Texture Packs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Texture Packs

Post by Nova042 on 4/14/2011, 5:21 am

Hey guys and gals!

I've been playing minecraft with a somewhat self modified version of the Jolicraft texture pack for quite some time. But last night as I was building I decided to take a look at what my place looks like with the default minecraft texture pack.... Guys, seriously. If your not using a texture pack, ANY texture pack, then I feel that you are doing yourself quite a disservice. They are free and easy to install. I want to show you some shots I took of my place with and without Jolicraft to show you the difference. After the pictures I'll explain the very simple way to find and install texture packs so that you can MAYBE be as stylish as I am.

WHERE TO FIND:
First off, you can find a huge list of texture packs on Minecraftforum.net. Jolicraft (what I use) is a 16 bit texture pack. The higher the bit, the more detail your blocks will have. This 256 bit pack is what people consider as one of the best high quality texture packs. WORD OF WARNING: I have heard that higher bit texture packs can slow down your game. This is not advisable for people who already have a slow game. Also, I believe high quality texture packs require an outside mod be installed before they will work.

HOW TO INSTALL:
Its real simple.

1) Download the .zip or .rar pack of your choice from the above website link.
2) Find your ".minecraft" folder by typing %appdata% (you need the %s) into your Windows search bar in the start menu. Minecraft should be at the top because the file starts with a period.
3) Open the "texturepacks" folder.
4) Drag and drop the .zip/.rar file into that folder.
5) Log into minecraft
6) Click the "Texture Paks" bar and select your pack (you can also use this to return to the default if you want).

Its that simple!

MAC USERS:
I have not used a Mac in years, but I did find some suggestions on how to install texture packs on a Mac (You may also need to download Mac specific texture packs. These are sometimes available on the Texture Pack Central link above.

1) Go to Macintosh HD > users > username > Library > Application Support > minecraft > texturepacks
2) Now install patch located in the folder "mixcraft v17 pack". Browse the folders and you should be able to find it.
3) Load minecraft and it should work.

If you guys have any issues or questions, please feel free to post them here. I will do my best to assist you with what knowledge I have.

-Nova

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Texture Packs

Post by scottdogs on 4/14/2011, 1:12 pm

i have a mac and its extremely simple. Just put your minecraft game into the folder of the texture pack and thats it.

scottdogs
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mhreynolds on 4/14/2011, 1:19 pm

shortstuf7's clean design www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99951 is is a good texturepack

mhreynolds
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saeTan on 4/14/2011, 1:43 pm

scottdogs wrote:i have a mac and its extremely simple. Just put your minecraft game into the folder of the texture pack and thats it.

That's a faggot way of doing it. No offense.

Also, it's really an opinion. I use three texture packs: Painterly, Misa, and the default. I just switch depending on my mood.

saeTan
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scottdogs on 4/14/2011, 1:57 pm

saeTan wrote:That's a faggot way of doing it. No offense.
hehe, why do you say that?

scottdogs
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saeTan on 4/14/2011, 2:52 pm

Because with that way,

1. Some mods that read the path of config files don't work
2. You have to manually move the minecraft folder to switch texture packs instead of doing it in-game

So, as suggested, go to user/library/application support/texture packs, and insert the zip file of the texture pack.

saeTan
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top