirDonWool  "SpooderSheep" "Wooly" "Woolford"~Whimsicott
-Discord ~Haxorus
-Waturmeelon "Melon head" "Le Melon"~Hydreigon 

...and countless more I can't remember... I had 5 PC boxes full of my Pikachu Militia alone.

How I got into pokemon over time:

I watched season 1/2/3 of the anime on and  off, and all of the movies. Got into the games around the end of 3rd grade, but was limited to borrowing my cousin's file and playing link battles with his teams. There was an electronic day at school where we were aloud to bring electronics and trading cards in to play in 4th grade. I took some yugioh cards and while we were having some weird 5-way-battle setup with that, Someone let me borrow their pokemon leafgreen. He reset the save file, because it was old, laying in his game case, and didn't really care much about it. I accidentally took my gba home with the cartridge still in it over spring break, and became addicted to it... Spent the entire break trying to beat the pokemon league with only a blastoise, since I only trained one pokemon with the rest being HM-support XD

Game/gens opinions:
To this day, pokemon Yellow, Silver, Leaf Green, Ruby, and Emerald will always be my favorites.
I loved first,2nd, and 3rd gens.
Was really excited about 4th gen when it came out. Finally didn't have to carry around a glitchy cable and have it unplug during a battle. Also, a ton of people joined in during the 4th gen releases. I was in 8th grade then, but a lot of the younger grades were starting to play; some of them even sought the old games for GBC/GBA/GBASP out of interest. I had about 640 hours of playtime on pokemon Diamond before I reset it. I migrated all of my old pokemon to Diamond, so I could continue training them with new movesets and things, while replaying the old games for nostalgia. New system, upgraded graphics, and tons of new post-game content were also huge perks.

The 4th's gens new pokemon... however... just didn't stick for me.. not even the starters.... not like the other gens.... The one pokemon that really redeemed the 4th gen for me was Riolu/Lucario. Fighting/steel type, Looked cool, and one of the few "non-legendaries" to have their own movie. After obtaining Lucario, it became my primary pokemon throughout the game, and demolished the elite4 (I was kinda sad when they didn't have a huge difficulty increase for the league like leafgreen did after post-game)

Did not expect much from 5th gen. I hadn't liked a lot of the 4th gen pokemon, and this was released so quickly after developing an entire new gen, I figured it would be absolute crap. After, I started playing it, my mind changed. It wasn't complete crap- it was a great improvement in my opinion. I love the little oshawott starter, and really enjoyed the storyline and gym-maps. The entire overworld was amazing as well, with each city having unique landforms, buildings to explore, or hidden places. There were pokemon I got attached to along with oshawott, like Herdier, Roggenrola, and Axew. Overall I really like the 5th gen, despite my initial negativity.

6th gen?... No idea. I'm hoping it's good. I do like the starters, especially the grass one (which is rare for me, I almost always pick water or fire). The new team looks a bit ridiculous, but one does not simply top Team Rocket from Kanto *shrugs* they seem to be "team flare" so maybe they'll have good fire pokemon. The new fighting/dark type Panda thing looks bad ass. My feelings toward the new "fairy" type right now = hatred. My main problem? They're making jigglypuff a fairy type. JigglyPuff is the most powerful pink puff ever, it double-slapped the consciousness out of a Cleffairy army in the older anime. WHY ARE THEY MAKING IT SOME KIND OF FAIRY THING. The new eevee for it might be okay though, never really disappointed with eeveelutions. Also, we can customize our trainer for the first time (hair color/skin color) which is the biggest change in character customization since Crystal for Gameboy Color, when they first allowed you to pick a gender. "Newtwo" or "Mewthree" (what is that?) confuses me and I have no good thoughts on it right now.

Favorites from each gen:

Gen 1:
-Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise
-Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard
-Pikachu/Riachu (I don't care how overrated it is.)
-Snorlax
-Caterpie/Butterfree
-Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
-Diglet/Dugtrio
-Cubone/Marowak
-Eevee; Jolteon
-Zapdos
-Magnemite
-Slowpoke/Slowbro
-Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar
-Dragonite
-Ditto
-Onix

Gen 2:
-Cyndaquil+
-Totodile+
-mareep + (SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP)
-Pichu
-Wooper
-Sudowoodo
-Shuckle
-Teddiursa+
-Steelix
-Umbreon (my cousin loves Espeon, I love Umbreon. Always interesting rivalry when we battled because of this)
-Houndour+
-Raikoo
-Lugia
-Smeargle
-Elekid+
-Larvitar

Gen 3:
-Mudkip (Don't even say it)
-Torchic+
-Treeko+
-Zigzagoon
-Ralts+
-Minun/Plusle
-Trapinch+
-Corphish+
-Tropius
-Chimeco
-Torkoal
-Snorunt+
-The 3 Regis
-Bagon
-Latias/Latios
-Groundon
-Rayquaza

Gen 4:
-Riolu/Lucario

-Bonsly
-Magnezone
-Shellos
-Porygon-Z
-Shaymin/[Skyforme]Shaymin
-Shinx+
-Munchlax
-Glaceon 

Gen 5:
-Oshawott+
-Axew+
-Audino
-Sawk
-Palpitoad
-Sewaddle
-Cottonee/Whimsicott
-lilipup
-Roggenrola
-Trubbish+
-Keldeo
-Pawniard+
-Scraggy
-Crustle
-Deino+

Back to top Go down

Post by physicsprofessor 7/25/2013, 9:58 pm

I have to look at 6th gen from a competitive view. Fairy type is a redemption song for all the monotyped normal and psychic pokemon. Normal is a horrid type, rendering it useless except for maybe Snorlax and Togekiss. Fairy type gives pokemon such as Gardevior and Jiggly a chance against pokes such as Haxorus and Dragonite, an idea that we coudn't fathom a year ago. Everyone loved the introduction of Steel and ghost types when they were released, and Gamefreak/nintendo have not let me down yet with any of the games (gen 4 wasn't a total let down because of the remakes and Staraptor+brave bird) so I trust this thing to be a success. 

Top Three Favorites for Each Generation

Kanto:
Arcanine (Fast and Physically Offensive)
Gengar (Dream Eater+Hypnosis)
Vaporeon (Defensive+crazy Hp)

Johto:
Ampharos (SO CUTE)
Tyranitar (haven't played him in plot, but competitively he's a tank)
Crobat (Such a step up from the pokemon we all hate-Zubat)

Hoenn:
Breloom (fast and strong and grass type <3 )
Aggron (Incredibly bulky and offensive)
Flygon (favorite dragon Pokemon)

Sinnoh:
Floatzle (used him in my first 4th gen run through. nostalgia)
Staraptor (Brave bird)
Mamoswine (He is a OHKO machine!)

Unova:
Escavalier (Megahorn. that is all)
Bisharp (I have a thing for steel types)
Chandelure (Its a great type combo)

I'm convinced that 6th gen will be good cuz of the Panda (Pangoro I think) and Xerneas looks awesome and is a fairy type. Also, the world is going to be gigantic and I'm just excited now! xD

Sincerely,
The Professor of Physics

physicsprofessor
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down