Hang in there!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hang in there!

Post by Ariley on 4/5/2011, 10:34 am

Just want to let you guys know, we haven't forgotten about you. :D

We're actually preparing for the new server right now, and progress is going well. We should be off vanilla and back playing on the old map, with mods (ranks, commands) in the next few days.

-Ariley and staff

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://oasis-smp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hang in there!

Post by Nova042 on 4/5/2011, 2:22 pm

You guys are like the Blizzards of customer service. Keep up the good work. I know the server has been a lot more quiet the last day or two because people are turned off by a vanilla server (this is why I am against Vanilla Tuesdays) and I would like to offer a few suggestions:

1) Remember that the purpose of this game is to build - If your afraid that your going to spend all this time building stuff only to have it erased, just remember the reason why you play this game in the first place. Take advantage of a temporary fresh map to experiment and get ideas for what you would be interested in building on the real one.

2) Outsmart the griefers - Griefers are opportunistic and lazy. They don't like to walk far to grief, and they they take advantage of passing by your home to steal stuff. So what do you do?
A) Build quite a ways from spawn - Although this can be difficult without /spawn /home commands, griefers are less likely to find your home.
B) Build close to spawn, but underground - In every case where I have built underground, I have never once been griefed. It's not easy to find a place hidden deep below the surface.
C) Hide your entrance - make a 1x1x2 hole into the side of a mountain and fill the hole with dirt that you remove and replace each time you enter, then plant a red/yellow flower next to it so you can find it again.

3) Hide your s%*t - Seperate your stuff between 2-3 chests, then hide those chests somewhere. Behind a wall, under a staircase, underground, even outside your house. Its a pain in the butt, but even if they find one you'll only be missing 1/3 of your stuff rather than all of it.

4) Make a dummy chest - Again, griefers are opportunistic. Put a dummy chest out in plain sight so people will think that its your only one. Make sure to put stuff in it. People may suspect that it is a dummy if there is 3 chests around with nothing in them. Put 2 stacks of dirt, feathers, arrows, cobblestone, even a piece or two of coal in it to make people think you use it, but your just real poor.

Don't think of Vanilla as "downtime" where all your effort is fruitless. Think of it as a chance to brainstorm and experiment without destroying precious land on the real map. And remember to have fun, that's why we play!

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariley on 4/5/2011, 2:55 pm

^^ :D

I think I love you.

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by dtfgator on 4/5/2011, 6:56 pm

I think nova deserves a promotion just for that. =D

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 4/5/2011, 7:14 pm

Ariley92 wrote:^^ :D

I think I love you.

:oops:

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XxLegendxX98 on 4/5/2011, 8:27 pm

or you can also make a chest behind a lava fountain built into your wall, DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS FIRESPREAD IS TURNED OFF
if you have a chest behind lava just right click the lava and it will go into the chest. the same thing can be done with a minecart. right click it and u jump into the minecart then u can get out and you went through the lava unharmed and you can also make a hidden button that makes a minecart boost a minecart to you and then when you get in a minecart boosts you back to the hidden storage room (if your good with redstone) and if you need help with this go ahead and ask me lol.

XxLegendxX98
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saeTan on 4/5/2011, 8:30 pm

Nova042 wrote:You guys are like the Blizzards of customer service. Keep up the good work. I know the server has been a lot more quiet the last day or two because people are turned off by a vanilla server (this is why I am against Vanilla Tuesdays) and I would like to offer a few suggestions:

Date. Next friday. I want one.

saeTan
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariley on 4/5/2011, 8:44 pm

saeTan wrote:
Nova042 wrote:You guys are like the Blizzards of customer service. Keep up the good work. I know the server has been a lot more quiet the last day or two because people are turned off by a vanilla server (this is why I am against Vanilla Tuesdays) and I would like to offer a few suggestions:

Date. Next friday. I want one.

why next friday?

Ariley
Master Miner
Master Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova042 on 4/5/2011, 8:46 pm

XxLegendxX98 wrote:or you can also make a chest behind a lava fountain built into your wall...

I had thought about adding this idea to the list, but it seems that it would be a little too obvious. I have seen this done many times before and expect to find a hidden chest if I ever find one. But thank you for the mine cart suggestion, it is an interesting idea.

Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top