What is a Veteran?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is a Veteran?

Post by ReservistLoki on 4/17/2011, 12:07 am

What does it mean to be a Veteran? What is a Veteran?

ReservistLoki
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is a Veteran?

Post by dtfgator on 4/17/2011, 12:39 am

According to Ariley's "descriptions of rank" thread in the server info section of the forums, a veteran is:

[a] rank available by application on the forums. Must be Trusted rank to apply. Given only to players who are extremely trusted, and have been playing on the server for quite a while. Extra powers - gain the ability to teleport to other players, and to teleport other players to you.

You obviously know this as you have been playing for a long time which leads me to believe that your question is more rhetorical than literal, but regardless, that is the official definition.

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is a Veteran?

Post by Nova042 on 4/17/2011, 2:33 pm

Here lies my Issues with the Veteran position,

While I have issue with both the Artisan and Veteran positions, the Veteran position is voted upon so I will be focusing my comments on it over Artisan.

1) Veteran is not a staff position: This means that the player has no obligation to help, or assist other players with issues, griefs or any other problems. This leaves the Veteran with the option to be extremely selfish and use their newly acquired powers only on themselves.

2) There is no clearly defined job description: While the forums does have a "description of rank" as Gator has been so kind to quote, there is no description of what the Veteran must do with their powers, only that it is given to extremely trusted players. If this is the case, then the only qualification to becoming a Veteran is to be more trustworthy than the average Trusted player.

3) Perception of others: From what I gather, the perception of the community is that the Veteran is the in-between of a player and a staff. They are expected by the members of the server to be more active in the community helping others and offering assistance when needed. But because of the first two points I have made, this is not true and technically a Veteran can go without helping anyone.

4) The position is voted upon: Every position outside of the staff circle is given to players that the staff deems worthy of, not through the decision of the community and their peers. Veteran is different as it is the only non staff position that requires their peers vote for them. Through the act of voting for someone, there is the unspoken assumption that the winner will then use their new powers to turn around and help the ones that voted for them, but again because of my first two points, they don't have to do this. So when someone recieves a Veteran position and then does not return the favor, the voters are unhappy.

I have to be honest in that I do not truly understand the Veteran position, and must agree with ReservistLoki's question of, "What does it mean to be a Veteran?" If your not staff, but your better than the other players, what are you?

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top